• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ash39's Trip Reports & Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
A very economical day out after your doubtless bank card straining trip to the Cathedral of railways in the border city last week and VTEC are to be creddited for trying to run something in their sea of delays and cansilations over the weekend and better still a winner for you.

Even better yet was the mandatry moves producing results, nicely done.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
Always nice to get a required 221 on a required move, saves looking out for them :)

I bet that 67 caused chaos heading south

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Some gorgeous photos, as always, and nice work on the two winning 67s. Not an easy feat in this day and age, and my last 2 will probably never be got. 007 and 030 for the record.

ash39

Established Member
Never say never! At least those two are still active, in fact 67007 did the Tyne Valley drags the weekend after 67003.

ash39

Established Member
I've found myself with a couple of days off to take before the end of the year - 21 hours in total (strangely we do holidays in hours at our place). I might tag one of them onto the Christmas shutdown so I can finish earlier, but the other two are free and I need help deciding what to do with them.

A few options I've been weighing up:

1) Early VTEC advance to London, a day travelcard followed by the sleeper to Edinburgh. 'Edinburgh Days Out Travelpasss' followed by a VTEC advance home, essentially a reverse of a trip I did in Feb 2016. Learnt my lesson though and will be getting a berth on the sleeper this time if I go with this plan!

2) Drive to Cardiff (no reasonable priced advances, and all on Voyagers) - two days of 'Explore Cardiff & Valleys' day rovers, staying in the hotel next to the station. This option would appeal as I really want to get the Welsh pacers in the book, but the area is a bit limiting. I'd prefer to do an 'Explore South Wales' rover, but I'd have to waste two days of it, so might be better leaving this one for next year, unless anyone has any better ideas on how I can do the Cardiff area?

3) VTEC advance to Ely - Anglia Plus Day Rover, try find my last couple of 90's. Stay in Ipswich where I stayed last year (great budget hotel near the station). Early AGA advance to London the next day, day in London then VTEC advance home.

I've gone through other options as well, involving staying closer to home.

Any help or ideas appreciated!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
You can probably do London far more easily than Cardiff, and with the limited life of the 142s and 143s down there I would go with that.

I'm not familar with a hotel all that near Cardiff Central station though, could you perhaps elaborate on which one it is? Not that I expect to need to know any time soon, but could be worth burying it in the memory banks.

You could avoid Voyagers all the way if you wanted to on the journey to/from Cardiff. Head via Manchester and the ATW hourly services via Shrewsbury. It's often not a cheap route, due to its popularity, but 175s are so much nicer than Voyagers!

ash39

Established Member
In terms of shear veriety the London Edinburgh move although rather than giving nasty VTEC any brass go to London with GC and home with XC.

I think this is the current favourite. I usually prefer variety to outright winners and I'd like a proper ride on the sleeper before the mk3's go. Found some reasonable AP's too...

You can probably do London far more easily than Cardiff, and with the limited life of the 142s and 143s down there I would go with that.

I'm not familar with a hotel all that near Cardiff Central station though, could you perhaps elaborate on which one it is? Not that I expect to need to know any time soon, but could be worth burying it in the memory banks.

You could avoid Voyagers all the way if you wanted to on the journey to/from Cardiff. Head via Manchester and the ATW hourly services via Shrewsbury. It's often not a cheap route, due to its popularity, but 175s are so much nicer than Voyagers!

That's my thinking on the pacers, but I could afford to wait until next summer. That's a route option I'd not considered though, will look into that this evening cheers!

ash39

Established Member
Well I've ended up almost doing both.

I've dropped the sleeper plan, I'll hopefully revisit this next summer when the mornings are lighter again. I'd rather do it from London through to Fort William for the proper experience before the mk3's go.

Instead, I'm going to Glasgow for the day next Thursday after discovering some very favourably priced advances. It's the wife's birthday coming up, and she was after some Almond Baileys which you can only get from about 5 stores in the UK, fortunately for me one of them is in the Strathclyde daytripper area! So that's a birthday present ticked off and an area very much undiscovered for me. I've only got both Glasgow stations and a handful of units, so I expect plenty of winners.

I'm also looking to go ahead with the Cardiff plan, after Tech's advice on the ticketing. It turns out I can do it via Manchester for £30 less than the direct route, and it avoids Voyagers entirely. I can also do the WAG on the way back as far as Shrewsbury. I'm just trying to decide if I can justify the upgrade to first class to try the famed evening meal before committing to booking!

Last edited:

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I'm a fussy eater, so for me the upgrade is an easy no. I'm glad my advice came in handy, shows what feels like common knowledge can be helpful to others!

Sounds like a plan with the Glasgow trip, almond flavoured Baileys sounds a bit strange. I thought the coffee and the orange flavours were odd!

ash39

Established Member
It's actually dairy free Baileys made from Almond milk, rather than the other spin-off flavoured variants you mention (we've got a half empty bottle of the Pumkin Spice one, bloody awful!). That's why it's so hard to get hold of over here, I think it's more widely available in the states.

Just booked Cardiff for the end of November. As highly rated as the first class dining is, it was a hefty uplift in cost. I'm sure I'll find something to eat in Cardiff for a lot less. So I'll be slumming it. Hoping 67015 stays on the set until then...

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Sounds good, but I would choose VTEC over any other TOC, regarding your three options.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Feel free to get in touch ash39 for advice on Cardiff, being a former Swansea lad and South Wales being a former stomping ground I shall be awaiting that trip report with earnest! I must return actually for that new platform 8, the bay platform at Pontypridd and the new platform layout at Barry Island. One day...

Kite159

Veteran Member
Feel free to get in touch ash39 for advice on Cardiff, being a former Swansea lad and South Wales being a former stomping ground I shall be awaiting that trip report with earnest! I must return actually for that new platform 8, the bay platform at Pontypridd and the new platform layout at Barry Island. One day...

You forgot the new platform 5 at Queen Street, maybe even the Bay bay (1) if you need that ;)

ash39

Established Member

Just realised I forgot to reply to your query on the Cardiff accommodation, I've gone for the Sleeperz hotel literally overlooking the eastern station throat. Luckily I don't struggle with sleep too much so the squeel of pacers shouldn't bother me too much, I'm hoping for a decent view of the line!

I arrive in Cardiff at around 10:30 on day 1 - going to try and cover every pacer/153 diagram I can on day 1 and then see where that leaves me. I'm trying to decide whether I can be bothered working out all the diagrams on RTT or whether to just wing it and hope for the best. Obviously I'll be trying to score shacks too but as I haven't got a single Welsh station to my name, that won't be difficult! Day 2 I'm probably going to buy (additionally) a South Wales First Bus & Rail ticket and try get a few HST's in. Assuming no hiccups with their introduction, I should also be able to cover one of the IEP diagrams. I wasn't expecting to get one in the book so soon after introduction. It's more out of curiosity for what I've got to 'look forward to' when VTEC get theirs, rather than an urge to get the red pen out!

ash39

Established Member
Strathclyde Daytripper – Thursday 12th October 2017

I was surprised to find reasonable advances for this trip just two weeks prior to the day. I was initially looking into spending one of my last days off of the year in London but it was actually cheaper to head north. The alarm sounded just before 0530, and after a quick breakfast I made my free parking area of choice, arriving at 0607 leaving plenty of time for the stroll to the station to catch the 0639 service to Edinburgh.

In the end I had even more time, as my train was 4L leaving Doncaster, and down to 6L at Hambleton Jn. I watched 91117 arrive and depart with the 0630 to Kings Cross, slightly annoying as I’ve only had a measly 20 miles logged on it. I went and purchased a pumpkin spice latte for the journey and made my way over to platform 9. I noted 150275 in new Northern livery in the Harrogate bay, annoyingly leading winners 142037 and 150211. A slight irony in calling 150275’s livery ‘new’, as it’s now been 18 months since the franchise changeover but the pace of change has been so pedestrian that it’s still a novelty to see one.

I was about to line up a photo of 150275 when I realised it was 0640 and the train wasn’t far away. Straight away I knew it wasn’t 91110, my last required one, when I saw the flash of red on the front. I was more than happy with my 91130 though, my favourite 91. It was also sub-100 miles so this would bump it up nicely.

We were still 4L leaving York. My itinerary on the ticket booking had me down as arriving EDB at 0921 and catching the 0945 to Glasgow Queen St, but I saw no reason why I couldn’t make the 0930 service if we arrived in Edinburgh on time. Coach B was almost empty, and my reserved seat B39 had a chunky pillar obstructing the view so I moved to B51 and made a note for next time. It’s been a while since my last 91 journey under the cover of darkness, and I forgot how enjoyable it is watching the sparks fly up front. It reminded me of a great non-stop run I had between London and York on 91127 in March 2015.

The darkness gave way to a fantastic pink sunrise just before Darlington. A fair few people were waiting to board here, but unlike York, coach B stops way up the platform away from the entrance, so people without reservations tend to board the middle of the train. We were back on time by Newcastle, where I saw my last Cross Country HST power car 43357 leaving for Plymouth. At least I knew it was out and about. Strangely there was no thunderbird at NCL, but 67006 was at Heaton, perhaps for fuel as there was nothing visible on Heaton apart from a couple of Grand Central HST’s.

We slowed for the curve at the now infamous Morpeth. It was a lot busier on the southbound platform than when I got stranded for an hour and a half back in July! We arrived in Edinburgh 2L at 0921, and I casually walked over to platform 20 for a shot of my inbound train.

91130 Edinburgh 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I felt I still had enough time to make the 0930 from platform 11, but being a relative novice when it comes to the regional services around Waverley I went through the barriers towards the Haymarket facing bay platforms before I realised that 11 was not one of them. Obviously the barriers then wouldn’t let me back through so I asked for assistance. The assistance from the lady on the gateline was best described as laboured. She also insisted I move back, but I'm not sure why as the barriers opened towards her. Very odd. I found platform 11 round the corner but there were two 170’s and only the top one was forming the 0930, so I quickly shuffled up the platform and boarded winner 170428 in the nick of time.

The journey seemed to drag, and although we kept time all the way, we were held outside Queen Street which ruined my chances of making the Anniesland shuttle which was a 158 in the old ‘Barbie’ livery. I eventually found the ‘travel shop’, which was actually outside the station. Daytripper purchased, I was actually still ahead of time so pondered my next move. I could have had 156512 on the second Anniesland shuttle diagram but I thought it was a dud, before realising it was 514 I’d had. For some reason I always seem to think there's 112 156’s rather than 114.

I made my way to the low level platforms, but having just missed a Balloch service there was a 10 minute wait for the next westbound service, so I crossed to the other side and took double winners 334005 and 334039 to first winner shack of the day, High Street. A quick cross to the other side, passing a revenue block on the footbridge, allowed me to catch the service I would have waited for at Queen Street. It was another pair of 334’s, formed of 334008 and 334009. I took these back through Queen Street to Charing Cross.

334009 Charing Cross 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I then filled my boots with a series of quick hops, taking 334011 (yes another one) to Partick, followed by 318262 and 318253 to Hyndland, then finally a 320 - 320301 to Anniesland. I’m a big 320/321/322 fan so it was good to get my first one. And why not start from the beginning??

Then I got back to my original plan, and caught 320305 through to the end of the line at Balloch.

320305 Balloch 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I didn’t want to get the same unit back down the branch, especially as I’d just comfortably cleared it for 10 miles, so I went for some chips for lunch as it was now 1200 exactly. The chippy directly opposite the station didn’t open until 1600, but luckily there was another one a short walk away. I’d had a long standing joke with my wife and friends about having a battered mars bar on my bucket list, so I took the opportunity to try one. It felt right that it was to be in Scotland! I also got a small fish and chips, which gave me a bit of a conundrum as logically you’d eat the sweet after the savoury but I wanted to experience the mars bar whilst it was hot, so I did it in reverse. The mars bar was great, but sickly. The fish and chips didn’t look or smell the best but were actually decent.

With almost perfect timing as I almost finished my lunch sat on a wall, the incoming Balloch terminator arrived. I was surprised to see a pair as 320305 had been almost empty earlier. I was even more surprised to see a mixed pair of 318264 and 320310, as I didn’t know the units could work in multiple together.

I finished the last of the chips on board, before bailing at Dumbarton Central. I had my eye on the West Highland Line service which I assumed would be at least a pair, as they split to serve Oban and Mallaig, but it was even better as triple winners 156477, 156465 and 156496 rolled in.

I took these one stop to Helensburgh Upper, where I ID’d the rear unit which I didn’t manage to see before boarding. Interestingly, it was a trio of obsolete Barbie liveried units.

Helensburgh Upper is a lovely little single track station, with a real rural feel to it despite not being too far from Glasgow. A large sign tells you you’re at the gateway to the West Highland Line, which made me even keener to do the sleeper up this way to Fort William at some point. I started my walk to Helensburgh Central, realising on the way why it’s called ‘Upper’, as it’s situated on a whopper of a hill. I was glad I hadn’t done this move the other way around!

Helensburgh Central featured three consecutively numbered 334’s – 026 to 028. 334027 was stabled, whilst 334026 and 334028 would be my next move, taking me to Dalreoch. I had a short wait here before 320311 and 320304 came off the Balloch branch to take me to Westerton.

320311 & 320304 Dalreoch 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I made my first mistake here, making an accidental -1 onto a delayed Milngavie service which I thought was a Dalmuir service. I was indending to head back the way I came to either Drumry or Drumchapel. At least another branch would be ticked off for coverage, as there was no point bailing at Bearsden or Hillfoot for the same units back, so I stayed on 334003 and 334021 to the end of the line at Milngavie.

I left the train here, as I wanted a drink and it was only a 15 minute wait for a different unit back. Fortunately I was on the ball and noticed the information screens were showing ‘delayed’ for the next service, and sure enough after consulting RTT the inbound service had been cancelled, so I hopped back on, happy to count Milngavie as a station score as it was now a different service.

I wanted to head towards Glasgow Central to try and sample a Class 314 and complete my aim for the day of sampling every EMU in the area (except a Class 380 as I’d experienced these previously). The service I was on was heading via Queen St, so I got off at Westerton (again), the whole round trip up the branch taking just 15 minutes. 66736 passed as we pulled in with the Fort William Alcan tanks. 318250 was up next, which I took to Partick as this was also going via Queen St. Finally 320412 and 318255 took me to Glasgow Central (low level).

As well as the 314's, I also wanted to get some more 156’s in the book. I decided to do this first, taking 156432 to Dunlop. I was disappointed not to see any tyres. I was actually in two minds whether to get off at all, we were 3L which threw my theoretical connection into jeopardy, but even more of a concern was the fact that service I planned to meet hadn’t appeared to have left Kilmarnock on RTT. I bailed anyway, and made my way over the road bridge to the other side. I saw headlights in the distance which was a welcome sight. Not sure what went on with RTT but 156434 appeared more or less RT to take me to Barrhead.

The platform layout at Barrhead allowed me to get a shot of my train leaving next to the one I was about to board, which is a bit unusual.

156434 & 156494 Barrhead 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

156494 was next, to fantastically named Crossmyloof. Some kids inexplicably came down the platform ramp and crossed the tracks, only to leave the station again from the other platform. Absolutely idiotic not to mention pointless behaviour, a few of their friends watched on in horror before walking over the road bridge to meet them on the other side.

I had around ten minutes here, which was about nine too many, but soon dud 156434 pulled in. Pleasingly it had hooked up to a friend at Glasgow Central and winner 156496 was on the back. The extra coaches were needed too, as this was the busiest train I’d been on all day, spending the 3 miles to Giffnock wedged against the door.

I’d come to Giffnock to buy some dairy free Almond Baileys for the wife’s birthday, which is only available in a select few stores in the UK (it’s more widely available in America). Giffnock is actually a nice station especially with the autumn colour. If I’d had my skates on I could probably have made it to the shop and back in time for the next Glasgow train, but I didn’t bother rushing. I was back with 20 minutes to spare, and noted I could head further towards East Kilbride and make a +3 at Clarkston, but the connection went down to a +1 due to a delay so I didn’t want to risk it. I was actually pleased to see dud from earlier 156432 arrive, plan aborted!

156432 Giffnock 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

As expected, the same pair I caught from Crossmyloof returned me to Glasgow, having done the full run to East Kilbride and back. I had a +8 at Glasgow for what I hoped would be my first 314, but due to a crawl into the station this was down to a +6. Coupled with the peak crowds and a useless scratchcard ticket which doesn’t operate barriers, I was slightly up against it but made the Neilston-bound service with a minute or so to spare. I was hoping to see an SPT carmine and cream liveried unit, so I was happy with the pairing of 314202 (in C&C!) leading 314304. I was originally heading for Mount Florida as I liked the name, but bailed at Crosshill instead for a quick cross platform change onto another carmine & cream unit, 314215, which I took back the way I came to Pollokshields East.

314215 Pollokshields East 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I’d now got my head around this line, it couldn’t be better for ticking off units and shacks with its 15 minute service frequency and island platforms. Next up was carmine and cream (OK, maybe they’re not that rare after all) 314205 to Queens Park.

I needed to start heading back for my train back to Edinburgh. My final move on this line fell to 314213 which took me back to Glasgow, where we pulled in next to 314203. Maybe next time.

314203 & 314213 Glasgow Central 12/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

I grabbed a meal deal from Boots before walking up to Queen Street. My return advance was from Croy to York (bet they don’t sell many of those), and to break up the slog over to Edinburgh I boarded 156467 to final winner shack of the day, Croy. I always think of the Scottish 156’s as being in the 500+ series, so it was ironic that my 8 winners were all in the 400 series. My phone was down to 2% at this point, probably partly down to the frantic refreshing of RTT earlier when I thought I was about to get stranded at Dunlop. Bailing at Croy was a nice little move, as there was no risk of missing my connection as it was stuck behind. Just three minutes later 170401 appeared from the darkness, complete with lovely working plug sockets to get some much needed power into my phone.

I wasn’t quite done yet, as I would be arriving into Edinburgh 70 minutes before my train back to York. Interestingly this is the itinerary Virgin gave me, but the ticket was presumably valid on any Croy to Edinburgh service as the only service printed on the ticket under ‘only valid on the follwing’ was the 2100 to York. I prefer to be on the safe side with connections, especially onto the final train of the day, so I stuck to the itinerary. There was time for a Haymarket leap though, and I left 170401 there in favour of double winners 158712 and 158871.

Those were the 36th and 37th winners of the day, not a bad haul at all though it was to be expected with so many requirements in the area. I still had an hour to kill so I visited Brewdog Edinburgh. I never knew how hilly this part of Edinburgh was, after walking up what must have been over 100 steps I reached the bar on Cowgate and had a balf of Gun Blitz. It was a sour beer with a sensible 3.5% ABV. Rather nice too. The bar was pretty busy, so I opted against another half and made my way back to the station. There was just enough time for a quick shot of 92010 stabled in position to haul the evening’s sleeper, before grabbing a Costa and boarding my HST which was headed up by 43316. This had recently been paired up with one of my last three VTEC power cars, but I wouldn’t find out for three hours whether or not that was still the case!

Annoyingly we reversed out of Newcastle over the high level bridge, meaning the mystery power car was now at the front. I was in coach F so after Northallerton I made my way down to to coach B, noting that coach D was completely empty and there were probably less than ten people in standard. I spent the last few miles by the vestibule window as I always do on this service, waking myself up for the walk back to the car.

Unfortunately, the icing on my cake was not to be, as it was dud 43319 up front. Still an excellent day out all round, and I'm already looking at when I can go back up to crack on with more of the Strathclyde shacks.

Day summary:

91130 YRK-EDB
170428 EDB-GQS
334005 & 334039 GQS-HST
& 334009 HST-CHC
CHC-PTK
& 318253 PTK-HYN
HYN-ANL
ANL-BHC
& 318264 BHC-DBC
, 156465 & 156496 DBC-HLU
& 334028 HLC-DLR
& 320304 DLR-WES
& 334021 WES-MLN
334021 & 334003 MLN-WES
318250 WES-PTK
320412 & 318255 PTK-GLC
156432 GLC-DNL
DNL-BRR
BRR-CMY
156434 & 156492 CMY-GFN
156492 & 156434 GFN-GLC
314202 & 314204 GLC-COI
COI-PLE
PLE-QPK
QPK-GLC
156467 GLQ-CRO
CRO-HYM
158712 & 158871 HYM-EDB
43316 & 43319 EDB-YRK

20 new stations: Anniesland, Balloch, Barrhead, Charing Cross, Crosshill, Crossmyloof, Croy, Dalreoch, Dumbarton Central, Dunlop, Giffnock, Helensburgh Central, Helensburgh Upper, High Street, Hyndland, Milngavie, Partick, Pollokshields East, Queens Park & Westerton
37 new units: 8x 156, 2x 158, 2x 170, 5x 314, 5x 318, 6x 320, 9x 334
8 dud units/locos: 2x HST, 1x 91, 3x 156, 2x 334

Day mileage: 612 miles

Last edited:

Kite159

Veteran Member
It be the West Highlands Line at Helensburgh ;) (Far North is Inverness - Wick). Agreed with the hill, it was awful trying to do it in the snow with ice on the ground.

Anyhow, sounded like a very productive day in SPT land, lots of coverage for your book, lots of winners & stations

alexf380

Established Member
Very nice work indeed, even considering the amount you require up here.

And before you ask, not all of Edinburgh is that steep, you just got a bit unlucky with the rite you took.

ash39

Established Member
It be the West Highlands Line at Helensburgh ;) (Far North is Inverness - Wick). Agreed with the hill, it was awful trying to do it in the snow with ice on the ground.

Anyhow, sounded like a very productive day in SPT land, lots of coverage for your book, lots of winners & stations

Oops of course, showing my lack of knowledge of the area there! All the more reason to get back up there.

Very nice work indeed, even considering the amount you require up here.

And before you ask, not all of Edinburgh is that steep, you just got a bit unlucky with the rite you took.

Yeah before this trip I've only really walked up and down Princess Street... got a bit of a shock when I turned left out of Waverley and saw the massive steps!

Established Member
Some great reads there, I especially enjoyed the Derbyshire Wayfarer (yes, I'm that far behind) and the Scottish move.
I'm another member of the 142 fan club (except the ex-Merseyrail ones, due to the horrible seats).
Also, 314s, nice :).

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Much agreed with the above. Some good trips there, enjoyed reading about Scotland.

ash39

Established Member
Impromptu London trip – Saturday 14th October 2017

I was offered, at short notice, the chance of a spare hotel room and pair of advance tickets to London. I’m not the kind of person to look a gift horse in the mouth so I gratefully accepted! I picked my mate up and drove to the multi storey at Wakefield Westgate, before mega dud 43300 and 43312 rolled in with the old EMT set EC64. Both of us had way over 300 miles on these power cars, my mate had the same pair on a service from York to Inverness previously, and they would now be his highest mileage locos by some margin. Frustratingly my camera wasn't switching on, so I'd have to make do with phone photos for this trip, lugging the heavy camera bag around for no good reason! It looks like I'd left it switched on and it had ran its battery out, which has never happened before as it usually goes into power saving mode.

We were on the 1858 service, so it was too dark to see much on the way down. We were in an almost empty coach B near the guards office. Not having to drive until the next day was a rare treat so I’d brought along a couple of beers for the journey and a Morrisons salad tray. I’d been out with the family earlier in the day and done a fair bit of walking so I was starving, it didn’t last long past Doncaster. The only other person in our vicinity was a southern based Leeds United fan heading back to London, somewhat subdued after a 0-1 defeat to Reading.

We were stating near Hanger Lane tube station, so made our way via the Victoria line, changing at Oxford Circus for the Central line. We then realised we'd boarded an Ealing Broadway service which turned off before Hanger Lane so had to bail at North Acton for another train just behind us. The entire journey from Kings Cross took under 45 minutes which wasn’t bad going at all. It was unseasonably warm for the time of year, around 20 degrees with a mild breeze. I was glad to get to the room and whack the air con onto full!

Day summary:

43300 & 43312 WKF-KGX

Day mileage: 175 miles

Sunday 15th October 2017

We got up in time for the first Underground service from Hanger Lane at 0655. We expected this to be quiet but it was quite the opposite, with around 20 people waiting at the station to join an already well loaded train. We made our way to Waterloo, changing onto the Jubilee line at Bond Street. We made good progress on the Underground again, arriving 10 minutes before our intended first train of the day. This was ideal as it gave us time to grab breakfast from Costa. We made our way through the (open) ticket barriers, onto first winners of the trip 455852 and 455914. My cortado and almond croissant did the job of waking me up on the ride out to Raynes Park. We had just enough time here to make it over the footbridge, which joins the two staggered platforms, to meet another pair coming the other way, 455857 and 455730.

455857 Raynes Park 15/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We took these to Wimbledon, where we met a trio of 450’s, 450103, 450082 and 450092. Pretty bad luck to get a dud when I was in single figures for 450’s, but that’s the way it goes sometimes! Small consolation was 450082 becoming my first of the class to clear 10 miles. We took them to Surbiton, a winner shack for my mate, where we caught 455854 and 455861 to New Malden, followed by 455713 and 455913 to Berrylands.

From here we took 455718 and 455901 back to Raynes Park, in order to switch lines as we’d now cleared Wimbledon to Surbiton. We took 455862 to Motspur Park to meet 455720 coming back. We were now fairly bored of 455’s, but at least we’d both boosted our numbers significantly (prior to this day I could count mine on one hand!). We bailed at Wimbledon, again, and finally got away from SWR as we took 700021 to Sutton.

700021 Wimbledon 15/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

The plan to get away from 455’s backfired as we then had to take Southern’s 455824 to Norwood Junction. Our next intended service was a 12 coach service, which is always welcome to boost the numbers. Our train was made up of 377147, 377131 and 377430, which we took for a short hop to East Croydon.

377147 Norwood Junction 15/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We then made our way back towards Kings Cross, but rather than take the same unit all the way, we broke up the journey by firstly taking 700105 non-stop to Blackfriars, followed by 700044 to Farringdon, featuring an operational stop at closed station City Thameslink to switch from DC to AC power. Finally, dud for both of us 700003 did the last leg to St Pancras.

We decided to use our last couple of hours ticking off ECML shacks and Great Northern units, starting with 387109 and 387125 to Finsbury Park, where we waited for 313047 and 313060 to follow us out of Kings Cross and take us to Bowes Park, which was a tiny bit of new track for me. It was interesting to see round the back of Bounds Green depot. We had a theoretical +2 here which would have been comfortable with the island platform, but the return working from Stevenage was gradually losing more and more time so we ended up spending 10 minutes there.

313060 Bowes Park 15/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

Eventually solo 313056 limped in at a snails pace. We wondered if we’d even make it round the curve back to rejoin the ECML, but despite the delay the unit seemed to be in reasonable health, other than the huge white patches on the bodyside where graffiti had been removed. They are probably one of the most unloved and careworn fleets anywhere in the country which I think gives them a certain charm. We bailed at Alexandra Palace for another winner station.

313049 Alexandra Palace 15/10/2017
by Flash 3939, on Flickr

We then stayed put on the same platform for 313049 to take us to Hornsey. As we had both previously visited Harringay, that meant we’d both cleared Kings Cross to Ally Pally (and Bowes Park). From here, our last 313 of the day 313032 took us back to Finsbury Park, where we waited for the following service for one last move, this being formed of 365515 and 365504.

We got some lunch from Boots before waiting by our train home, the 1403 to Leeds, which was hauled by 91119. It was annoyingly busy, and only really emptied out at Doncaster where we decided to spread out onto our own table for the last 15 minutes of the journey. With 30 winners and 10 stations scored in just over 7 hours, it was definitely a worthwhile trip!

Day summary:

455852 & 455914 WAT-RAY
& 455730 RAY-WIM
, 450082 & 450092 WIM-SUR
455854 & 455861 SUR-NEM
& 455913 NEM-BRS
& 455901 BRS-RAY
455862 RAY-MOT
MOT-WIM
700021 WIM-SUO
SUO-NWD
, 377131 & 377430 NWD-ECR
700105 ECR-BFR
700044 BFR-ZFD
700003 ZFD-STP
387109 & 387125 KGX-FPK
313047 & 313060 FPK-BOP
BOP-AAP
AAP-HRN
HRN-FPK
365515 & 365504 FPK-KGX
91119 KGX-WKF

10 new stations: Alexandra Palace, Berrylands, Bowes Park, Hornsey, Motspur Park, New Malden, Norwood Junction, Raynes Park, Sutton & Wimbledon
30 new units: 5x 313, 2x 365, 3x 377, 2x 387, 2x 450, 13x 455, 3x 700
3 dud units/locos: 1x 91, 1x 450, 1x 700

Day mileage: 237 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.