• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Red1980

In fairness to @Red1980 he does make a valid point. There isn’t much to be gained from criticising Avanti’s approach to recruitment. They presumably have their reasons and, at the end of the day, it’s their train set :).

If you’ve passed to enhanced level at another TOC, why not back yourself to get through Avanti’s tests? Nothing ventured nothing gained!

My point exactly mate.

The only negativity I saw was someone moaning over something they have absolutely no control over.

If they want to avoid negativity they should concentrate on passing the thing not what happens if they fail. You could fail twice at any other TOC with national standards etc and it's game over completely so the risks are just as high elsewhere as they are at Avanti.

Last edited:

Red1980

Thank you so much for your wise words. I and others were actually just pointing out that Avanti make a point of choosing to do a different interview style to all other TOCs which in turn penalises every other MMI pass if failed. I’m sure many in this position wouldn’t take the risk of doing the CBI and possibly failing and therefore never being able to become a train driver ever again. Everyone in this post is so positive and helpful, we’ve all helped each other since day one of these jobs being advertised and don’t need such a negative post :)

Negative? What was negative? Someone pointing out the reality? Or someone whining about a recruitment process they don't have to take part in if they don't want to? You didn't seem to be just pointing out the difference you seemed pretty perturbed by it for some reason?

Penalised? You're not being penalised it's a completely different application.....it's no different to passing all the assessments elsewhere and then failing on something another TOC makes you repeat because it's their policy not to accept other TOCs passes. You may not like it but it is what it is. I don't like the fact the national firefighter exams have very little to do with firefighting but I'll still go and take them until I pass.

I think you'll also find there's differences in the recruitment process of most TOCs in some shape or form. Then don't take the risk... I'm sure plenty in this position who have confidence in their own ability wouldn't give the risk (if that's what you call it) a second thought......they'd just plod on and go and take the tests as it's a position they want.

Your probably best deleting the post I initially replied to if you'd like to preach "negativity" at a later date.

Last edited:

UTV

A few years back I got through to assessments with Virgin for Apprenticeship Scheme. I withdrew as I also had a date with another toc for assessments. I weighed up the options and thought Virgin was too risky as they set their standards too high. Now I’m driving with other toc. It’s a personal choice for everyone. (Btw my toc also required enhanced passes but every toc/foc have their own pass mark).

Just finished the new demo tests from OPC. I was originally invited to the Core D tests parts 1-5 but just before I started I got an email saying they'd had lots of responses and no longer needed any more testers. Instead I was invited to a different Core A parts 1-3 with the same deadline but it was possible to email OPC and regain access to the Core D tests which I did.
I completed both sets of tests by this morning and I'd concur with other posters that they were interesting and useful. If you still have your invite and can take a look before the deadline it's worth it.

Last edited:

ArchangelA

Just finished the new demo tests from OPC. I was originally invited to the Core D tests ("Core Skills Diagrammatic Reasoning Test" parts 1-5) but just before I started I got an email saying they'd had lots of responses and no longer needed any more testers. Instead I was invited to a different set ("Core Skills Abstract Reasoning Test" parts 1-3) with the same deadline but it was possible to email OPC and regain access to the Core D tests which I did.
I completed both sets of tests by this morning and I'd concur with other posters that they were interesting and useful. If you still have your invite and can take a look before the deadline it's worth it.
That just proves that the OPC are trialling a number of different tests and we've all been given different ones to do. I agree with your comments ;)

Those debating whether to attempt the trial testing, the way OPC worded the email there is a chance that these could be very similar to tests set in future years? That may give an advantage when applying for roles in the future should any of us find ourselves unsuccessful this time round. Well worth an hour of your time.

Octopus28

Rumour had it you were going to decline it as you would lose your MMI pass ;)!
Not a rumour ;) Awaiting on an reply from the OPC, I’m just going from what other people have said about how it works, I’d rather hear it from the OPC themselves before doing anything haha!

Stigy

Established Member
Not a rumour ;) Awaiting on an reply from the OPC, I’m just going from what other people have said about how it works, I’d rather hear it from the OPC themselves before doing anything haha!
To be honest, it doesn’t make it any more accurate as they themselves often tell people different things :D

Octopus28

Thank you, me too. No email yet though. :s
They were sending 48 emails out apparently for the first dates & then after they’re done with them, everyone else will be emailed! Everyone will get one eventually so don’t worry :)

Jaytrains

They were sending 48 emails out apparently for the first dates & then after they’re done with them, everyone else will be emailed! Everyone will get one eventually so don’t worry :)

did they state the tests you’ll be doing on the day?

Octopus28

did they state the tests you’ll be doing on the day?
The email just said; On the day itself we will be potentially asking you to complete the following tests so please prepare for all of them:
Group Bourdon
TRP1 & 2
Tea-Occ
Vienna Test System (WAFV, ATAVT, 2-Hand)
CBI interview

So that’s all of them really haha

Status
Not open for further replies.