Arriva Rail London - Qualified/Trainee Driver Vacancies - Dec 2016

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by greatkingrat, 7 Dec 2016.

1. greatkingrat

greatkingrat Established Member

2. 387star

387star Established Member

Out of interest where are their depots

New cross gate i sone and I think willesden

3. greatkingrat

For the purposes of this it will be New Cross Gate, Willesden or Chingford.

There are also depots at Watford Jn and Euston, but they have a waiting list for internal transfers so won't be taking any new people.

4. Jambo86

Jambo86 Member

Looks like a great opportunity. As someone who has recently qualified as a night tube driver, with a minimum of 12 months before being able to apply for full-time, I wonder if this is a chance worth looking into as an alternative. Does anyone have any details on the London Overground pension scheme?. Also I believe that their recruitment/assessment is more akin to mainline train driving as opposed to LU, is this true? I know for certain that being qualified on LU holds no sway or crossover though.

5. Aivilo

Aivilo Member

I'm ex LUL and going mainline was a great move. Unfortunately as you state they don't consider metro experience and the testing maybe similar. Feel free to drop me a pm if you want any advice

6. Lrd

Lrd Established Member Jobs & Careers Assistant

I can see quite a few night tube drivers going for this due to the long waiting lists at most depots to go full time.

7. Jambo86

Jambo86 Member

There's actually 0 waiting list on a good few of the manual lines depots according to the last list I saw, which obviously I can't post here. The ATO lines are a different matter though, but then I wonder if those drivers would want to go through the misery of qualifying and training for manual trains on the Overground. Some of my NT colleagues that landed on ATO lines certainly wouldn't, as they appreciate the extra level of job security as a result, I.E less chances to have a spad and so on.

8. Sirgerbil

Sirgerbil Member

I can help with assessments.

There's no competency questions on the application just situational judgement questions.

2 assessments centres, first one usually somewhere central and second at OPC in Watford, LOROL require enhanced passes so those that have already tested may have to again. LOROL also use the VSE test.

When I did my assessments it all moved quite fast had sat all assessments within 2 months.

9. SheikG

SheikG Member

I'm assuming there is a DMI after assessments?

10. Sirgerbil

Sirgerbil Member

Apologies, yes there is.

11. SheikG

SheikG Member

12. Amoaz6

Amoaz6 Member

Last year I passed all the assessments for mtr crosstalk but unfortunately failed the MMI, does anyone know whether I would have to do all the assessments again if I pass the application stage?

I do believe mtr required the enhanced scores aswell.

13. W230

W230 Established Member

Hmmm interesting.

What routes are signed at Chingford?
    Presumably:
    Liverpool Street - Chingford
    Liverpool Street - Enfield/Cheshunt (also a diversionary via Tottenham Hale)

Is that it or are any of the GA routes still signed? Is there still a GA depot at Chingford? The only thing putting me off looking for a move would be the potentially very small route card...

14. greatkingrat

They still sign Liverpool Street to Ilford Depot as that is where the trains are maintained.

15. W230

W230 Established Member

Thanks. I'm guessing not LST - CHI via Stratford though (for those engineering days)?

What are the shifts like? I know someone who knows someone who works there and say they pretty much get every weekend off (which surprised me as I thought Sunday's were inside) as they said it's easy enough to swap.

16. bagazon

bagazon Member

Hi The OPC is clear but what does first assessment center mean?
    Some group exercises like Virgine or ...?

17. bagazon

bagazon Member

Hi any reply from LOROL?

18. greatkingrat

You can't get from Stratford to Chingford direct anyway, only to Tottenham Hale.

Sundays are outside the working week for Chingford at the moment, but be warned that is likely to change in the not too distant future as part of the new concession.

19. Lrd

Do you have the routes for each depot by any chance?

20. CaseyJones

CaseyJones Member

Just applied! Have previously passed all assessments above national standard so hoping for the best. ;)

21. greatkingrat

Its fairly simple really, they operate as three separate units without any overlap, so Willesden does NLL, WLL, DC, Goblin, New Cross Gate does the whole ELL and Chingford does all of West Anglia.

22. Knowledgeboy

Knowledgeboy Member

I've just applied. Live in chingford. My cv is a little sparse as I've been self employed for the last 11 years since the age of 24 but nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose.

23. Need2

Need2 Member

May I ask, how do you know this?

It would have been helpful if in the vacancy description it actually said where the vacancies were and not "various-across the route" as one of the recruiting criteria is "Firstly we will check if you live within the specified time from the depot"

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
    Quite right, got to be in it to win it!

Think I will apply later, going to pre write all the cover letter/additional info stuff first and save it.
    Is the application process just the 1 page after you click 'apply', ie personal details, cv, work and education history and the multi choice questions?

24. Lrd

Yes it is. It's fairly simple really.

25. Amoaz6

Amoaz6 Member

Last year I passed all the assessments for mtr crossrail but unfortunately failed the MMI, does anyone know whether I would have to do all the assessments again if I pass the application stage?

I do believe mtr required the enhanced scores aswell.

26. Need2

Need2 Member

Thanks, and good luck!

27. whoosh

whoosh Member

Probably seen the same post on Facebook that I have, from a Driver (who's a Union Rep) who works at LOROL.

28. Sikes 88

Sikes 88 Member

Just applied. Fingers crossed

29. Skoodle

Skoodle Member

It will be a looong loooooong looooooong time before anyone gets a reply from LOROL! :p

30. djsmith200

djsmith200 Member

Don't you just love those multiple choice SJ questions!