• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast New Stock - Hitachi chosen

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmh

Established Member
It suddenly dawned on me that the 805s will presumably be 5x26m like the other 80x's. That'll be a less flexible fleet for Chester services - a 5 car will be too long to terminate in the bay platform so would have to occupy 3a while turning around. A 10 car set will be too long for Prestatyn, Colwyn Bay and Bangor unless SDO was used.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It suddenly dawned on me that the 805s will presumably be 5x26m like the other 80x's. That'll be a less flexible fleet for Chester services - a 5 car will be too long to terminate in the bay platform so would have to occupy 3a while turning around. A 10 car set will be too long for Prestatyn, Colwyn Bay and Bangor unless SDO was used.

5.221 is too short for almost every WCML service, so while that may be operationally inconvenient that's no bad thing.

As long as they don't foul anything, SDO can just be used, this is no great issue in itself.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Will the class 805s be able to change from electric to diesel on the move just like the current GWR and LNER 800s / 802s?

Also, I assume the changeover between the two modes will be at Crewe for Chester & North Wales services, and Wolverhampton for Shrewsbury services.

One final thing, knowing what happened to the TPE Hitachis (originally going to be 803 but changed to 802/2 at the last minute), I have a feeling that the new Avanti WC trains will be at the last minute have their class numbers changed from 805 to 800/4 (for the bi-modes) and 807 to 801/3 or 803/1 (for the electrics).

popeter45

Will the class 805s be able to change from electric to diesel on the move just like the current GWR and LNER 800s / 802s?

Also, I assume the changeover between the two modes will be at Crewe for Chester & North Wales services, and Wolverhampton for Shrewsbury services.

One final thing, knowing what happened to the TPE Hitachis (originally going to be 803 but changed to 802/2 at the last minute), I have a feeling that the new Avanti WC trains will be at the last minute have their class numbers changed from 805 to 800/4 (for the bi-modes) and 807 to 801/3 or 803/1 (for the electrics).
800/801 were specifically for the IEP program so would be 802/803 most likely's
i've never been a fan of separate classes for different TOC's versions of the same model of train

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
i've never been a fan of separate classes for different TOC's versions of the same model of train

Yeah same here. It makes no sense to have a completely different class number for a train where there would be no differences at all.

DB

No, and the same with subclasses - that's resulted in some class 66s getting renumbered multiple times when transferred between operators.

Andrew*Debbie

Is SDO single door operation?

Using a single door at Bangor would be a nightmare. Can they not use the front or rear half at Prestatyn, Colwyn Bay and Bangor? Or did I miss something and the 10-car sets are not two 5 car sets coupled together?

Last edited:

On Moderation
Is SDO single door operation?

Using a single door at Bangor would be a nightmare. Makes more sense limit Prestatyn, Colwyn Bay and Bangor to the front or rear half. Or did I miss something and the 10-car sets are not two 5 car sets coupled together?
It’s Selective Door Operation i.e. that only those doors at the platform open.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Yeah same here. It makes no sense to have a completely different class number for a train where there would be no differences at all.
Why not? The class numbers are for operational convenience, not the whim of enthusiasts.

So long as the rolling stock library is happy and it meets the required standards, it really doesn't matter what class number is allocated.

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
Why not? The class numbers are for operational convenience, not the whim of enthusiasts.

So long as the rolling stock library is happy and it meets the required standards, it really doesn't matter what class number is allocated.

Yeah true. After all it's a Hitachi AT300, the best ever train in the UK! (For me of course)

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
You have very limited taste in trains :lol:

Don't get it wrong, there are also some things I don't like the AT300 - the unsuitable seats and the weird noise that it makes when it leaves the station that sounds like a plane overhead locker being closed.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Don't get it wrong, there are also some things I don't like the AT300 - the unsuitable seats and the weird noise that it makes when it leaves the station that sounds like a plane overhead locker being closed.
That's the sound of the door seal engaging; essentially there's a mechanism which shoves the door leaf up against the frame so that air can't get in (for aerodynamic purposes).

The interiors in general feel like they've been done on the cheap, which they probably have, given it was a DfT spec. The horrid flickery PIS displays, poor quality speakers, nasty lighting and plasticy fixtures.

Here's hoping Avanti have specced something nicer inside. If they have, they might just be among my favourites on the whole network.

Pumbaa

Established Member
It’s essentially a diaphragm. Occasionally you find one with a fault where the door makes a racket at 125. Not required for interlock, just sound proofing.

Status
Not open for further replies.