• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti First class experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lytham Local

How often are they changing the menu? Any ideas how long this might last before they change it again?
Hopefully soon. Travelled 1st last November and December and can only describe the new menu as utter garbage. Even the old British Rail ham butty would be better than this.

Even more disappointed that despite boarding at 10:30, the breakfast option wasn't available but I could have "afternoon tea".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
They told me it should be quarterly. Can’t wait to see what the next vegetarian potato/pasta dish is (not!)
Correct, but throw in the 'Christmas Menu' as well for what it's worth.
Ok they should be Vegetarian or Vegan options but it's hogging (no pun!) the whole menu.

That menu sounds like it was catered more towards people who don’t like eating meat.

How absolutely bland, basic and boring.
I'm sure they are on some sort of First class customer service suicide mission, even the staff (in my experience) are not even bothered these days.
Some of us received sample menus from Avanti as part of a survey (there's a thread somewhere) but when the new menus came out it was not like the options we were given.

Count me out, I like my meat
Same here.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
I'm sure they are on some sort of First class customer service suicide mission, even the staff (in my experience) are not even bothered these days.
Some of us received sample menus from Avanti as part of a survey (there's a thread somewhere) but when the new menus came out it was not like the options we were given
I wonder if subtly killing off proper First Class might be a way to save some money as they wouldn’t have to pay for more catering. If First Class does completely get killed off on Avanti it means that they’ll also have to let a ton of hosts and chefs go, which will be a shame.

It’s a dismal step to take imo.

Falcon1200

Established Member
0940 Glasgow Central-Euston today.
First Class coach J roughly 50% occupied; Antimacassars were Standard Premium until a member of staff changed them after Preston (this on a set that had been in Polmadie Depot all night ?). From Glasgow only one member of catering staff for the entire train, who, to be fair, did an amazing job, opening the Shop in Coach C for a while, then closing it and coming to First Class to provide basic food and drink before returning to the Shop. An additional staff member joined at Carlisle, and from Preston full catering service was provided.

Train was 14 late into Euston but no fault of Avanti's, a trundle along the Slow Line (for no obvious reason) from Ledburn to Bourne End being the main cause, not helped by a Tring every lamppost stopper being turned out right in front of the 400 mile 125mph express train.....

So a rather patchy experience, had I been going only to Carlisle or Preston I would not have been happy with the catering service provided, or indeed the lack of advice of such at Glasgow Central (Greggs is just across the road....). In contrast an Edinburgh-London trip a couple of weeks ago had full and excellent catering throughout, if LNER can do it why can't Avanti ?

Howardh

Established Member
0940 Glasgow Central-Euston today.
First Class coach J roughly 50% occupied; Antimacassars were Standard Premium until a member of staff changed them after Preston (this on a set that had been in Polmadie Depot all night ?). From Glasgow only one member of catering staff for the entire train, who, to be fair, did an amazing job, opening the Shop in Coach C for a while, then closing it and coming to First Class to provide basic food and drink before returning to the Shop. An additional staff member joined at Carlisle, and from Preston full catering service was provided.

Train was 14 late into Euston but no fault of Avanti's, a trundle along the Slow Line (for no obvious reason) from Ledburn to Bourne End being the main cause, not helped by a Tring every lamppost stopper being turned out right in front of the 400 mile 125mph express train.....

So a rather patchy experience, had I been going only to Carlisle or Preston I would not have been happy with the catering service provided, or indeed the lack of advice of such at Glasgow Central (Greggs is just across the road....). In contrast an Edinburgh-London trip a couple of weeks ago had full and excellent catering throughout, if LNER can do it why can't Avanti ?
Can Avanti and other TOC's hand their catering over to, say, Greggs and let them run the concession on the trains, or would there be issues with unions/staff (which I would think highly likely)? Reading the treads r/e Avanti first class and premium, it's clearly not up to standard and puts me off paying the extra. And I very rarely go to their "shop" as I think it's overpriced and the food selection basic. To be fair I did buy a cup of tea and when full, it's too much for me and the bottom third is cold by the time I get there - I suggestred smaller cups/servings (for a reduced price!!).

But if there was a decent food and drinks supplier on-board, serving quality goods at a decent price, surely both they and the TOC would profit?

I'll duck at that point as I may have touched a nerve!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
With regard to tea, the main costs are the cup, tea bag and milk plus staff to serve it. Boiling water costs next to nothing. So you would not get much of a discount for a smaller one.

ash39

Established Member
First class is supposed to be a more pleasant ambience and more spacious than standard class with better seating - it's not supposed to be an all you can eat buffet. There seems to be an attitude of trying to see how many 'freebies' you can secure, or trying to recover the uplift in ticket cost between standard and first in food and drink, and that's not really what it's about.

The food and drink is always listed as 'complimentary', not guaranteed. Complaining about the food you receive in first class is like going to the dentist and complaining that they don't have your favourite magazine in the waiting room.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
First class is supposed to be a more pleasant ambience and more spacious than standard class with better seating - it's not supposed to be an all you can eat buffet. There seems to be an attitude of trying to see how many 'freebies' you can secure, or trying to recover the uplift in ticket cost between standard and first in food and drink, and that's not really what it's about.

The food and drink is always listed as 'complimentary', not guaranteed. Complaining about the food you receive in first class is like going to the dentist and complaining that they don't have your favourite magazine in the waiting room.
Absolutely agree there, spot on post!

stj

Can Avanti and other TOC's hand their catering over to, say, Greggs and let them run the concession on the trains, or would there be issues with unions/staff (which I would think highly likely)? Reading the treads r/e Avanti first class and premium, it's clearly not up to standard and puts me off paying the extra. And I very rarely go to their "shop" as I think it's overpriced and the food selection basic. To be fair I did buy a cup of tea and when full, it's too much for me and the bottom third is cold by the time I get there - I suggestred smaller cups/servings (for a reduced price!!).

But if there was a decent food and drinks supplier on-board, serving quality goods at a decent price, surely both they and the TOC would profit?

I'll duck at that point as I may have touched a nerve!
Been saying that for years just run the trains,let someone who knows what they are doing run the catering unless the plan is to stop onboard catering and buy on the station or bring your own!

Wolfie

Established Member

That may be true in a two class system. It is palpable nonsense when Standard Premium offers all of the environment/seating advantages for significantly less.

If a refund of the cost difference is not forthcoming l for one would litigate.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member

Alright. Book standard premium seats then, no problem. You’re welcome to that view; it’s more of a problem if you attempt to force it on others in a reproachful manner.

se1lad

Standard Premium now gives you the first class seat with no catering. Seeing as the cheapest first class ticket now costs almost twice the cheapest standard premium (in the case of Liverpool to Euston £102 vs £55ish) I think it’s reasonable to expect a decent meal and drinks - otherwise what is the justification in paying extra? In fact you normally get more space in Standard Premium vs First now!

I’m only still travelling in First whilst I still have 50% off vouchers to use (obtained due to catering issues on previous first class journeys.) Once these are used up I will start travelling in Standard Premium and providing my own catering.

se1lad

I had rather a pleasant early evening trip back from Glasgow to Euston this week. Seven (!) drinks rounds, and 2 main courses. The ravioli was rather good, much better than the previous gnocchi, and the charcuterie board was also very tasty.

It’s still not worth the extra over standard premium however, so once I have used up my 50% off vouchers I will start using standard premium and providing my own catering. A meal deal from M&S, some olives and a decent bottle of wine will still give me a £30 saving each way to Liverpool.

bramling

Veteran Member

Whilst I would tend to support the above, it does seem to be the case that the traditional “more civilised journey” aspect of first has all but disappeared.

I can certainly think of some lovely journeys on HSTs and Mk4s, and for me what made the journey was the carriage being very lightly loaded. The “freebies” were nice to have, but I couldn’t claim to be too bothered if they hadn’t materialised.

Nowadays you’re just as likely to have a family from hell in there, so it simply isn’t worth bothering.

Butts

Veteran Member
Had to make an unscheduled trip from Euston to Sandwell & Dudley in 1st Class today after being abandoned by BA at Heathrow.

My first experience of the new set up.

Firstly the 1st Class Lounge at Euston is looking very smart and fairly empty at the time of my visit this morning (11am). Most impressive cappuccino made by a barista from a proper machine served in a proper cup and help yourself to croissants, pastries, various biscuits and uglies - knocked LNER's Kings Cross for six.

Onboard Coach K only, 1st Class is like it used to be on a Voyager with one person attending to a small number of guests. The host was very attentive and the Afternoon Tea - sandwiches and 2 Scones with Cream and Jam was very nice.

More importantly from my perspective she didn't let my glass stay empty for long before bringing virtually unlimited Scotch. I drank four and took two away with me. That alone equated to the difference in fare between Standard and 1st Class !!

Quite impressed :lol:

Vespa

Established Member
Whilst I would tend to support the above, it does seem to be the case that the traditional “more civilised journey” aspect of first has all but disappeared.

I can certainly think of some lovely journeys on HSTs and Mk4s, and for me what made the journey was the carriage being very lightly loaded. The “freebies” were nice to have, but I couldn’t claim to be too bothered if they hadn’t materialised.

Nowadays you’re just as likely to have a family from hell in there, so it simply isn’t worth bothering.
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking ?

Butts

Veteran Member
How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking ?

Was that addressed at me or @bramling - if me £55 Off Peak 1st Class Single (with railcard) booked the same day as travel.

Talking of 1st Class - what has happened to the 1st Class Lounge Guide (op Ascot) it seems to have vanished !!

LowLevel

Established Member
Not 1st class - but I had cause to visit the shop on a 390 and actually I was pleasantly surprised by the meal deal for an on board offer. Cheeseburger of a decent size (cheddar cheese on it, not bad despite being nuked in the microwave), a packet of biscuits and a cup of good bean to cup coffee for £5.50. Compared to some of the crap I've been served off trolleys and buffet cars in the past it was actually pretty good for the price.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Not 1st class - but I had cause to visit the shop on a 390 and actually I was pleasantly surprised by the meal deal for an on board offer. Cheeseburger of a decent size (cheddar cheese on it, not bad despite being nuked in the microwave), a packet of biscuits and a cup of good bean to cup coffee for £5.50. Compared to some of the crap I've been served off trolleys and buffet cars in the past it was actually pretty good for the price.
I do find Avanti’s offering in the shop to always be more substantial than other operators. They seem to keep a decent amount stocked as well, unlike LNER who sold out of ALL food in the first 90 minutes

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Yes it's good that, I've had the cheeseburger option myself and definitely good value considering the captive audience.

williamn

Currently sat on the 05.31 Euston - Glasgow. I bagged a seat frog upgrade for ‘only’ £45. Bizarrely first class was ‘sold out’ (even the open tickets!) online and it seems like all first class tickets have been reserved into coach K whereas coach J is entirely empty.

Blinkbonny

Avanti really have lost the plot on this. I've gone from being a fairly regular First Class customer to not even considering it.

Though perhaps that's what they wanted all along? :s

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I travelled first class from Milton Keynes Central to London Euston the other morning. Despite Avanti publicity stating that complimentary tea / coffee is available for passengers joining at Milton Keynes nothing was offered. All the staff were interested in doing was clearing away the tables from those who had joined further north.

Ranmor

Travelled first class yesterday GLC-EUS. Everyone compressed into one car with reservation system down. Decided it was more pleasant to forego the extras and sit in the standard premium carriage, plenty of space. On the way down, booked my return, got the seat I had reserved too - on BA.

dave87016

Established Member
I’ve been told that coaches J & K are both first class coaches on weekdays and that at weekends only Coach K is first class and Coach J is standard premium

Falcon1200

Established Member
I’ve been told that coaches J & K are both first class coaches on weekdays and that at weekends only Coach K is first class and Coach J is standard premium

That has certainly been the case on my recent weekday journeys, albeit one Monday morning the antimacassars in J were still showing Standard Premium ! (On a set which had spent all night in Polmadie Depot).

Bishopstone

Established Member
I think coach J should be made a 50/50 composite, First/SP, to stop the expensive ritual of the Changing of the Antimacassars, twice a week.

When the Pendolino refurbishments are complete and coach G becomes Standard on the 11-car sets, then 1.5 coaches of SP and 1 coach of First would be about right, judging from my recent Avanti travel and observations.

Merseysider

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Very healthy loadings in First Class on the 1610 Birmingham - Euston (1347 off Blackpool).

Three (well, 2.5) full carriages given over to First (K, J, H) and only G is Standard Premium.

Perhaps they realised cramming everyone into the end half carriage wasn’t good for business :lol:

Vespa

Established Member
Very healthy loadings in First Class on the 1610 Birmingham - Euston (1347 off Blackpool).

Three (well, 2.5) full carriages given over to First (K, J, H) and only G is Standard Premium.

Perhaps they realised cramming everyone into the end half carriage wasn’t good for business :lol:
I'm suprised given how much it costs.

Status
Not open for further replies.