• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Avanti Westcoast not issuing Delay Repay Compensation Forms

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Fobbing customers off with having to contact customer resolutions is not an acceptable replacement to an effective Delay Repay Scheme.Replies take weeks because the staff are overloaded and why are they overloaded because the Automated Delay Digital System is not reliable and they will not supply claim forms.A vicious circle of poor customer service

Having more people apply on paper doesn't solve that. What they need is people applying on paper only if they have no other viable option.

It always astonishes me just how much Luddism you see on this online forum.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
Having more people apply on paper doesn't solve that. What they need is people applying on paper only if they have no other viable option.
This is correct. And make the on line option as easy as possible and that is what most will do - retain the fall back for those who need it, but don't withdraw it / make it deliberately awkward for them.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
This is correct. And make the on line option as easy as possible and that is what most will do - retain the fall back for those who need it, but don't withdraw it / make it deliberately awkward for them.

It's not been withdrawn. It's being made a little less obvious so people who can do online do.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member

It always astonishes me just how much Luddism you see on this online forum.
This, precisely. The Internet is good for moaning about how you can’t find a Stone Age papyrus form at New Street station but bad for claiming delay repay, apparently.

WesternLancer

Established Member
This, precisely. The Internet is good for moaning about how you can’t find a Stone Age papyrus form at New Street station but bad for claiming delay repay, apparently.
Not sure you will ever find my elderly parents who can't claim D-R on line without my help posting on this forum.

XAM2175

Established Member
Fobbing customers off with having to contact customer resolutions is not an acceptable replacement to an effective Delay Repay Scheme.Replies take weeks because the staff are overloaded and why are they overloaded because the Automated Delay Digital System is not reliable and they will not supply claim forms.A vicious circle of poor customer service
I'm struggling to see how you found that interpretation of the post where I said the form should be available at the booking office.

robbeech

Established Member
I’m all for digital interactions being the default and I’m in support of making non digital ones a little bit sparse to encourage people to use the digital version. It’s in their own interest to do so, their claim will be paid* much faster and they don’t have to go through the ordeal of posting it. I’m not in favour of outright “you can’t do that any more” responses when it’s not true.

*or, increasingly likely to be rejected for some utter nonsensical reason the random excuse generator kicks out.
“Unfortunately you claim hasn’t been successful this time because Gerald couldn’t find any salmon today”

WesternLancer

Established Member
Are they unable to write a letter?

If so, how is it that they can complete a form but not write a covering letter?
They can Bletchleyite - but you are quoting my response to a different point made by someone else....

As it happens without the internet (or a form with the address on it) it can be hard to find out where to send your letter however (esp now TOCs have stopped printing paper timetables which often would be a place to find a postal address or phone number).

OBERHAUSEN5@YA

Yes it is bad because the Automated Repay System does not identify delays of over one hour and this is not addressed when raised as an issue.It is perfectly reasonable to expect Avanti to facilitate Delay Repay Forms and for Birmingham New St to supply them. Instead have to deal with half trained staff who apparently feel they are doing you a favour even by speaking to you.If Avanti were a half decent company the issues raised in this forum would be addressed urgently. It is not surprising many passengers do not apply for compensation and accept poor service given the obstacles Avanti create to stop claims

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Yes it is bad because the Automated Repay System does not identify delays of over one hour

This is not true, as I have had a "100% of return" payout from Avanti.

I agree they're a rubbish TOC and have a rubbish Delay Repay system, but that's not a reason to revert to old-fashioned means, it's a reason to fix it.

Vespa

Established Member

* If you add "and is also deaf and dumb so cannot use the telephone", the number of people in that position without a carer will be 0.
Sorry to go off topic a bit, could you please not use "dumb" as it implies stupidity.

Just Deaf will do.

Thanks

AngusH

I'm not sure this one has been thought out properly.

A preprinted form can be processed much more efficiently than a free form letter.

With a properly designed form you can instantly see what type of thing it is
and then have it properly processed.

The information you want from the sender is also laid out in the proper structure
and it should be obvious if it's missing.

Clever companies can use machine scannable forms to cut processing effort further.
The paper passport forms being an obvious example.

A letter has to be read by a person first before the purpose can even be identified.
Then required information may not have been included because the sender didn't
realise they needed to send it.

This adds a round trip response and further effort.
There may be an extra round trip again when the second reply is missing something too.

Did they really think this will save them much money, or is it just an accidental change?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Sorry to go off topic a bit, could you please not use "dumb" as it implies stupidity.

Just Deaf will do.

Thanks

It refers to being both deaf and unable to communicate through speech. Most deaf people can speak.

What's the correct word for that these days so I might use it in future? Deaf and mute perhaps?

Edit: well, I never, there's no acceptable term for it. Strange, but fair enough.

Deaf-mute is a term which was used historically to identify a person who was either deaf and used sign language or both deaf and could not speak. The term continues to be used to refer to deaf people who cannot speak an oral language or have some degree of speaking ability, but choose not to speak because of the negative or unwanted attention atypical voices sometimes attract. Such people communicate using sign language.[1] Some consider it to be a derogatory term if used outside its historical context; the preferred term today is simply "deaf".[2]

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
How would you do that with spilt tickets?

I've done it by taking one photo of all of them, and using the sum of the cost as the amount when entering it (this was to LNR and it was paid without argument). But another option is to email it to customer services and let them sort it out.

Last edited:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Before the thread descends into complete farce, it is locked.

Hopefully the OP has his answer to the way forward. Utilising the freepost address is going to be your best bet.

The railway is now state-owned, and cost-cutting is at the forefront of almost all considerations (anyone who doesn't agree will have to complain to their own MPs) and spending is closely controlled, so things like pre-printed delay repay forms will only gradually be on the way out. This conveniently serves two purposes, alongside cost considerations it will fulfill a "green" objective too. It is unfortunate that some people will inevitably be left behind by technological advancements, but this is the way things have always worked, especially when providing for more and more niche needs starts to become exponentially more expensive (which often incurs a surcharge in many areas of life where reasonable free alternatives exist).

Status
Not open for further replies.