• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Booking a trip out to Georgia and Armenia with a colleague. Quite looking forward to it, Tbilisi looks quite incredible, and she used to live in Armenia so I'm looking forward to the natives tour.

Flying AtlasGlobal which is a Turkey-based airline. Could be an experience. Hope the food is as good as TK...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Booking a trip out to Georgia and Armenia with a colleague. Quite looking forward to it, Tbilisi looks quite incredible, and she used to live in Armenia so I'm looking forward to the natives tour.

Flying AtlasGlobal which is a Turkey-based airline. Could be an experience. Hope the food is as good as TK...

It isn't sadly!

But they do have 2+2 business class I think. I've seen a couple of trip reports and I'm still tempted to fly them myself thanks to attractive one way J fares.

fowler9

Established Member

Let me know your Armenia plans and how it goes. Armenia is top of my list for next year.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Let me know your Armenia plans and how it goes. Armenia is top of my list for next year.

I'll keep you up to date and if there's any handy tips or tricks she can impart then all the better. Looking forward to this, it will be my first leisure trip in quite a while.

Expecting the food to be that good was probably a hiding to nothing. I will look at the tickets as two one ways and find out what the J class fare is.

Elwyn

I am just back from 2 weeks in Georgia and would strongly recommend it. There is some tourism but it's not overwhelmed yet. Locals very friendly, many speak English. Low crime rate even in Tibilisi. Excellent food. Healthy food too. Lot sod fresh veg and sleds. Good beer and red wine. (Their white is more of an acquired taste). Very good value for money.

You will enjoy it.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I am just back from 2 weeks in Georgia and would strongly recommend it. There is some tourism but it's not overwhelmed yet. Locals very friendly, many speak English. Low crime rate even in Tibilisi. Excellent food. Healthy food too. Lot sod fresh veg and sleds. Good beer and red wine. (Their white is more of an acquired taste). Very good value for money.

You will enjoy it.

That's really useful feedback, Elwyn, thanks.

If you have any tips or tricks for getting around/air BnB/reasonable hotels please do let me know!

We were discussing how much we missed Turkish food (we've both lived there before) and decided we needed to go back to that part of the world to take some more. Georgia does look incredible.

fowler9

Established Member
I'll keep you up to date and if there's any handy tips or tricks she can impart then all the better. Looking forward to this, it will be my first leisure trip in quite a while.

Expecting the food to be that good was probably a hiding to nothing. I will look at the tickets as two one ways and find out what the J class fare is.

Cheers mate, that would be much appreciated. I'm looking forward to my first leisure trip since last November next week, not like me to be stuck at home for so long after the last few years travels.

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
Cheers mate, that would be much appreciated. I'm looking forward to my first leisure trip since last November next week, not like me to be stuck at home for so long after the last few years travels.

It's good to get away on a pure leisure break. I think most of my recent travels have been business with some light relief built in.

How long are you in Croatia mate?

ian959

I had heard a rumour that the Perth non-stop to London would have a tag on to somewhere. Melbourne was a fairly likely candidate.

QF1 out of Singapore to London is likely to be completely rammed. Not just Sydney originating traffic, but connections from Melbourne, Brisbane, Adelaide etc. Can't imagine that flight will go out empty much.

Not a rumour - the flight will be MEL-PER-LHR as already confirmed. Operationally however the flight is rumoured to be LAX-MEL-PER-LHR. Whether it can be booked LAX-MEL-PER is still to be decided/confirmed.

Rerouting QF1 back through SIN rather than DXB is a reflection of what passengers want. There is little traffic SYD-DXB and the ongoing problems of delays at DXB due to congestion is not helping matters. SIN is just as good a place for connections and a much more frequented destination for Australians.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Not a rumour - the flight will be MEL-PER-LHR as already confirmed. Operationally however the flight is rumoured to be LAX-MEL-PER-LHR. Whether it can be booked LAX-MEL-PER is still to be decided/confirmed.

Rerouting QF1 back through SIN rather than DXB is a reflection of what passengers want. There is little traffic SYD-DXB and the ongoing problems of delays at DXB due to congestion is not helping matters. SIN is just as good a place for connections and a much more frequented destination for Australians.

I know, I posted confirmation that it would be MEL-PER-LHR... The rumour I was referring to was about 12 months ago when they announced PER-LHR non-stop. At that point it was not confirmed there would be a Melbourne tag, just a speculation.

The ULR 787s might be slated for those routes, though the enormous risk of IRROPS on operating that as a through route is likely to be a non-starter.

I think rather presciently, the move via SIN now offers Qantas passengers F into Asia. Normally only J. I would think the ability to increase LF on SIN-LHR by chanelling some MEL and BNE passengers through SIN to LHR helps. The fact that most passengers were carrying on to London was covered earlier and definitely helps.

ian959

The changes to Melbourne show they are pretty keen on improving the Asian market. From my reading of the situation they are keeping the codeshares on the Emirates routes, so west-bound passengers travelling to non-European destinations could still go via Dubai.

Changhi is also a significantly better airport than DXB, possibly factors into it.

With BA having such a heavy presence in Singapore, perhaps a joint venture is in the offing?? They used to have one, and both are OneWorld.

Note the the alliance between Emirates and Qantas is up for renewal in March 2018 and despite now dropping DXB from its schedules at that time, Qantas has applied to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) for a renewal for a further 5 years. Quite how they expect to get it renewed when there seems to be no obvious benefit to passengers is a bit of a mystery.

The original reasoning behind the alliance was to principally to give Qantas passengers access to Emirates connections through Dubai. Since that reason has now gone...

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
Note the the alliance between Emirates and Qantas is up for renewal in March 2018 and despite now dropping DXB from its schedules at that time, Qantas has applied to the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) for a renewal for a further 5 years. Quite how they expect to get it renewed when there seems to be no obvious benefit to passengers is a bit of a mystery.

The original reasoning behind the alliance was to principally to give Qantas passengers access to Emirates connections through Dubai. Since that reason has now gone...

Except it hasn't. Emirates flights from Oz will be codeshared with Qantas. It will allow Emirates and Qantas to push Continental European destinations from Oz via Dubai while Qantas concentrates on UK traffic, either via Singapore or the direct flight from Perth. In practice the sheer volume of UK traffic is such that some of it will inevitably be flown on Emirates all the way.

The One World angle is interesting as Qantas has appeared willing to ignore it for European traffic. But it does offer the option of routeing via Cathay/Hong Kong and even Finnair/Helsinki, as well as "bridgeheads" at the likes of Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur.

As for Cathay's Hong Kong-Manchester route that is actually long standing but was killed off by the GFC. It was always Cathay's intention to return when conditions were right: it would seem the economics of the A350 made the decision to resume a little bit easier.

atillathehunn

Established Member

They appear to want to renew the EK/QF alliance. There will still be QF passengers through Dubai, albeit on codeshares. Don't forget Middle East and Africa passengers will still likely go through Dubai. I know it's easy to have a European perspective on this, but there are others in the world! 54 countries on Africa - many developing fast - and the GCC and Levant also increasingly important markets. The huge Indian population in Oz is going to likely to continue via DXB

atillathehunn

Established Member
Except it hasn't. Emirates flights from Oz will be codeshared with Qantas. It will allow Emirates and Qantas to push Continental European destinations from Oz via Dubai while Qantas concentrates on UK traffic, either via Singapore or the direct flight from Perth. In practice the sheer volume of UK traffic is such that some of it will inevitably be flown on Emirates all the way.

The One World angle is interesting as Qantas has appeared willing to ignore it for European traffic. But it does offer the option of routeing via Cathay/Hong Kong and even Finnair/Helsinki, as well as "bridgeheads" at the likes of Bangkok or Kuala Lumpur.

As for Cathay's Hong Kong-Manchester route that is actually long standing but was killed off by the GFC. It was always Cathay's intention to return when conditions were right: it would seem the economics of the A350 made the decision to resume a little bit easier.

There used to be a BA/QF joint venture via OW, but defunct for a number of years. I thought perhaps a reviving of this, but nothing so far. I do understand that QF and AA (also a OW member) have something of a partnership on feed to the flights from West Coast America to East Coast Oz.

gsnedders

Established Member

In reality I expect most of the UK traffic from the Midlands north would fly via Emirates rather than Qantas (as you're looking at a connecting flight to LHR then the layover in SIN v. a single connection in DXB), given flights from Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, and Glasgow.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
In reality I expect most of the UK traffic from the Midlands north would fly via Emirates rather than Qantas (as you're looking at a connecting flight to LHR then the layover in SIN v. a single connection in DXB), given flights from Manchester, Birmingham, Newcastle, and Glasgow.

I make no apologies for lifting this link from an aviation forum which shows that London is massively more important than any other European destination from Oz: see the chart at the bottom of the article.

https://blueswandaily.com/qantas-lo...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

You're right that non-London traffic is already tending to bypass Heathrow but the Heathrow volume is so great that I doubt that Qantas, with or without BA, could handle it all. Hence my comment about some going via Emirates through Dubai. But there will also be times when Emirates has enough capacity to accept Qantas codeshare traffic via Heathrow and then BA to other UK and Irish destinations, especially places without Emirates service like Belfast or Cork.

gsnedders

Established Member
I make no apologies for lifting this link from an aviation forum which shows that London is massively more important than any other European destination from Oz: see the chart at the bottom of the article.

https://blueswandaily.com/qantas-lo...al&utm_source=twitter.com&utm_campaign=buffer

You're right that non-London traffic is already tending to bypass Heathrow but the Heathrow volume is so great that I doubt that Qantas, with or without BA, could handle it all. Hence my comment about some going via Emirates through Dubai. But there will also be times when Emirates has enough capacity to accept Qantas codeshare traffic via Heathrow and then BA to other UK and Irish destinations, especially places without Emirates service like Belfast or Cork.

Oh, I'm not questioning that it absolutely makes sense for Qantas, I'm just pointing out that it's focusing on the London market more than it is the UK market!

atillathehunn

Established Member
Oh, I'm not questioning that it absolutely makes sense for Qantas, I'm just pointing out that it's focusing on the London market more than it is the UK market!

Qantas is focusing on the London market because it can, it's large enough.

Manchester was the third biggest Europe-Oz originator at 200,000 passengers and is very well served with one stop options Down Under and QF pushing passengers onto a BA shuttle and then to Singapore isn't going to happen.

From reading the various articles, I don't think any of the QF codes on EK metal are going anywhere. I'm sure EK will continue to mop up some from London (given they fly to Gatwick as well).

TheAlbanach_

Flew on Ryanair to Eindhoven yesterday, a relatively new route from Edinburgh. Plane was quite quiet and was a new 737 with the Sky interior. First time flying Ryanair in about 5 years and was shocked... more legroom than BA! Plane was really nice, crew were friendly and plane was on time. Coffee was really good too, same as BA. First time flying on a plane with the new Sky interior and I really like it, so much brighter than the original.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Talking of Ryanair, I am wondering if their new cabin baggage policy from November is going to mess up anyone's plans...?

gsnedders

Established Member
Talking of Ryanair, I am wondering if their new cabin baggage policy from November is going to mess up anyone's plans...?

This appears to be:

From November 1st we will be implementing our new cabin bags policy. Only customers who have purchased Priority Boarding, Plus, Flexi Plus, or Family Plus will be permitted to bring two cabin bags on board.

All other customers will only be permitted to bring one smaller carry-on bag on board the aircraft, while their second larger wheelie bag must be placed in the hold at the boarding gate (free of charge).

Can someone explain to me what the advantage of doing this at the gate is versus doing it at the check in desks? Seems like doing it at the gate is going to be a massive bottleneck on the two staff typically there, especially with the bags then needing to get taken the hold (and not a small number as currently)…

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
You seem to have missed the bit about extra charges as a result... Oh yes, also there is a reduction in the size of allowable cabin baggage to basically the size of a laptop bag if you don't pay up...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ryanair-cuts-carry-on-luggage-allowance/

Millions of Ryanair passengers will be forced to put their weekend bags and small suitcases in the hold from November 1 – unless they cough up £10 per return flight for priority boarding.

In what amounts to the the biggest overhaul of its baggage policy in four years, the low-cost airline said only those who pay the fee will be allowed to take a larger 10kg bag, measuring up to 55cm x 40cm x 20cm, into the cabin. Everyone else will be able to keep a small handbag or laptop bag (35cm x 20cm x 20cm), but will have their bigger cases taken from them at the gate and placed in the hold (free of charge).

On busy flights Ryanair has for some time prevented the last 40 or 50 passengers from taking wheelie suitcases on board. Knowing this, customers will head to the gate as early as possible, and start queueing, to avoid being parted from their luggage – and enduring a wait at baggage reclaim. Others will travel with a backpack or holdall rather than a wheelie case. Now the only way to avoid having a carry-on bag taken away will be to pay the priority boarding fee of £5 per person per flight. It will mean passengers who regularly use standard weekend bags and small suitcases as hand luggage will have to reconsider their luggage options.

gsnedders

Established Member
You seem to have missed the bit about extra charges as a result... Oh yes, also there is a reduction in the size of allowable cabin baggage to basically the size of a laptop bag if you don't pay up...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/news/ryanair-cuts-carry-on-luggage-allowance/

The Ryanair phrasing is a bit confusing but does imply it, and it being gate checked is really confusing, but it basically means everyone has a free luggage allowance of one small bag and one big one, the paying up just affects whether you take the big one into the cabin, no? I guess the problem is for those travelling with *only* a big bag, as they now can't take anything into the cabin unless they're in the categories that are allowed two bags in the cabin (which are essentially pay or be a family).

That said, I haven't been on Ryanair in years so I don't know how many people take just one large bag nowadays! (When I was last on Ryanair, it was still strictly one-bag-only.)

[Edit: I guess also it's limited release, being gate checked, which is potentially significant v. making people with large bags go to check-in desks.]

Last edited:

Richard_B

Won't this just ruin turnaround times? Parting 20+ passengers of their luggage at the gate seems like a great way to delay every flight by at least 15 minutes.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Won't this just ruin turnaround times? Parting 20+ passengers of their luggage at the gate seems like a great way to delay every flight by at least 15 minutes.

I expect they'll do this before they get to the aircraft door. It'll be a gate agent going through a queue.

ooo

But then people putting their bags in the overhead lockers also holds the plane up especially as others can't get past

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Hornet

That said, I haven't been on Ryanair in years so I don't know how many people take just one large bag nowadays! (When I was last on Ryanair, it was still strictly one-bag-only.)

[Edit: I guess also it's limited release, being gate checked, which is potentially significant v. making people with large bags go to check-in desks.]

People have been extracting the urine over this for quite some time. Some of the bags being taken on board have been way over limit. I'm happy to see something finally being done on this. Don't blame Ryanair, blame the morons who think they have a right to take everything, including the kitchen sink, into the cabin. If they had followed the rules then Ryanair would not be doing this.

gsnedders

Established Member
People have been extracting the urine over this for quite some time. Some of the bags being taken on board have been way over limit. I'm happy to see something finally being done on this. Don't blame Ryanair, blame the morons who think they have a right to take everything, including the kitchen sink, into the cabin. If they had followed the rules then Ryanair would not be doing this.

Even if they followed the rules, they'd still be doing this: you fit 118 bags and 189 passengers, AFAIK, in Ryanair's 737-800s. That's... never going to work, if everyone brings a large bag, even if you follow the rules.

When the new 737 MAXs enter service, it'll go up to 178 bags and 200 passengers, so still not enough, but closer! And realistically, I expect most flights will have at least 22 people flying without a large cabin bag.

Last edited:

ivanhoe

Fully agree with this. On a recent flight to Malaga, some of these so called laptop cases were nothing short of suitcases.Wouldnt mind like, but one is supposed to go under the seat in front of you and some people were just putting them both in OH lockers.

Status
Not open for further replies.