• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ld0595

Also Qantas have announced plans for Direct Brisbane to Heathrow Flights and Brisbane to JFK they plan to have these by 2021 Much better airport to fly into at Brisbane than Perth

Not quite right here - Qantas have challenged Airbus and Boeing to make a jet with the range to allow a direct Sydney/Brisbane to London/JFK flight. There are no plans to do it unless they can get an aircraft with enough range.

But yes, direct London to Perth flights will be starting in March I believe on their new 787.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gsnedders

Established Member
Qantas appear to be doing there best to "ditch" the Dubai routes and they are reverting to Flying mainly via Singapore to Europe now. you can still use codeshare flights via Dubai with Emirates and Qantas but most are being ditched. All the A380 routes are being diverted via Changi.

Any indication as to what's triggered that?

berneyarms

Established Member
Any indication as to what's triggered that?

They say most of their customers are going onward to London and that those travelling elsewhere can continue to avail of the codeshare on Emirates flights via Dubai.

Routing via Singapore will allow them develop the Asian markets.

atillathehunn

Established Member
They say most of their customers are going onward to London and that those travelling elsewhere can continue to avail of the codeshare on Emirates flights via Dubai.

Interesting move. Clearly intended to go up against SQ on the Asia - Aus market as well.

QF1 will become SYD-SIN-LHR
QF9 will become MEL-PER-LHR

The A380 which is released from the MEL-LHR route then goes to a dedicated MEL-SIN route, with different arrival times (and a fairly good connection onto QF1 to London if required.

BA will be a little worried as their LHR-SIN-SYD route is very profitable, they won't want to lose that, and QF hard product is a lot better.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Oh and if this wasn't enough airline news, Cathay Pacific have announced Dublin to Hong Kong direct flights.

Four times per week from June 2018.

There's also a strong rumour that Hainan have been looking at Dublin as a tag on from Manchester, or indeed their own dedicated flight.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
QF1 will become SYD-SIN-LHR
QF9 will become MEL-PER-LHR

The A380 which is released from the MEL-LHR route then goes to a dedicated MEL-SIN route, with different arrival times (and a fairly good connection onto QF1 to London if required.

I hadn't appreciated that the non-stop Perth flight was going to be a rerouting and downsizing of QF9. Interesting.

Last time I was on QF1 it went SYD-BKK-LHR. Long time ago though!

fowler9

Established Member
Qantas appear to be doing there best to "ditch" the Dubai routes and they are reverting to Flying mainly via Singapore to Europe now. you can still use codeshare flights via Dubai with Emirates and Qantas but most are being ditched. All the A380 routes are being diverted via Changi.

Perth Direct to Heathrow starts soon i hear?

Also Qantas have announced plans for Direct Brisbane to Heathrow Flights and Brisbane to JFK they plan to have these by 2021 Much better airport to fly into at Brisbane than Perth

Interesting you should say that about Brisbane Airport. I got stuck there for 8 hours the only time I flew from there to Christchurch and as aircraft delays go it was quite pleasant.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I hadn't appreciated that the non-stop Perth flight was going to be a rerouting and downsizing of QF9. Interesting.

Last time I was on QF1 it went SYD-BKK-LHR. Long time ago though!

I had heard a rumour that the Perth non-stop to London would have a tag on to somewhere. Melbourne was a fairly likely candidate.

QF1 out of Singapore to London is likely to be completely rammed. Not just Sydney originating traffic, but connections from Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide etc. Can't imagine that flight will go out empty much.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member

It would be interesting to know how many passengers who book with Qantas to/from the UK are connecting to other airports here. From Manchester one-stop service is available to most of Australia via Singapore or Hong Kong without having to go anywhere near Heathrow or Dubai, both of which are so busy as to make connections something of a hassle much of the time. Of course neither of those routeings involve Qantas (or BA). Could it be that the Kangaroo Route is simply becoming less important to Qantas and routeing via Singapore will allow them to grow a more diverse connectional network?

Crawley Ben

Very interesting, thanks.

Do you mean that the Vegas route replaces the Vegas route from Heathrow, or is in addition to?

That's a lot of capacity to Canada...

In addition to the flights already operated from LHR (apologies for not making that clear in the initial post)

Yes, an awful lot of capacity from Gatwick to Canada.

Cheers

Ben

atillathehunn

Established Member
It would be interesting to know how many passengers who book with Qantas to/from the UK are connecting to other airports here. From Manchester one-stop service is available to most of Australia via Singapore or Hong Kong without having to go anywhere near Heathrow or Dubai, both of which are so busy as to make connections something of a hassle much of the time. Of course neither of those routeings involve Qantas (or BA). Could it be that the Kangaroo Route is simply becoming less important to Qantas and routeing via Singapore will allow them to grow a more diverse connectional network?

The changes to Melbourne show they are pretty keen on improving the Asian market. From my reading of the situation they are keeping the codeshares on the Emirates routes, so west-bound passengers travelling to non-European destinations could still go via Dubai.

Changhi is also a significantly better airport than DXB, possibly factors into it.

With BA having such a heavy presence in Singapore, perhaps a joint venture is in the offing?? They used to have one, and both are OneWorld.

ld0595

There's also a strong rumour that Hainan have been looking at Dublin as a tag on from Manchester, or indeed their own dedicated flight.

This article here suggests Hainan will operate on alternate days between Dublin and Edinburgh, and I've read elsewhere that it seems to be mostly sorted. I know Edinburgh has been trying to get a China flight for a while now, so hopefully we'll hear a positive announcement in the next few weeks/months!

On another note, I'm due to be flying my second A380 this weekend - Sydney to Dubai via Bangkok. Apart from the length of the flights, I'm looking forward to it!

atillathehunn

Established Member
This article here suggests Hainan will operate on alternate days between Dublin and Edinburgh, and I've read elsewhere that it seems to be mostly sorted. I know Edinburgh has been trying to get a China flight for a while now, so hopefully we'll hear a positive announcement in the next few weeks/months!

On another note, I'm due to be flying my second A380 this weekend - Sydney to Dubai via Bangkok. Apart from the length of the flights, I'm looking forward to it!

Ah yes thanks for reminding me. I knew Manchester had been discussed, but I had forgotten there were more recent talks in getting Edinburgh and Dublin connected. It had gone quiet for a while, but I think Cathay announcing Dublin is going to prompt Hainan into action. When Cathay announced Manchester, Hainan weren't far behind.

Enjoy the whale. Neither segment is horrific in length, but combined they are a bit of a marathon. Enjoy the wine and the view!

gsnedders

Established Member
The changes to Melbourne show they are pretty keen on improving the Asian market. From my reading of the situation they are keeping the codeshares on the Emirates routes, so west-bound passengers travelling to non-European destinations could still go via Dubai.

Even within Europe it often makes sense to go via DUB (as Emirates fly to many smaller non-hub airports), versus flying into LHR and then having the stopover in SIN beyond there. That said, I can't imagine that many people flying via DUB won't just fly on via Emirates today.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Even within Europe it often makes sense to go via DUB (as Emirates fly to many smaller non-hub airports), versus flying into LHR and then having the stopover in SIN beyond there. That said, I can't imagine that many people flying via DUB won't just fly on via Emirates today.

Are you meaning Dubai? (I ask only because DUB=Dublin, DXB=Dubai).

I think many will continue, as you say, from non-hub European airports, and also from the rest of the world (Middle East, Africa in particular).

You can still fly Qantas code share on Emirates, which continues what is done now. I think this is primarily about their London flight.

gsnedders

Established Member
Are you meaning Dubai? (I ask only because DUB=Dublin, DXB=Dubai).

I think many will continue, as you say, from non-hub European airports, and also from the rest of the world (Middle East, Africa in particular).

You can still fly Qantas code share on Emirates, which continues what is done now. I think this is primarily about their London flight.

Blergh. Yes, DXB. Sorry, I was talking about DUB elsewhere at the same time as writing that!

OwlMan

Established Member
CityJet are withdrawing the London City - Antwerp route from 27 October.
http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws.english/News/1.3058690The Irish airline CityJet will halt services between Antwerp Airport and London City as from 27 October. This was confirmed by CEO Marcel Buelens of the Antwerp airport. It is said that the link is not profitable enough, but Antwerp hopes to find other players to continue the service.
Antwerp and London City have enjoyed an air link since 1993, first by VLM, later by CityJet. "After VLM had gone bankrupt in June last year, CityJet had to lease a different aeroplane, which turned out to be much more expensive than the VLM aircraft. Together with a decline in passenger numbers, they argued that it was no longer economically sustainable for them", Marcel Buelens explains. The harsh competition from the Eurostar rail link is another important factor.
Buelens confirmed that the Antwerp airport in Deurne is talking with two other companies to take over the service as from 29 October. "We hope to find a solution by 15 September. We need to make sure we don't lose passengers because they found an alternative."

ld0595

Ah yes thanks for reminding me. I knew Manchester had been discussed, but I had forgotten there were more recent talks in getting Edinburgh and Dublin connected. It had gone quiet for a while, but I think Cathay announcing Dublin is going to prompt Hainan into action. When Cathay announced Manchester, Hainan weren't far behind.

Enjoy the whale. Neither segment is horrific in length, but combined they are a bit of a marathon. Enjoy the wine and the view!

I'm pretty sure Cathay has been in Manchester for years. I recall my parents telling me they flew between there and Amsterdam (on a 747!) with them back in the mid 90s - but I could be wrong here.

Yeah, I chose this route specifically so I could get out and have a stretch in Bangkok. When I flew outbound to Shanghai earlier this year, it was 2 x 8 hour ish segments back to back and I managed to survive that! So I'm sure this'll go fine provided I can sleep!

atillathehunn

Established Member
I'm pretty sure Cathay has been in Manchester for years. I recall my parents telling me they flew between there and Amsterdam (on a 747!) with them back in the mid 90s - but I could be wrong here.

Yeah, I chose this route specifically so I could get out and have a stretch in Bangkok. When I flew outbound to Shanghai earlier this year, it was 2 x 8 hour ish segments back to back and I managed to survive that! So I'm sure this'll go fine provided I can sleep!

Well you're right and a bit wrong. Cathay were at Manchester for years, then they went away for about a decade, and now they're back.

You're right, it used to be a jumbo and would stop on the continent somewhere. Family members were regular on it for years and it would alternate between Paris, Amsterdam, sometimes somewhere in Germany as well I think.

They then went away - I think the date is actually in this thread somewhere when we were talking about it coming back - and restored about 2 years ago with a direct non-stop on a 777. It's now gone down to an A350 but frequency increased has either happened or been planned. I understand it will go daily.

Edit: goes daily in December.

The whalejet on Emirates has pretty good seating, and you should manage some reasonable sleep I would think. I actually wish the leg from western Europe to the middle east was a bit longer - the overnight segments are very short for much sleep. The evening bank of departures from western Europe often have the lights on for three hours out of the approx 6.5 hour flight. With my job now featuring a lot of travel to East Africa, I usually try and get on a direct Europe - Addis/Nairobi flight with a local connection.

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
CityJet are withdrawing the London City - Antwerp route from 27 October.

I think that route is cursed, no one has really been able to make it work. Eurostar are beginning their through service to Amsterdam soon, which I understand calls at Antwerp, and will probably kill off the remaining traffic.

Wigan,United Kingdon and Kingswood Nsw, Australia
There are two versions of what i said about Brisbane to Heathrow one released by the Queensland Government and the other released by Qantas the Qantas one is a challenge to make a plane the Government one is the route will open by 2021

Also heard Qantas will be bringing back none religious food and Halal and Kosher will be removed from Melbourne Brisbane and Sydney Flights. it's a very contentious issue in Australia for the flag carrier to be so anti the views of their nation

Also the new Dreamliners half of them will be based in Brisbane along with the fitting of the new seats/wifi for the older fleets one is a boeing type and the other is a airbus type

atillathehunn

Established Member
There are two versions of what i said about Brisbane to Heathrow one released by the Queensland Government and the other released by Qantas the Qantas one is a challenge to make a plane the Government one is the route will open by 2021

Also heard Qantas will be bringing back none religious food and Halal and Kosher will be removed from Melbourne Brisbane and Sydney Flights. it's a very contentious issue in Australia for the flag carrier to be so anti the views of their nation

Also the new Dreamliners half of them will be based in Brisbane along with the fitting of the new seats/wifi for the older fleets one is a boeing type and the other is a airbus type

I think I would trust the airline more than the government - after all, they are the ones with or without the planes and therefore in a much better position to say what will or will not be flying where.

Fill us in: the Australian people don't want the halal/kosher meal or they do? Not sure how to read the situation.

fowler9

Established Member
I think I would trust the airline more than the government - after all, they are the ones with or without the planes and therefore in a much better position to say what will or will not be flying where.

Fill us in: the Australian people don't want the halal/kosher meal or they do? Not sure how to read the situation.

I would guess it is more of a business decision rather than the Australian people. If it is costing more for Qantas to provide Halal and Kosher meals than they would loose to the ME3 airlines providing them then why bother. Still a bit surprised myself if this is the actual case. It can't be that hard to provide appropriate meals if booked in advance.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I would guess it is more of a business decision rather than the Australian people. If it is costing more for Qantas to provide Halal and Kosher meals than they would loose to the ME3 airlines providing them then why bother. Still a bit surprised myself if this is the actual case. It can't be that hard to provide appropriate meals if booked in advance.

Suspect quite a lot of it is to do with the non-provision of bacon with breakfast...

Fowler, one for you: Etihad are sending the the A340 on the evening rotation between September 20 and 23.

fowler9

Established Member
Suspect quite a lot of it is to do with the non-provision of bacon with breakfast...

Fowler, one for you: Etihad are sending the the A340 on the evening rotation between September 20 and 23.

Ah cheers mate. I will try and get along for a photo. I would try and get on one but I'm off to Croatia the week after next and that is me spent up.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Ah cheers mate. I will try and get along for a photo. I would try and get on one but I'm off to Croatia the week after next and that is me spent up.

Hope you get a decent shot. I would imagine the fleet is on its last legs at the moment, and I would think is probably their last visit.

Enjoy Croatia!

atillathehunn

Established Member
Cheers mate. It is Ryanair so I am hoping it is one of the aircraft with the new interior. Not got a clue if any are based in Manchester.

Not sure if it's based there, but my last few Ryanair flights have been on new interior aircraft. Much more pleasant experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.