• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti - Trainee Train Drivers - Multiple Locations (28/02/23)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

How did everyone find the M7 SJT? I’m going through the practice material now and trying to complete it in 13 minutes is proving rather difficult

SuperS16v

Seems like Wolverhampton applicants will be the last to hear back. Or has anyone heard anything?

Quite a few Wolves people have been sent the VSE others haven’t heard anything

How did everyone find the M7 SJT? I’m going through the practice material now and trying to complete it in 13 minutes is proving rather difficult

It’s fine, 70 mins for 25 questions. If you’re struggling for time you’re overthinking the answers.

Best way I have found is to pick your first and last responses first then fill in 3 and 4.

DanielWhitt

I didn't think the M7SJT was too bad to be honest, it works out about 3 minutes per question. Which I think was plenty of time, but the SVE was harder than I expected

Also, I've applied for wolves and had the M7SJT and vse offer 4 days after completing the 5 assesments

Last edited:

SuperS16v

What is the pass mark to pass? Like what's the percentage? For both M7 and VSE

No one is going to know the answer to this. It’s marked by a computer and you don’t get given scores. There’s loads of variables on the VSE too.

beeman05

Applied to Polmadie and yesterday got my rejection email from the OPC after initial tests. Obviously gutted but I won't dwell on it too much.

Hopefully someone can clarify - three years ago I applied to Transpenine for trainee driver and went to the in person testing in Leeds and failed. I've not failed this initial OPC test with Avanti. Have I used the two lives up and I cant apply again?

Quite a few Wolves people have been sent the VSE others haven’t heard anything

It’s fine, 70 mins for 25 questions. If you’re struggling for time you’re overthinking the answers.

Best way I have found is to pick your first and last responses first then fill in 3 and 4.
Thank you

JGB3

Applied to Polmadie and yesterday got my rejection email from the OPC after initial tests. Obviously gutted but I won't dwell on it too much.

Hopefully someone can clarify - three years ago I applied to Transpenine for trainee driver and went to the in person testing in Leeds and failed. I've not failed this initial OPC test with Avanti. Have I used the two lives up and I cant apply again?
The initial online 5 question tests do not count against your 2 goes.

MT18

I’m not an expert but I’d imagine you still have your 1 life left as you didn’t undertake an other in person test with a toc.

TK.

Manchester applicant - 28 day email received. Keeping fingers crossed :)

Last edited:

SGriffin

Euston applicant got my email asking me to do the judgement test and visual search yesterday.

Pretty sure I messed up the visual search exercise, tried to do it while I have Covid as wanted to be ahead of the game almost. Should have waited but you never know. Good luck to everyone getting their emails.

ZackCulross

Strange one

I had a job at Edinburgh trams about 7 years ago then left and reapplied a couple years ago and had to turn down the job offer due to family issues.

Reason I ask is because I done similar tests like M7 and VSE and passed them with OPC, do they take these into account ?

TruthSeeker

Another Wolverhampton one here still waiting to hear anything since the 5 initial tests. I did complete mine on the 15th by 10am with the deadline being at 1pm of the same day. So holding out hope that no news is good news

FH.

Euston applicant got my email asking me to do the judgement test and visual search yesterday.

Pretty sure I messed up the visual search exercise, tried to do it while I have Covid as wanted to be ahead of the game almost. Should have waited but you never know. Good luck to everyone getting their emails.

Hello SGriffin,

I really empathize with you. I took my test today after having been ill with flu for the last four days, and my mind was not very sharp. This was reflected mainly on the third part of the Visual Search Exercise (VSE).

On top of that, I made some silly mistakes, such as replying on the right side first thinking I could then reply on the left side too, and similar mistakes.

I’m very disappointed with myself because in normal conditions I would have nailed it. But it’s fine, it’s past.

Regards.

Last edited: