• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ATW Trainee Conductors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

387star

On Moderation
Interesting these guard vacancies frequently come off the back of driver recruitment

Lightning

Interesting these guard vacancies frequently come off the back of driver recruitment

I understand ATW have a policy of recruiting from within, where they can. Good for employee moral. So, enevitably, it will end up with openings becoming available after trainee train driver recruitment.
On one hand, good for moral, on the other, it means they have to pay to train more people.

craigybagel

Established Member
Guards have been taken on recently with fairly large commutes so I don't believe there is a firm rule at the moment; however the earliest shifts at both depots really are early, more so than is the norm for most guards depots, so you would have to ask yourself if you really want a long commute on top of that?

kelv

Doesn't say for this post but within an hour was quoted for the trainee train driver positions.

Guards have been taken on recently with fairly large commutes so I don't believe there is a firm rule at the moment; however the earliest shifts at both depots really are early, more so than is the norm for most guards depots, so you would have to ask yourself if you really want a long commute on top of that?

Cheers, the time comes in at 46 mins & 47 mins to the depots, so I was dreading it being 45 mins max.

NX

0200! That's a night turn lol

Crewe must be the most attractive ATW depot surely ? Routes and traction wise, all the Manchester work isn't it, Birmingham International plus diversions, Cardiff and the HOW half way ?

Sounds lush, shame Im nearly 100 miles away!

NX

Bellbell

Crewe must be the most attractive ATW depot surely ? Routes and traction wise, all the Manchester work isn't it, Birmingham International plus diversions, Cardiff and the HOW half way ?

NX

I believe there's a couple of drivers who commute from chester to crewe, and a couple who do the reverse. Don't know what that says :lol: or if it's true but it's what I've heard.

craigybagel

Established Member
I believe there's a couple of drivers who commute from chester to crewe, and a couple who do the reverse. Don't know what that says :lol: or if it's true but it's what I've heard.

Yes to the former, and there have been some of the latter as well in the past but I believe they've all transferred to Crewe now. Driver vacancies are much more common at Chester than Crewe.

NX

Well its an 02:53 book on but if you were doing a long commute you'd be driving at 2! I wish it was a couple of hours earlier so you could treat it as a night turn, I find them a lot easier to cope with than the early earlies. Chester have a book on not long after 3am as well I believe.

Add in chester both ways and youre spot on with the route card. Not sure about desirability, suppose it depends what you're looking for. Chester's route card is big as well and there's more variety (about 90% of Crewe jobs don't leave the Manchester-cardiff route - Chester mix up their days a lot more). Some people like the comfort of being at a smaller depot and familiar routes, others like getting more variety. Chester also in general do better for commission but have to work much more troublesome routes to earn it.

From what I've heard Llandudno Junction is the hard one to get into - last person to transfer in there was waiting for years! But then there is only 16 guards there I believe.

railgirl

Does anybody know what tests ATW use for the conductor assessment and what form the interview takes?

Thanks.

craigybagel

Established Member
The format has changed recently. The first interview is by telephone, and most of the testing is done online. If you pass both of them there's a final interview in person.

kelv

How long do people think is a good personal statement?

Regards

Just done 1 myself, I just tried to cover the points they want to hear without babbling on too much.
It was about an A4 sheet that I wrote out before typing it in & I think I managed to cover everything that was relevant.

Hard to say what it is they want to see in it though really, could look at 1 where the applicant has simply put "Because I am Ace" and think this guys got something about him... although I doubt it, similarly if its the size of a paperback novel they'd be put off a bit.

tomtom

Just done 1 myself, I just tried to cover the points they want to hear without babbling on too much.
It was about an A4 sheet that I wrote out before typing it in & I think I managed to cover everything that was relevant.

Hard to say what it is they want to see in it though really, could look at 1 where the applicant has simply put "Because I am Ace" and think this guys got something about him... although I doubt it, similarly if its the size of a paperback novel they'd be put off a bit.

Thanks for replying, mine just happens to be a full a4 sheet with a few examples from my previous and present jobs that demonstrate my skills and experience. I could do more but I also think it would be viewed as babbling on and likely to switch the reader off.

Regards

kelv

Thanks for replying, mine just happens to be a full a4 sheet with a few examples from my previous and present jobs that demonstrate my skills and experience. I could do more but I also think it would be viewed as babbling on and likely to switch the reader off.

Regards

Cant help wondering about the 'Welsh Speaking' aspect of the job a bit as well, although it'll only be pronunciation of Station/Place names it isnt exactly something us English do that well, and nothing winds a Welshman up more than hearing us say it wrong.

craigybagel

Established Member
No idea what type of test it is I'm afraid.

I wouldn't worry about the Welsh bit,there isn't a single Welsh speaker at one of the two depots, and very few if any at the other! They ask that question for every job at Atw I believe. We're taught the pronunciations as part of our route learning.

tomtom

Do you think they are likely to shortlist quite a few? I only ask because Psychometric testing can get rid of maybe half of people who do the tests?

kelv

if they're online then they can get as many as they feel like to sit them really & pick off the highest scorers in the tests.

tomtom

Does anyone know if the timetable they listed on the advert will be adhered to? If they do, we would expect to know whether we have been shortlisted by week end?

Last edited:

kelv

Does anyone know if the timetable they listed on the advert will be adhered to? If they do, we would expect to know whether we have been shortlisted by week end?

It was start of next week I think wasn't it ? Didnt it have March 16th as 'informing applicants.'

Does anyone know the timescales during training ? it says some of the time is spent down in Cardiff, anyone know how long as it says the training is 26 weeks.

tomtom

It's 3 months in total for the training in total (maybe 6 weeks in Cardiff), 4 months (after shadowing) until you are a fully fledged conductor out on your own! My close friend did it last year.

I just hope we know soon, on the off chance I get somewhere as I am putting stuff on hold now waiting.

craigybagel

Established Member
1 induction week in Cardiff, followed by 8 full training weeks. Training is Monday to Friday. All of this is in Cardiff as well with the exception of three days around the half way point where you go back to your own depot and shadow a conductor instructor. Whilst in Cardiff you're put up in a hotel monday-friday.

After you've done all that you go back to your home depot for your rules exam, then you start route learning and also get trained on any traction you might not have already learned in Cardiff (usually 175 as it's hard to get time in one down there, they aren't often in canton - Shrewsbury and Holyhead guards get sent back to Cardiff for a day at a later point for training on MKIIIs) which with a route card as large as Crewe and Chester's will take several months. Then there's 2 weeks on the job being mentored by a conductor instructor, then you're all set to go.

This usually takes less than 26 weeks, even with the largest route cards at ATW, but 26 weeks is the point at which your salary goes up to the full rate.

FWIW, I started the first week of July, and worked my first train in mid November. I was the last on my course to work a train though,the Cardiff Valley guards (who only need just over 2 weeks of route learning) were working trains long before me.

Occasionally, if a depot is particularly short staffed, you may sign just a few core routes then start working them, coming back to sign the less important routes as time and staff availability permits.

Last edited:

red2005

How long do people think is a good personal statement?

Regards

how long is a piece of string!?

it isn't about how long the statement is mate it's about it's content and it's relevance!..........my personal statement for my driving job wasn't particularly long but from what i have heard since ( and without blowing my own trumpet) i got the job over people who had done page after page!

there's no point in having 10 pages of waffle when half a page of relevant/important information answers the question they are asking.

tomtom

how long is a piece of string!?

it isn't about how long the statement is mate it's about it's content and it's relevance!..........my personal statement for my driving job wasn't particularly long but from what i have heard since ( and without blowing my own trumpet) i got the job over people who had done page after page!

there's no point in having 10 pages of waffle when half a page of relevant/important information answers the question they are asking.

I agree.

Mine was a page and a quarter and covered all aspects of the job role with a few examples to demonstrate my skills and experience. There must realistically be a range since one paragraph isn't going to do it!

red2005

I agree.

Mine was a page and a quarter and covered all aspects of the job role with a few examples to demonstrate my skills and experience. There must realistically be a range since one paragraph isn't going to do it!

well no! unless you type "gimme a job and i'l pay you a million quid " that probably won't be enough.......but on the same token everyone has different experiences and answers to give which will either take up space or not be enough depending on what the experience is i suppose.

as i say get the right information in there and you won't have a problem! less is more in certain situations :)

Status
Not open for further replies.