• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aschurch to Torquay in April

Status
Not open for further replies.

ModChod

Hi All,

We are hoping to go to Torquay from Ashchurch in April. Most likely dates being outgoing on 17th and return on 20th. We are flexible on times and even dates to an extent (could be 18th - 21st for example).

There are 2 of us, both adults an neither hold a railcard.

We are hoping some one can advise on the best available fares and where best to split. We realise tickets for these dates are yet to be released but hope someone can help anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dzug2

The best fares might will be advance singles for the through journey - looking at a random date in February for example £40 return (each) is achievable.

Otherwise I'd suggest splitting at Bristol and Exeter, maybe Taunton as well.

An offpeak (walkon) return is £45.50 - curiously cheaper than the Cheltenham/Exeter equivalent fare

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The best fares might will be advance singles for the through journey - looking at a random date in February for example £40 return (each) is achievable.

Otherwise I'd suggest splitting at Bristol and Exeter, maybe Taunton as well.

An offpeak (walkon) return is £45.50 - curiously cheaper than the Cheltenham/Exeter equivalent fare

If the best Advance fares are £40, I'd certainly not bother with them when for only £5 more you can have a flexible ticket with no stress about missing trains or plans changing before travel.

The fare from Cheltenham is also £45.50 as far as I can see; both are priced by XC.

John @ home

Established Member

The fare from Cheltenham is also £45.50 as far as I can see; both are priced by XC.
I think this confusion has been caused by some fares being omitted from the Fares Manuals.

The Standard flexible adult return fares I can find are:

NFM 10: 4 Sep 2011 - 1 Jan 2012
Ashchurch - Torquay Off-Peak Return (SVR) £42.00 Validity Code WG; Anytime Return (SOR) £50.50
Ashchurch - Exeter SVR £50.50 2V; SOR £96.00
Cheltenham - Torquay SVR £42.00 WG; SOR £48.50 XC only; SOR £50.50 Any Permitted
Cheltenham - Exeter SVR £50.50 2V; SOR £96.00

NFM 11: 2 Jan - 19 May 2012
Ashchurch - Torquay SVR £45.50 WG; SOR £54.50
Ashchurch - Exeter SVR £53.50 2V; SOR £104.00
Cheltenham - Torquay SVR £45.50 WG; SOR £54.50
Cheltenham - Exeter SVR £53.50 2V; SOR £104.00

All these fares are set by CrossCountry. Those in red appear on booking engines but not in the Fares Manuals.

dzug2

Digging around a bit, it is possible to do the journey rather more cheaply (but slowly) using FGW only advance tickets - for example £17 next Tuesday and £12.50 on a random date in March (both singles on the 0924 ex Ashchurch). These are rather well hidden and I suspect rarely sell.

To find them on the FGW site do a normal search for single tickets then click the slower cheaper option. It's then a question of clicking through the fares until one shows as available

John @ home

Established Member
These are rather well hidden and I suspect rarely sell.

To find them on the FGW site do a normal search for single tickets then click the slower cheaper option. It's then a question of clicking through the fares until one shows as available
A more straightforward way of finding them is National Rail Enquiries -> Advanced search -> Show me "First Great Western".

Status
Not open for further replies.