• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Assessments & Medicals discussion

puffpuffgive

Hi everyone,
Does the OPC use the letter version of the group bourdon test or the dots version? The practice paper has the letters version but everyone seems to talk about the dots.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Applepie356

Hi all,

Just messaging for some advice please;

I’ve been offered a trainee driver role and am awaiting a date for a medical. I take sertraline to control mild anxiety and I’m slightly concerned this will lead to a withdrawal of my offer?

My symptoms are well controlled, with no input, nor have they ever affected my ability at work or led to time off.

I’m curious has anyone experienced anything similar and what were the outcomes? Also if there are any drivers out there who also take sertraline, I’d be curious to hear from them.

Thanks!

Applied for Shunter Driver (Same medical standard as driver I believe) on 50mg Sertraline and it was ok’d at the medical. They will ask a few questions but that’s about it.

It’s viewed on a case by case basis so bear that in mind.

Last edited by a moderator:

ZackCulross

I'm interested in the answers to this also

I've applied for trainee driver role and grade 7/9 signaller.

I also take sertaline to help with anxiety due to unfortunate family problems, never affected my job etc, but curious if it would affect safety critical roles

Skint429

Hi all, is it possible for a train driver to have ADHD? Does anyone know of a person who works as such with the condition?

Hi all, is it possible for a train driver to have ADHD? Does anyone know of a person who works as such with the condition?
Would also caveat this by mentioning I passed the assessment day at an enhanced level so that suggests it isn’t affecting me too much? Or is that wishful thinking?

Last edited:

Jack1789

Evening all.

I'm currently in the process of applying for a manager role at TfW - looks like I've got through to the operational interview, according to the job application portal. No email as yet, though.

I've scoured the forum but of course most of the discussion is around train driver and signaller jobs.

Can anyone give an insight into what an operational interview might look like? I'm assuming competency-based questions ("when have you done X... give us an example of when you did Y" etc).

Any info appreciated, and apologies if this is the wrong thread to ask this!

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
I would expect questions around managing resources (people, money, assets); past/present experience in delivering (a service); fleet maintenance/planning (around maintenance cycles etc.); meeting budgets/performance targets; ability to plan/deliver when things go wrong etc.

Lou87

Hi,

Just done the TCT test. I just thought to myself does the train icon move from where the train is departing from or does it just shift from right to left in the direction it is traveling?

prayingsally

Hi All! I would be grateful for any info anyone has about the medical part of the application process? My bmi is high but I have no weight related medical problems and I also have well controlled asthma (I have an inhaler for this but very rarely use/need it) will this go against me? Does the doctor at the medical just request any relevant info from your GP about the asthma etc? Just don’t want to get my hopes up about this dream job if I will fall at the final hurdle so to speak. Also is there a minimum distance you need to see without wearing glasses? Please help guys I have tried to research but conflicting info online

ThomasBeckett

Hi everyone.

I have a medical for a Trainee Train Conductor role coming up, and I was wondering what to expect in terms of sleep apnea? Having read a few posts on this forum, most seem to suggest to just be honest. (For reference, my sleep apnea is mild and doesn't cause me any noticeable tiredness).

I have had a medical with a separate TOC recently - but they were happy with my apnea records, providing this is reviewed by the company annually to check I'm ok. But I'm aware that different TOC's have different standards.

Any advice (mainly to stop me worrying) would be hugely appreciated.

Many thanks.

Croydon1991

Hi all. I have a DMI coming up with Southeastern for Tonbridge depot. Does anyone know the situation for parking near by? Every road seems to be permit only. TIA

Normally it will be a drugs and alcohol test, eyesight (inc. colour blindness), hearing, blood pressure, some basic (very basic) physical exercise, BMI and a general health and medication check. It’s part of a safety-critical medical. Always disclose anything you think might be an issue as it’s best to get it out of the way at this stage rather than become a problem once you’re in the role.
I have a medical soon for a non safety critical position with Northern. I was wondering how stringent it was for that level?

rogercoinop

Hello, I sat my assessment for Southeastern recently, I sailed through the paper tests (apparently) apart from the first TEa-OCC, a classic stumble on the double symbols, I didn’t realise all of the listed professions were the same, I realised for the second part with tones but at that point knew I’d messed up. Frustrating.
Anyway I need to wait the obligatory 6 months but didn’t realise that I have to apply from scratch again. I wonder if they will have any record of my previous application when they come to filter the huge amount of applicants? It would be a shame to miss the initial sift and miss the second shot at getting shortlisted for poss DMI. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1867Blue

I can’t speak for Southeastern specifically, but when I sat mine with my FOC, there was a lad that had just failed one part of it and had to resit them all, he then passed the bit that he failed, but unfortunately failed another.

Fives

Hi all,

Applied with Chiltern and took my VSE last week and have been asked today to complete a SJT and interview questions. They also said that if I'm successful, I will be asked to complete a VSE, which I've already done. Am I to take this as I've passed the VSE and am moving to the next phase, or could this be an error? Many thanks in advance.

Samzino

Hi all,

Applied with Chiltern and took my VSE last week and have been asked today to complete a SJT and interview questions. They also said that if I'm successful, I will be asked to complete a VSE, which I've already done. Am I to take this as I've passed the VSE and am moving to the next phase, or could this be an error? Many thanks in advance.
You would be best Advised to email them your concern as they can directly tell you if there is something a miss.

vargas1995

Good evening everyone!

I have passed my tests and MMi on the same day (18/03/24) what a relief!

My closest depots are Victoria/Charingx, these are 20mins away from my home address. I would appreciate any information if anyone knows roughly how long is the waiting times until i get called in for a DMI? also any tips on how to handle the DMi on the day.

kind regards to all!
Daniel

kourblimey

Hi all!

I’ve recently passed my assessments and MMI for Southeastern (15/03/24) and was wondering what the typical wait time is to be contacted for the DMI?
What are the varying factors that decide the waiting time and how long after the DMI would the medical be booked in for?

Any help would be much appreciated!

DanNCL

Established Member
Hi all,
I’m considering applying for a trainee conductor vacancy at Northern but before I do so I have a few questions about the medical.
Firstly, what’s the weight rule and how strictly enforced is it? I won’t disclose my weight but I am quite a bit overweight, though I do fit in a single passenger seat with the armrest down.

Also is having a codeine prescription going to be an issue? It’s only to take as required (takes me around 12 months to go through the pack) and I’m aware that it can’t be taken before or during a shift.
I’ve also got inhalers for Asthma that’s well managed and I’m on anti depressants. Having had a quick look through this thread I gather that neither of these are likely to be an issue?

Having previously ruled out a railway career I’ve recently had a rethink and am considering applying, but I don’t want to waste anyones time if I’m not going to pass a medical.

Thanks in advance.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Hi all,
I’m considering applying for a trainee conductor vacancy at Northern but before I do so I have a few questions about the medical.
Firstly, what’s the weight rule and how strictly enforced is it? I won’t disclose my weight but I am quite a bit overweight, though I do fit in a single passenger seat with the armrest down.

Also is having a codeine prescription going to be an issue? It’s only to take as required (takes me around 12 months to go through the pack) and I’m aware that it can’t be taken before or during a shift.
I’ve also got inhalers for Asthma that’s well managed and I’m on anti depressants. Having had a quick look through this thread I gather that neither of these are likely to be an issue?

Having previously ruled out a railway career I’ve recently had a rethink and am considering applying, but I don’t want to waste anyones time if I’m not going to pass a medical.

Thanks in advance.

I think it is based on BMI. Being a bit overweight is not going to be a considerable issue at all.

Inhalers shouldn't be an issue and neither should the anti-depressants but place it all down on your screening questionnaire form and the medical practioner will talk it through with you.

DanNCL

Established Member
I think it is based on BMI. Being a bit overweight is not going to be a considerable issue at all.
That’s reassuring to know, thanks. I cant remember my BMI other than it’s high but I am actively losing weight so that’ll be going down.

Inhalers shouldn't be an issue and neither should the anti-depressants but place it all down on your screening questionnaire form and the medical practioner will talk it through with you.
That’s what I intend to do. Just wanted to be sure that I wouldn’t be wasting anyones time by applying. Thanks for reassuring me.

Good morning all,

Apologies if this has been asked before. Can anyone recommend good practice material for the the stage 2 computer tests? I have received practise material from the OPC but would like to hear if anyone benefited from other practise material? Just to clarify the tests are:

WAFV test
ATAVT perception test
2 Hand coordination test.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Good morning all,

Apologies if this has been asked before. Can anyone recommend good practice material for the the stage 2 computer tests? I have received practise material from the OPC but would like to hear if anyone benefited from other practise material? Just to clarify the tests are:

WAFV test
ATAVT perception test

The booked practice material should be fine. Otherwise things like generic "brain training" applications/games can't hurt.

TacoTraveller

Good morning all,

WAFV test
ATAVT perception test
When I did mine, I found the practice material all I needed, it's a very identical methodology to the tests but not the actual tests.

The only non practice material I used was for the 2 hand test which I played Xbox racing/flying games that involved co-ordinating controllers for movement. Similarly flying a drone I find a very similar experience for 2 handed co-ordination.

I've reached the point in the process in which the next step is the medical. The TOC is still putting candidates through OPC Stage 2 so I'm probably a few weeks off hearing anything. However, at the start of this week I had an operation on my ear, which I'd waited over two years for. If my medical is booked before my ear fully recovers is there any flexibilty should my hearing not meet the grade?
FWIW I do think my hearing would pass once recovered.

Lanypauk

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has advice on how they passed the perception test (computerised ones)? This is the one test I failed and I’m due to resit the computerised tests again soon. I have a practice disc but I’m still missing some stuff..

LokiB

The tip I can give is only put on what you definitely see. Don't guess and click a random one as that will lose you more points than if you miss one.

Horseman

The tip I can give is only put on what you definitely see. Don't guess and click a random one as that will lose you more points than if you miss one.
I don't know, myself and several others I know certainly found this test the most challenging yet we all passed by second guessing ourselves to an extent. It is fast and the photos shown are considerably more crowded than practice material I'd seen.

Personally I'd say do what feels right for you.

Lanypauk

I don't know, myself and several others I know certainly found this test the most challenging yet we all passed by second guessing ourselves to an extent. It is fast and the photos shown are considerably more crowded than practice material I'd seen.

Personally I'd say do what feels right for you.
You see I think the reason I failed was selecting options ‘just incase’ but I don’t know that for definite. My results on practice ones are very inconsistent so I’ll just have to hope for the best

Yeh I think I might’ve failed the last time by selecting answers ‘just incase’ but don’t know for definite. I know I selected ones without being certain I actually saw them.