• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Autumn refresh for GWR Class 165/166 Turbos

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DelW

Established Member
All the 159/1s are in Stagecoach colours along with half (?) of the 158s. The franchise changed hands in the process of getting refurbished & upgraded for 2020 mods.
Warren T Manager commented on another thread that the 159s were last painted 2015 - 2019 and they have an 8 year paint warranty. So yes, they will be in SWT colours for longer than the remaining blue Turbos that were commented on above.

FGW_DID

Established Member
Ah right, is this something that all units will have eventually? Or just 212
It won’t just be 212 but others may not go to Doncaster. At Reading when we do C4 work on the Turbos it’s usually a component change like an engine or transmission. Presumably the work on 212 must be more involved than that and requires a higher level of maintenance facility, as SPM is quite capable of the type of component change I’ve mentioned.
I’m not an engineer and as it’s not my part of the empire, I can’t really shine any more light on it!

50002Superb

Wolverton swap paths scheduled in for the 19th, presumably 201 coming back as I don't think 203 has been there long enough yet.
Looks like this one is on the move, is it confirmed to be 201?

FGW_DID

Established Member
Looks like this one is on the move, is it confirmed to be 201?

Yes, Brian* is back!

*166201 is known to many as Brian.

JN114

Established Member
The question, therefore, is why? I'm not familiar with 166201's nickname of Brian, but I am very curious.

There are 2 back stories; depending on whom you ask.

1) it’s named after a driver, who happened to be driving it when the former guard that named it worked it as their first train they ever worked; and somehow the name stuck.

2) a reference to the character by the same name from the children’s TV show “Magic Roundabout”

Either way it’s just a bit of an in-joke that’s been somewhat over-inflated by social media.

FGW_DID

Established Member
There are 2 back stories; depending on whom you ask.

1) it’s named after a driver, who happened to be driving it when the former guard that named it worked it as their first train they ever worked; and somehow the name stuck.

2) a reference to the character by the same name from the children’s TV show “Magic Roundabout”

Either way it’s just a bit of an in-joke that’s been somewhat over-inflated by social media.
#1 is the version I've heard the most and indeed the former guard still maintains that story! ;):lol:

fgwrich

Established Member
See, despite the guard / driver backstory, I’ve always considered it to be more of the latter, as every time I’ve worked it or travelled on it in the past, it’s been (unmentionably) slow* :lol:

*I mean, I was never expecting much acceleration from a 166 in the first place but until Brian moved to Bristol, it was the slowest in the Reading fleet.

Beemax

See, despite the guard / driver backstory, I’ve always considered it to be more of the latter, as every time I’ve worked it or travelled on it in the past, it’s been (unmentionably) slow* :lol:

*I mean, I was never expecting much acceleration from a 166 in the first place but until Brian moved to Bristol, it was the slowest in the Reading fleet.
For younger readers (or very old readers) , the childrens' character Brian was a snail.

On Moderation
For younger readers (or very old readers) , the childrens' character Brian was a snail.
Said snail from Magic Roundabout is also the reason why Class 31s are known as “Brians”.

Snow1964

Established Member
Brian was a hyperactive and very fast snail on a children's TV show called The Magic Roundabout about 50-60 years ago.

Thus everyone doing a Brian the snail always went faster than those around them. Although why that unit should be faster than rest of the fleet is a mystery to me.

Paths are showing on RTT for transfer movements tomorrow (14/11)

5Q81 0904 Wolverton Centre Sidings to St Philips Marsh Depot Fhh

5Q71 1408 St Philips Marsh Depot Fhh to Wolverton Centre Sidings
5Q70 1507 St Philips Marsh Depot Fhh to Wolverton Centre Sidings

If these transfers take place, then I am guessing that 5Q81 will be 166203 and that only one of 5Q71 or 5Q70 will run? If the latter is to be one of the two remaining blue 166s, then currently 166209 is shown to end at St Philips Marsh tonight and 166211 at Exeter, so 166209 would seem to be the most likely candidate?

CR165022

Paths are showing on RTT for transfer movements tomorrow (14/11)

5Q81 0904 Wolverton Centre Sidings to St Philips Marsh Depot Fhh

5Q71 1408 St Philips Marsh Depot Fhh to Wolverton Centre Sidings
5Q70 1507 St Philips Marsh Depot Fhh to Wolverton Centre Sidings

If these transfers take place, then I am guessing that 5Q81 will be 166203 and that only one of 5Q71 or 5Q70 will run? If the latter is to be one of the two remaining blue 166s, then currently 166209 is shown to end at St Philips Marsh tonight and 166211 at Exeter, so 166209 would seem to be the most likely candidate?
Can confirm it's 209 on 5Q71

Snow1964

Established Member
If 166209 is now in works, but 166211 is still in blue then just wondering how long it has taken to repaint them all.

Feels like Green started to be used about 7 years ago, how long was it, I realise some were repainted just before introduction, but do were NSE Jaffa cake units, and they quickly standardised those.

FGW_DID

Established Member
If 166209 is now in works, but 166211 is still in blue then just wondering how long it has taken to repaint them all.

Feels like Green started to be used about 7 years ago, how long was it, I realise some were repainted just before introduction, but do were NSE Jaffa cake units, and they quickly standardised those.

First ones appeared in Green in August 2015. You are correct, the plain blue 166s were repainted just before the decision to go Green. It would probably have been seen as economically wasteful, to take a freshly painted unit out of traffic just to paint it again.
I’m also sure that someone would have been wailing about GWR going short in traffic, if they had decided to send a freshly painted unit Back to works just for a repaint.

northernbelle

First ones appeared in Green in August 2015. You are correct, the plain blue 166s were repainted just before the decision to go Green. It would probably have been seen as economically wasteful, to take a freshly painted unit out of traffic just to paint it again.
I’m also sure that someone would have been wailing about GWR going short in traffic, if they had decided to send a freshly painted unit Back to works just for a repaint.
From the outset of the GWR rebrand it was decided that trains would only be repainted when they technically required painting, rather than just for the sake of rebranding.

At the same time it was decided that the 'GWR' identity wouldn't appear on blue/pink, which is why you still see some stations and trains fully FGW branded in name and colour. There have been some exceptions to this but locally done rather than company policy.

Robin Procter

I have only ever seen the Class165/166 in GWR livery. This one, Class166 208, was running down to Weymouth very recently and the front bodywork looks like it needs a bit of repair. I photographed it while waiting for a yellow Test Train.

I have never travelled in one and am extremely unlikely to as I rarely travel on trains and when I do it's likely to be long distance.

GWR Class166 208_OMD17660 @ by Robin Procter, on Flickr