• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

HLE

Established Member
At my TOC, Guards are actively encouraged to try for driving. Around two thirds of drivers since the last franchise change are ex Guards. Yet, during the previous franchise, they were not keen on promoting Guards at all. So it really does depend on who you work for. Plenty of externals have come in and been successful too as well.

Anyway, lets not have this debate again here, we'll get a polite reminder not to in a bit if we carry on!

Now I'm out of the running for this particular job, I'll be wanting to follow everyone else's progress on this thread.

Agreed, I've ran out of popcorn from the last time.

APanamera

Hi, I've just applied and I have got the "10 days" conformation email. But I couldn't find any information about what depot I was applying for, I just has the options of "A, B or C" and no reference to what depots they assigned to. I just went for A assuming it was Euston. Can anyone tell me where I have just applied to?

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Hi, I've just applied and I have got the "10 days" conformation email. But I couldn't find any information about what depot I was applying for, I just has the options of "A, B or C" and no reference to what depots they assigned to. I just went for A assuming it was Euston. Can anyone tell me where I have just applied to?

Where is that? Avanti site?

GG96LFC

Just completed SJT and VSE. Immediately got an email to say I’d failed. Really disappointed as I’d previously passed both tests in the past with another TOC.
Unless I’m mistaken, in the VSE I made 2 errors in part 2 and 4 errors on the right side of part 3 (of course I may have made some errors that I am not aware of), so I’m guessing it must have been some errors in my SJT, although I was pretty confident with most of my answer selections.
Going to email OPC to see if they can shed any light but not expecting much. Really heartbroken as this job would’ve been perfect for me due to many different circumstances. I guess I’ll simply have to hold out until the next recruitment drive in my area

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
Completed the tests and to be fair they were quite tough. Especially parts 3 of the VSE!

Shame was when it started and didn’t seem to have a practice. Only got two misses on VSE from memory - one there (!) and one in the middle of the high intensity bit.

Dri22yDre

Blessings All,

I hope this message finds you well.

This forum was referred to me as I am new in the process of wanting to become a Trainee Train Driver. I must say! ... the forum and all you members Re absolute quality. Your all so helpful, non-judgemental and most of all very empathetic towards those who sadly haven’t been successful to the next stage.

I applied to Avanti West Coast via the link on Wednesday 29th April 2020 where I completed the 25 SJT questions. Once completed, I received an email which reads:

Thank you for completing your application with Avanti West Coast. We've scored your online questionnaire and are pleased to inform you that you have met the standard Avanti West Coast are looking for - congratulations.

You have now been invited to complete the VSE (Visual Search Exercise) and the M7SJT (Magnificent 7 Situational Judgement Test).

Upon receiving this email I was absolutely filled with joy. I immediately downloaded the provided practice materials provided within the email above and practiced througout the day/night On the 29th April 2020. I then had a good sleep and woke up in the morning fresshhh hahah and looked over the materials from the night before. I then gave my brain and eyes a rest and had a goood HEARTY breakfast so I didn’t loose concentration when doing the test.

I then logged in and completed the test which was on Thursday 30th April 2020 around 1:30pm as I felt my mind was clear and ready around that time.

Once completed my hands were shaking like a cocktail maker Hahahah but I was happy it was over. Just like most of you I then received another email which reads:

Thank you for your time in completing the test(s). We are scoring your test(s) and we will be in touch within the next 10 working days.

Kind Regards,
The OPC Recruitment Team

I’m therefore in the same boat as many of you frantically awaiting the next decision.

I have read each page of the forum from 1-19 And have enjoyed doing so as I’ve learned many things I was unsure of before. As I just got to page 19 I thought I’d register and leave this comment as after reading all of your comments and feedback I felt apart of the Gang.

Much love and appreciation to you all and BEST of luck in your application processes whether it be with Avanti or elsewhere.

Bless

Railroader22

Hey guys, just want to give you some feedback. You may remember in my previous post I informed you all I had failed the VSE/M7SJT. I thought I had done so well and felt confident I would pass. I believed my accuracy to be as follows...Test 1: zero errors missed. Test 2: two errors missed. Test 3: 4 errors missed. I asked OPC for feedback and they have just replied that I passed the M7SJT with flying colours but I failed on the VSE. I’m not sure what the accuracy has to be, but judging by my failure then I’m guessing it must be less than 6 errors. Of course I may have missed errors that I didn’t realise or perhaps the scoring is judged by which side of the test the errors are made. But anyway, I just wanted to give you all some feedback. Good luck everyone.

Dri22yDre

Hey guys, just want to give you some feedback. You may remember in my previous post I informed you all I had failed the VSE/M7SJT. I thought I had done so well and felt confident I would pass. I believed my accuracy to be as follows...Test 1: zero errors missed. Test 2: two errors missed. Test 3: 4 errors missed. I asked OPC for feedback and they have just replied that I passed the M7SJT with flying colours but I failed on the VSE. I’m not sure what the accuracy has to be, but judging by my failure then I’m guessing it must be less than 6 errors. Of course I may have missed errors that I didn’t realise or perhaps the scoring is judged by which side of the test the errors are made. But anyway, I just wanted to give you all some feedback. Good luck everyone.
Blessings for the update man. I happy they got back to you to narrow down where you went wrong. Better luck next time and best of luck in your next tests.

Tubey96

Hey guys, just want to give you some feedback. You may remember in my previous post I informed you all I had failed the VSE/M7SJT. I thought I had done so well and felt confident I would pass. I believed my accuracy to be as follows...Test 1: zero errors missed. Test 2: two errors missed. Test 3: 4 errors missed. I asked OPC for feedback and they have just replied that I passed the M7SJT with flying colours but I failed on the VSE. I’m not sure what the accuracy has to be, but judging by my failure then I’m guessing it must be less than 6 errors. Of course I may have missed errors that I didn’t realise or perhaps the scoring is judged by which side of the test the errors are made. But anyway, I ju

Last edited:

Railroader22

there was 3 tests of 140 each, which equals 420. If your saying you made 6 errors that’s 98.5%. Therefore, your telling me people need a 99% score to pass? Must of had more errors than you thought mate
It’s a possibility I may have missed one or two more errors that I didn’t realise, but I’m pretty confident it was only 6. What I do think though was because some of my errors were on the track part of exercise 3 that may have been my reason for failure. Remember the exercise says to prioritise the track part and i didn’t give it enough priority over the two. So it may be a case of missed errors on the left hand side give higher point deduction in your results.

With the vast number of people that were bound to be applying, it makes sense that it would have an exceptionally high pass rate. An easy way to get the numbers down and make sure they end up dealing with the very best.

Even with a lower pass rate, I would have stuffed up anyway! Shouldn't have done it in the place I did at the time I did. Just too many distractions around my house!

Tubey96

With the vast number of people that were bound to be applying, it makes sense that it would have an exceptionally high pass rate. An easy way to get the numbers down and make sure they end up dealing with the very best.

Even with a lower pass rate, I would have stuffed up anyway! Shouldn't have done it in the place I did at the time I did. Just too many distractions around my house!
95% I’d understand, to whittle it to the top performing applicants but 99% is a tad extreme do you not think.

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
95% I’d understand, to whittle it to the top performing applicants but 99% is a tad extreme do you not think.

If an average of 2,000 people apply for one job, and the pass mark is 99%, and perhaps only 5% of people get that level, that's still 100 people to further whittle down. I suppose given the role and the salary you can be as picky as you want as the employer.

hihohelp

Just a question I’ve just completed the m7sjt
am I ok to log out and do the vse tomorrow as my eyes battered

puffpuffgive

Hey Railroader, I think you must have missed a fair few errors you made. Heard back from OPC that I had failed the M7SJT and passed the VSE, but I know I made at least 4 mistakes at part 2 and about 10 mistakes on part 3. I think I only missed 1 track error on part 3 though, and that is the critical one to watch.

I'm now hoping this hasn't screwed my LNER or Chiltern applications

Railroader22

Hey Railroader, I think you must have missed a fair few errors you made. Heard back from OPC that I had failed the M7SJT and passed the VSE, but I know I made at least 4 mistakes at part 2 and about 10 mistakes on part 3. I think I only missed 1 track error on part 3 though, and that is the critical one to watch.

I think my problem was I missed a couple of errors on the track on part 3 and I think that’s what caused my failure. At least we both know what we have to work on next time to smash it anyway. Keep our heads up high and come back stronger and prepared next time.

puffpuffgive

Just out of curiosity puffpuffgive, did you contact OPC or did they contact you

They initially contacted me to say I had not met the standard. I then asked which one (or both) I failed. They told me these tests do count with other TOCs that use the same test (the enhanced optional tests that form the full train driver assessments). So prob is going to scupper other applications as a lot seem to use them.

Jaytrains

I didn’t complete the sjt on time

only managed to answer 21 questions

and i had 0 faults on the 1st stage of the vse and about 4/5 on the second and on the 3rd part of the vse i only missed out on one error on the track and got about 5/6 symbols wrong on the right side..

GG96LFC

To everyone who made very few errors on the VSE and still failed like me, don’t beat yourself up about it too much. I previously passed the same VSE with another TOC 2 years ago despite making a similar amount of errors, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the minimum score to pass had been really high for Avanti due to the sheer number of people applying. Also I found Avanti’s SJT much, much harder than the one I passed with the other TOC.
I’m curious to know, did the people who failed receive the bad news email straight away? Or did it take a day or two to arrive? As soon as I finished the tests, I opened up my email and the email telling me I’d failed was already there waiting for me

Railroader22

To everyone who made very few errors on the VSE and still failed like me, don’t beat yourself up about it too much. I previously passed the same VSE with another TOC 2 years ago despite making a similar amount of errors, so it wouldn’t surprise me if the minimum score to pass had been really high for Avanti due to the sheer number of people applying. Also I found Avanti’s SJT much, much harder than the one I passed with the other TOC.
I’m curious to know, did the people who failed receive the bad news email straight away? Or did it take a day or two to arrive? As soon as I finished the tests, I opened up my email and the email telling me I’d failed was already there waiting for me
I had my rejection email 2 days after completing my VCE/SJT

ArchangelA

Can anyone here hazard a guess as to what the next level of testing will be? So far we've had the application form SJT, next the VSE and M7SJT....then what?

GG96LFC

Can anyone here hazard a guess as to what the next level of testing will be? So far we've had the application form SJT, next the VSE and M7SJT....then what?
When I applied to another TOC a couple of years ago, a couple of weeks after passing the VSE and SJT, we were then invited to do the ‘stage 1 tests,, such as group bourdon, Driver fault finding test etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.