Assessment day in a week.

Discussion in 'Railway Jobs & Careers' started by TDC010, 20 Feb 2019.

1. Turner22

Turner22 Member

It's the pressure.

2. Driver2B

Driver2B Member

A few of the questions I asked:
    * From your experience, what would drivers say they like most about the job and what parts of the work do they find most challenging?
    * How would you describe the work culture at this TOC?
    * What is the proposed start date for this role?
    * How long will training period be (varies between TOCs and depots)?
    * Given the introduction of the new trains, would new drivers be trained in old traction which will be withdrawn soon?

The good thing about asking opinion questions is don't doesn't hint at lack of research, and you're not likely to be told the answer before you ask!

:)

3. Mahe

Mahe New Member

Hello all,
    I got my MMI coming soon and preparing for it. I have a fair knowledge of questions they ask. Just nervous that everyone is saying they tend to grill you on MMI. And ask same question over and over again,How did you feel ? Kind of question.
    Any advice on this and preparation tips are highly appreciated.
    Thank you.

4. AshDee

AshDee Member

Hi I’m new on this forum and have my assessment next Friday on the GB test do you have to do it left to right or can you do left to right and work back right to left on next line and so on?

5. LCC106

LCC106 Member

Left to right. If time runs out whilst you’re doing a right to left line you’ll likely have some errors and fail as it’s marked left to right. Accuracy is as important as speed.

6. AshDee

AshDee Member

Thank you

7. AshDee

AshDee Member

Thank you for this information , very helpful

8. AshDee

AshDee Member

Has anyone used the dvd available from amazon on how to become a train driver?
    The tests seem very difficult are the actual tests just as difficult.
    I found the picture memory test impossible
    Also the joystick test as some of the patterns are curved and you are using only up down left right

9. martin2345uk

martin2345uk Established Member

Yes the joystick pattern does have curves in it.

10. Driver2B

Driver2B Member

I didn't use the DVD you mention.

Regarding the ATAVT Perception Test, I have previously written the following elsewhere:

It is hard, probably even impossible, to get all the answers correct. When I did it, my counterparts and I found that we were doing lots of guesswork or subconcious decision-making. We were very unsure of the answers we gave.

Obviously there is a magic "pass mark" number somewhere which nobody in the public forum knows, but this is obviously about being "good enough" rather than perfect. I would suggest that observant people would probably do well at this test with little practise. Other people who are perhaps not very observant, might never be able to pass (I can think of some people in life I know like this!).

If you have a friend or family member who can download some pictures from a search engine and then show you these for a very short time, this could help you practise. However, I would suggest that most people don't practise too much for this test and pass. Don't overworry!

Regarding the 2Hand Co-Ordination Test, I have previously written the following elsewhere:

Just to say, we all thought that we had done really badly at this, and we all found that our balls left the track. We were told afterwards that this is normal and as long as we got them back on the track relatively quickly, we would have passed. We all did pass.

I've not heard of any/many people fail this test, so unless you have really slow reactions, I wouldn't worry too much!

You're obviously trying really hard to prepare for these tests, but I would recommend worrying less! Unlike the Group Bourdon, where accuracy is expected to be close to 100%, these tests require less accuracy. They are also tests which I've not heard of many people failing.

Best wishes for your assessments!

11. Twotwo

Twotwo Member

The computer tests are easier then the paper tests tbh. The paper tests filters out majority of people. There was 6 of us during the stage 2 and only one failed.

12. Peeler

Peeler Member

Hi TC, were you there on the 28th? How did you get on?