• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teaboy1

Went last night to Bradford IMAX cinema to see this movie...........stunningly brilliant..........if you like that sort of thing!!
The 3-D effects are superb and the 2 1/2 hours were spent in jaw-dropping suspense. The IMAX cinema does this type of movie justice and the 3-D effects make it a stunning experience. IMAX also available at Gateshead, Manchester, Brum and others??

Take the kids and GO!!

You need to book in advance over the phone ( but not after 6pm...no-one there!!) and queue up early, best position in seating is dead-centre!!

Take the kids and GO....NOW!! 11/10!!:)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bill EWS

My son and I went to see Avatar a week ago. It was at our local cinema, which is not an IMAX one. However, the screen was big enough to give plenty of impact. I am always interested in seeing 3-D and I am also a great fan of Sci-Fi and hoped that the hype would live up to it's name.

In spite of the film being apprx. two and three quarter hours long I was suprised how quickly it all seemed to go. There were no boring parts of any consequence. The story flows and changes in smooth sections and keeps your interest going.

The 3-D is quite spectacular at times and works best when looking into infinity is part of the scene, you really feel as if the interior of the space craft is really massive.

There is considerable use of lovely subtle colours where generally everything computer produced tends to look overly blue in colour.

The story line is very much 'Cowboys & Indians' with the Canvary coming to the resque but this time the Calvary turn out to be the enemy! I won't spoil the story altogether but leave it at that.

I have already read nasty comments about the politics of the film and if you are very right-wing you won't care for the nasty side of that political leaning being shown up. However, there is also a very touching spiritual side to the film too, which gives some counterbalance.

Older 3-D in the cinema was spoiled for many people due to the mechanical difficulties of running two projectors, with a mechanical connection between them to keep them in sync, plus the fact that film moves in the projector gate and gets worse with wear. However, in this case there is only one projector in use and the digital images are rock steady, therefore you should not suffer any discomfort from the long viewing time.

I worked as a trainee projectionist back in the 50's and we ran a season of the best 3-D films, such as Kiss Me Kate, The House Of Wax etc. It was interesting working with the medium and, of course, getting to see all those 3-D films for free. They used two projectors, whith the motors linked by a rotating bar to keep them in sync. The reels were 3-4ft in size and ran for half the film, with an interval to allow for the changeover. If a film snapped you had to find the exact same frame on the other reel and make a splice precisely to avoid the film running out of sync.

Avatar is 95% computer graphics, with real people mixed in. Visually it is fantastic and as mentioned, the use of subtle colour really shows itself.

I have not been happy with computer graphics, especially in the rather sluggish movement of walking, running etc. However Avatar proves how much this has progressed and while not yet perfect the animation flow is getting more and more natural. This is the best I have seen so far in this regard. It brings the claim that making really good films with live actors whatsoever, except for voices, is getting pretty close. Of course, whether you like that sort of thing or not will always be a personal choice.

If you haven't seen a 3-D film for some years and wasn't impressed or suffered from the faults mentioned then I would recommend that you go and see Avatar, sit back and really enjoy the latest technology involved. There is next to no gimmicky 3-D scenes and the affect is a natural part of the scene and where it really works it will blow your socks off. IMAX is great but you don't need that to enjoy the film. However, I think it will look a bit sad when it reaches your TV screens.

tinyanmcw

my son and i went to see avatar a week ago. It was at our local cinema, which is not an imax one. However, the screen was big enough to give plenty of impact. I am always interested in seeing 3-d and i am also a great fan of sci-fi and hoped that the hype would live up to it's name.

In spite of the film being apprx. Two and three quarter hours long i was suprised how quickly it all seemed to go. There were no boring parts of any consequence. The story flows and changes in smooth sections and keeps your interest going.

The 3-d is quite spectacular at times and works best when looking into infinity is part of the scene, you really feel as if the interior of the space craft is really massive.

There is considerable use of lovely subtle colours where generally everything computer produced tends to look overly blue in colour.

The story line is very much 'cowboys & indians' with the canvary coming to the resque but this time the calvary turn out to be the enemy! I won't spoil the story altogether but leave it at that.

I have already read nasty comments about the politics of the film and if you are very right-wing you won't care for the nasty side of that political leaning being shown up. However, there is also a very touching spiritual side to the film too, which gives some counterbalance.

Older 3-d in the cinema was spoiled for many people due to the mechanical difficulties of running two projectors, with a mechanical connection between them to keep them in sync, plus the fact that film moves in the projector gate and gets worse with wear. However, in this case there is only one projector in use and the digital images are rock steady, therefore you should not suffer any discomfort from the long viewing time.

I worked as a trainee projectionist back in the 50's and we ran a season of the best 3-d films, such as kiss me kate, the house of wax etc. It was interesting working with the medium and, of course, getting to see all those 3-d films for free. They used two projectors, whith the motors linked by a rotating bar to keep them in sync. The reels were 3-4ft in size and ran for half the film, with an interval to allow for the changeover. If a film snapped you had to find the exact same frame on the other reel and make a splice precisely to avoid the film running out of sync.

Avatar is 95% computer graphics, with real people mixed in. Visually it is fantastic and as mentioned, the use of subtle colour really shows itself.

I have not been happy with computer graphics, especially in the rather sluggish movement of walking, running etc. However avatar proves how much this has progressed and while not yet perfect the animation flow is getting more and more natural. This is the best i have seen so far in this regard. It brings the claim that making really good films with live actors whatsoever, except for voices, is getting pretty close. Of course, whether you like that sort of thing or not will always be a personal choice.

If you haven't seen a 3-d film for some years and wasn't impressed or suffered from the faults mentioned then i would recommend that you go and see avatar, sit back and really enjoy the latest technology involved. There is next to no gimmicky 3-d scenes and the affect is a natural part of the scene and where it really works it will blow your socks off. Imax is great but you don't need that to enjoy the film. However, i think it will look a bit sad when it reaches your tv screens.

not every cinema can watch this in 3d over there?

krus_aragon

Established Member
not every cinema can watch this in 3d over there?

Modern 3D requires a digital projector and a special reflective screen. Instead of the old red and green images for each lens/eye, one image is vertically polarised, and the other horizontal, so the polarisation must be maintained when reflected off the screen. The 9 screen multiplex in Llandudno Junction was built with one digital projector when it replaced engine shed 6G about a decade ago, but only got a 'silver' screen fitted a year back. Lots of old/rural cinemas will miss out on the 3D malarchy.

tinyanmcw

Modern 3D requires a digital projector and a special reflective screen. Instead of the old red and green images for each lens/eye, one image is vertically polarised, and the other horizontal, so the polarisation must be maintained when reflected off the screen. The 9 screen multiplex in Llandudno Junction was built with one digital projector when it replaced engine shed 6G about a decade ago, but only got a 'silver' screen fitted a year back. Lots of old/rural cinemas will miss out on the 3D malarchy.

but we can watch it in 3D in most of the cinemas here

Teaboy1

I too found that the 2.5 hour film just flew by and that the story line was excellent with no dull bits.
The 3-D malarkey is not always necessary depending on the subject story but here it definitely helps the visual epic.

The IMAX is most unlike a normal cinema which, when you go to one, you will see. Bradford only seats 200 people so its not a big seat area. The screen is curved and is very large.......so large that if you sit dead-centre....it fills all your field of vision.....thats why I advise you to get there early and grab those seats dead centre. You also sit relatively close to the screen.....again it fills your field of view. The film is apparently shot or projected with 70mm film.......quite how its done when its all CGI cannot say or digital images......but its very very effective.
I would recommend NOT to watch it first time on a TV or PC, it just dont work!! The red/blue specs ypou are given are large proper plastic framed jobs that fit over anyone's normal spec, you simply hand these back as you leave. Dont bother with crappy cardboard specs, the plastic ones were perfect....they are massive lenses and you kinda look like Brains from ThunderBirds......but hey everyones got 'em on!
If you have an IMAX within a hour or two's drive, then make the effort, you will not be disappointed.:p

Right......just copied this lot from the B'ham IMAX site;

About IMAX

For excitement, scale and sheer sensory overload nothing comes close to the IMAX experience.

With a screen as high as a five storey building and as wide as four buses nose to tail, 2D presentations are spectacular enough, but the special 3D films will have people reaching out to touch the images on the screen. The crystal clear picture and 42 speakers of digital surround sound ensure a truly captivating experience.

You'll never look at a trip to the cinema in the same way again.
What is IMAX?

IMAX is the largest and most exciting film format in the world!

With crystal clear images, ten times larger than traditional cinema format, the IMAX experience draws you in with pictures so real you want to touch them, so powerful you can feel them.

The IMAX experience takes an image rich in clarity and definition, throws it onto the world's biggest screens and wraps the viewer in digital surround sound.

What’s so different about IMAX?

Since the earliest days of cinema, film makers have realised that the bigger the image the greater the impact on the viewer.

Imagine the difference between watching a film on video at home and the same film at a regular cinema. The film may be the same, but the experience couldn't be more different. Well consider the jump from traditional cinema to IMAX as a similar dramatic leap.

With IMAX® 3D we then add, quite literally, a new dimension to the whole electrifying experience.

Using state-of-the-art polarised glasses, the IMAX® 3D experience has brought 3D enjoyment a long way from the cardboard glasses of the 1950s.

Bigger images. Better sound. Sharper 3D. The IMAX experience is the future of film entertainment.

Screen and Sound Systems

The screens in IMAX Cinemas are the biggest in the World. Up to eight storeys high, they are ten times larger than a traditional cinema screen and fill the whole field of human vision.

Made of stretched vinyl, coated with a reflective silver paint they are stretched taut over a scaffold frame.

With thousands of small perforations they allow sound from speakers positioned behind the screen to play their key role in the total surround sound system.

Sound is critical to the IMAX experience. The film soundtracks are delivered through a mighty 15,000 watt digital surround sound system.

The screen at Millennium Point, is 22 metres wide by 16 metres high. That is as tall as a five storey building, and as wide and 4 buses nose to tail!

Film Size & Projector

To project such large films IMAX have built the most advanced, high precision and powerful projectors.

IMAX films are shot and projected on 70mm film - the largest film format in the world. It is only possible to project these onto the huge screen because of the remarkable high definition and clarity of these film frames.

And it is these huge film frames that are at the heart of the IMAX experience. Three times larger than the traditional 70 mm cinemascope frames they have pushed the quality of motion picture images to new heights (quite literally).

The key to their superior performance and reliability is the unique 'Rolling Loop' film movement. The Rolling Loop advances the film horizontally in a smooth, wave-like motion. During projection, each frame is positioned on a fixed registration point and the film is held firmly against the rear element of the lens by a vacuum. As a result, the picture and focus steadiness are far above normal standards and provide outstanding image clarity.

The powerful 3D projector uses two 15,000 watt bulbs (the average 35mm projector uses a bulb between 2,000 and 4,000 watts). The huge heat generated requires a dedicated cooling system that pumps 1,600 cubic metres of air and 36 litres of distilled water through the lamp housing every minute to keep the projector cool.
How IMAX 3D Works

IMAX® 3D is state-of-the-art technology to take the 3D film experience in a whole new direction.

3D technology is based on human vision. It mimics the way we see the real world. When you look at an object each eye sees a slightly different view and our brain fuses these together into a single 3D image.

The two lenses on the IMAX® 3D camera roughly match the distance between our eyes and so each lens 'sees' a slightly different view. The images are photographed onto two separate rolls of film - corresponding to a right eye and left eye image - which run simultaneously through the camera.

These two films are then simultaneously projected in the theatre. This is why the picture looks a little fuzzy when viewed without 3D glasses, as you are seeing two pictures at once.

Our glasses contain polarized lenses, which allow just one picture to be seen by each eye, thus tricking the brain into seeing the 3D image.

.....thought those specs were good.......they are polarised!! Enjoy!!

Last edited:

krus_aragon

Established Member
but we can watch it in 3D in most of the cinemas here

If the cinemas in your neck of the woods have at least one digital projector, then fitting a 'silver' screen isn't more than an afternoon's work

Sticking to North Wales, Llandudno Jn, as the only multiplex, is the only cinema (new and wealthy enough) that I know to have a digital projector. Other cinemas are old small ones, or theatres that show one or two titles a week, so can't afford the capital investment. Drifting east to Chester, I can think of one older 6 screen that has no digital projector, but the big out-of-town cinema does have some. All three modern cinemas in Cardiff do digital (and 3D), but the old one in nearby Barry won't.

Bill EWS

I have only seen IMAX once and it was in 2-D. This was back in 1982 at the Science Centre in Detroit. The film was called 'The Dream Is Alive' which was filmed from a NASA Space Launch and gave fantastic views of the Earth and the crew in orbit.

I have known Cinemascope since it was introduced in 1952 with 'The Robe' being the first production and which made cimeasope and surround stereo sound so popular. I have also seen a number of films on the Three-Screen Cinerama system, which was later reduced to single 70mm widescreen. You may recall the Todd-AO system! If I recall correctly, that was 90mm film reduced to 70mm. The first film produced in this format was 'Around The World In 80 Days with David Niven.

I don't think we had any cinema over here that could run 90mm films, though I may be wrong.

Another widescreen film format, which I believe was only ever shown in the States was called Vistavision. Films you may know that were made in this format were High Society and White Christmas amungst others. The 35mm film ran sidewise through the projector and the image covered 3x35mm width, giving a really wide view. In the UK it was reduced to fit the 35mm Cinemascope format for general showing.

The musical films OKlahoma, Carousel and the King & I were produced in Cinemascope 55but that image was reduced to 35mm for general projection, which fitted the cinemascope screen, with just that little more picture at each edge than with 35mm cinemascope.

I was also involved in replacing the normal Panoramic Screen in the cinema I worked at in the late 50's, and setting up the massive 'silvered' screen for the season of 3-D films that I mentioned previously. You needed a head for heights on that job. 3-D does not work on a normal cloth screens, it has to be metalic. I noticed in our local cinema where I watched Avatar that there is not only a 'hot spot' in the centre of the screen, which is very typical of Metalic screens but that there were small markings along the top of the cinemascope screen, which appears to be caused by the fittings at each point of the screen length holding it up. It shows up as coloured rainbow-like distortions by the projection light being distorted on these fittings. I found that a little off-putting as it catches your eye during bright sky areas or other highlights in the film.

However, I would like to see IMAX in 3-D and hope to do so eventually but both nearest IMAX cinemas are a good hours HST ride both east and west of here and not always convenient to get there. Having said that, is the IMAX in Bristol still open? If not that would only leave London for me go to.

Perhaps this little story may explain why there are so many film formats, which you notice on present day Widescreen TV sets.

Stacey

I saw it the other week at Paignton. That wasn't an IMAX or anything, though there were two screenings, a directors' version (dearer, presume proper 3D) and the normal screen. Being a tight arse I went normal and I really enjoyed the film. I went as it was something to do and I like going to the cinema anyway. It did go quickly and was very well done, I'd see it again. I liked the way the humans/aliens were put together on the same screen, very convincing and it was basically a different style action movie, I didn't have to think too much either!!
There are a lot of comparisons to Titanic as same director but personally Titanic was rubbish until the last hour. Far far too much romance in it, spoiled the entire thing but that last hour was hell. Avatar had a nice balance between the two so was good. :)

- For recent movies, good action movie; 2012 - liked that :) better than Day After Tomorrow as that was like 'its our fault' blah blah this was like, damage done bring on the carnage...very good, no thought required and good effects.
- Twilight: New Moon - liked that a lot, 3 hours odd followed nicely on from Twilight though it treaded water a little bit in one or two places but finished on a cliff hanger and can't wait for the next one!

I go to cinema a lot, leave it there, last 3 I've seen!!

Teaboy1

Yes IMAX is still there in Bristol, Cardiff and Birmingham.....Bradford, Gateshead and London.

Guess Bristol would be easiest or Birmingham if you wanted a day out! Need to book though!

Status
Not open for further replies.