• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti West Coast Trainee Train Driver Euston and Wolverhampton

Status
Not open for further replies.

na281093

Failed the VSE M7SJT.

That was quick... when did you actually do it? I thought it would take a lot longer to receive results. Keep your head up pal other opportunities will come up, we all know how long of a process this can be.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman2

I received an immediate response after completing the tests

We've scored your test(s) and unfortunately on this occasion you weren't able to meet the standard Avanti West Coast were looking for.

Anybody else done the test and recieved no response?

I actually done my test in the middle of the night while everybody was asleep so nobody disturbs me. At the moment when my whole computer screen was lighting up in test 3 my wife creeps up on me as I was talking out loud, yes false, no false, that might have did it for me.

na281093

I received an immediate response after completing the tests

We've scored your test(s) and unfortunately on this occasion you weren't able to meet the standard Avanti West Coast were looking for.

Anybody else done the test and recieved no response?

I actually done my test in the middle of the night while everybody was asleep so nobody disturbs me. At the moment when my whole computer screen was lighting up in test 3 my wife creeps up on me as I was talking out loud, yes false, no false, that might have did it for me.

I did the test earlier today mate along with the SJT and haven’t received a response yet. After the first two parts and concentrating intensely for a while, I can definitely see how someone creeping up on you would have been a distraction. I probably would have been the same, I done the test in a room upstairs and told the family to just stay downstairs and leave me alone until I come back down haha!

Jaytrains

I did the test earlier today mate along with the SJT and haven’t received a response yet. After the first two parts and concentrating intensely for a while, I can definitely see how someone creeping up on you would have been a distraction. I probably would have been the same, I done the test in a room upstairs and told the family to just stay downstairs and leave me alone until I come back down haha!

I’m literally doing the same thinggg

Mjpmark

I did mine yesterday around 11am. Upstairs locked in a room in silence. The slightest thing can throw you off. I haven't heard anything yet. Gutted for you pal.

Just a quick question to anybody who's already sat this. How important is sound quality?

Reason I ask is that I'm now at work Friday, Saturday and Sunday and plan to use my 3 lunch breaks to look at the practice material and eventually sit the test in a guaranteed peaceful environment. If I do the test at home I will have much better sound quality but most likely have my dark barking in the background.

Any advice appreciated

Brfns

Hey! I was fortunate enough to be invited to the next stage. How difficult were the tasks, I’m going to practice and have an attempt at them at the end of the week. I’m concerned about task 3.. was it difficult?

Mjpmark

Just a quick question to anybody who's already sat this. How important is sound quality?

Reason I ask is that I'm now at work Friday, Saturday and Sunday and plan to use my 3 lunch breaks to look at the practice material and eventually sit the test in a guaranteed peaceful environment. If I do the test at home I will have much better sound quality but most likely have my dark barking in the background.

Any advice appreciated

If there was any sound I missed it as I had my speakers off. So as long as you can block the barking out and focus you should be just fine. Can anyone else let me know if there was sound that I've missed?

Trogladyte

In the part that said which of these characteristics are most like you and which arent what did you put? I got a rejection email

Trackman2

For those havent done it, I did fail. But I can give some pointers in doing the signs. It can be confusing when clicking on yes or no.
You are meant to click on Yes when there is an error and No when there isnt an error. This can confuse you as you might start clicking on Yes subconciosuly to say yes they are matching symbols.
So I would say out loud: No error, Yes error. This made sure I would click on yes or no correctly as it can confuse you. Ignore everything else on the screen, messages etc. Just stick to looking at the symbols and immediately decide, No error or Yes error and click.

When doing test 1. Dont keep your eye on the ball.
Alway look at where it should go next and keep your eye there. If it doesnt or does something different then it is an error. Keeping an eye on the ball and then trying to process if done the right thing is too much in too short time.
Just look at next circle, did it land there? was it blue? Yes? then no error. Look at next circle etc...

I hope this helps and may the best get the job.

Octopus28

For those havent done it, I did fail. But I can give some pointers in doing the signs. It can be confusing when clicking on yes or no.
You are meant to click on Yes when there is an error and No when there isnt an error. This can confuse you as you might start clicking on Yes subconciosuly to say yes they are matching symbols.
So I would say out loud: No error, Yes error. This made sure I would click on yes or no correctly as it can confuse you. Ignore everything else on the screen, messages etc. Just stick to looking at the symbols and immediately decide, No error or Yes error and click.

When doing test 1. Dont keep your eye on the ball.
Alway look at where it should go next and keep your eye there. If it doesnt or does something different then it is an error. Keeping an eye on the ball and then trying to process if done the right thing is too much in too short time.
Just look at next circle, did it land there? was it blue? Yes? then no error. Look at next circle etc...

I hope this helps and may the best get the job.
Too many people shy away from helping others in fear of them getting the job over you. I know that unfortunately you failed on this occasion, but seriously hats off to you for the advice and pointers you’ve given :)

Geeza3131

I did the tests last night, stage 1 and 2 of the vse is OK stage 3 is tricky, it does say that the priority is the track errors.

PChapM

Has anyone applied Monday receive an email yet? Only received confirmation email. No result yet.

lcdcm123

Do both tests have to be done in the same sitting or can I do one log out and complete the other one later? Thanks

ArchangelA

Am I right in saying that the Visual Search Exercise (VSE) consists of test 1..watching a dot call at stations on a track and reporting when it misses a station...2..a two column exercis watching constantly watching for 4 or more lit up square containing pairs of symbols...3..a combination of tests 1 and 2 running at same time?

puffpuffgive

Am I right in saying that the Visual Search Exercise (VSE) consists of test 1..watching a dot call at stations on a track and reporting when it misses a station...2..a two column exercis watching constantly watching for 4 or more lit up square containing pairs of symbols...3..a combination of tests 1 and 2 running at same time?

yes

bruebunny

Anybody else find the VSE really tough?

Those who found it easy, how many mistake did you make?
Personally I did fine the first time, one or two on the second and I think around ten on the last. Definitely a couple of situations where I went to click but was too late so ended up clicking just as it changed and so missing one and then getting the next one immediately wrong.

puffpuffgive

Personally I did fine the first time, one or two on the second and I think around ten on the last. Definitely a couple of situations where I went to click but was too late so ended up clicking just as it changed and so missing one and then getting the next one immediately wrong.

I was similar, none wrong on part one, probably about 5 on the second one because i couldn't get my head round the "yes" "no". On the third I made 1-2 mistakes on the track and probably about 10 on the signs. I also got double losses for hitting a fraction too late.

Status
Not open for further replies.