• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

atillathehunn

Established Member
No idea if it is too long - but remember the onward flight can only be on Norweigan or Westjet currently.

At the moment yes it's only Norwegian or Westjet. However, that does give an increasingly good route network. DY long haul out of LGW now includes places like Buenos Aires, Singapore, New York, LA and some Caribbean destinations. Westjet is of course pretty Canada focused.

BA announced Toronto from Gatwick a few weeks ago: did they smell something on the wind?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Jetlagged

No idea if it is too long - but remember the onward flight can only be on Norweigan or Westjet currently.

Got that thanks. Our last trip was Easy LIS/LGW and then DY to San Juan. The next will possibly also be on DY, so I'm watching this with interest,

atillathehunn

Established Member
Got that thanks. Our last trip was Easy LIS/LGW and then DY to San Juan. The next will possibly also be on DY, so I'm watching this with interest,

DY just added a lot of new destinations.

Any forum member already booked a trip? I would be curious to see how the process runs in reality.

When I looked on the easyjet website to try their new feature, I found Amsterdam - Singapore with easyJet/Norwegian for €800 with a fairly lengthy layover in Gatwick. Same dates on Skyscanner yielded BA for €500 return and other airlines between there and €800. This included Singapore Airlines. Name me the rational consumer who will pick €800 easyJet/Norwegian flight over similarly priced BA/Singapore Airlines flights.

Richard_B

Any forum member already booked a trip? I would be curious to see how the process runs in reality.

When I looked on the easyjet website to try their new feature, I found Amsterdam - Singapore with easyJet/Norwegian for €800 with a fairly lengthy layover in Gatwick. Same dates on Skyscanner yielded BA for €500 return and other airlines between there and €800. This included Singapore Airlines. Name me the rational consumer who will pick €800 easyJet/Norwegian flight over similarly priced BA/Singapore Airlines flights.

What would the Easy/Norweigan combo been if you had booked each airlines legs as separate return legs on their respective websites though? The high "low cost" price could just be because of their individual legs are selling well so are high priced now.

Richard_B

Reported on sky news tonight that Ryanair are cancelling 50-60 flights a day for the next 6 weeks or so to clear 'a backlog of staff leave'.

http://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-cancelling-40-to-50-flights-a-day-for-six-weeks-11037187

Unsurprisingly customers are not happy, and some are claiming to be stranded abroad due to their flights having been cancelled.

Cheers

Ben

Gee that's bad. I hope everyone finds out they can claim compensation and hammer Ryanair on it.

Jetlagged

I was unable to replicate what you had done on the Easy website so started researching this GatwickConnects. I turned up the answer to my own question about flying in and out of Gatwick on different days and answers to many other questions that hadn't been asked. The end result? Would I use this service? Not a chance thanks.

I do not consider £27.50 per trip (reductions for returns and multiple pax on one booking) value for money, just to be given a glass of wine/soft drink and use of Fast Track. Any other benefits that you think you will get, go out of the window when you read the small print. For example, they make a selling point that you do not have to carry your luggage between terminals if using both. That's fine if you arrive at the airport between the GatwickConnects operating hours of 06.00 and 18.00. Outside of those hours you are expected to carry your own luggage to a desk on the second floor of South Terminal.

The biggest no no for me though was the multitude of get out clauses hidden in the T & C's, that mean they can deny the onward flight and duty of care guarantee for a multitude of reasons. To be honest, I'm struggling to think of one reason for a delayed inbound flight that they haven't got covered! Any suggestions welcomed. You can read their reasons and all other T & C's here.

Now, who mentioned irrational customers?! :)

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Reported on sky news tonight that Ryanair are cancelling 50-60 flights a day for the next 6 weeks or so to clear 'a backlog of staff leave'.

http://news.sky.com/story/ryanair-cancelling-40-to-50-flights-a-day-for-six-weeks-11037187

Unsurprisingly customers are not happy, and some are claiming to be stranded abroad due to their flights having been cancelled.

Cheers

Ben

I don't care how cheap their flights are I never have and never will travel with this cowboy outfit.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I don't care how cheap their flights are I never have and never will travel with this cowboy outfit.

If I'm honest, even I'm considering removing them from their spot of Favourite Airline for me. I need to re-read their new cabin baggage policy, but I'm not overly impressed and I read about it after booking a flight from Edinburgh to Stansted with them. I still need to add my hold luggage to that, sadly couldn't afford to add it at the time so I'm expecting it to cost me a small fortune now.

With this current farce, unless it ends soon I definitely will be finding a new favourite airline. Not a great amount of choice here...

This morning I'm deciding between doing the Spa Valley Railway diesel gala/beer festival and going for a spin to Brussels for beers and trains. Using BA from the mighty Heathrow (still required) and back, yes it means Airbus both ways but I still need Brussels International airport so it's not a bad thing. Hmm, that's just made it much more interesting...

gsnedders

Established Member
Wow, some of the grimmest food I've had in a long time on a plane yesterday on BA5 LHR-NRT departing yesterday, and in WTP. :(

On the upside, cabin crew were lovely and I do really quite like the seats, even if I rarely get to sit in them.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Wow, some of the grimmest food I've had in a long time on a plane yesterday on BA5 LHR-NRT departing yesterday, and in WTP. :(

On the upside, cabin crew were lovely and I do really quite like the seats, even if I rarely get to sit in them.

BA has really gone down the toilet. The only redeeming features are a good loyalty programme and the staff, who are usually very good.

I've vowed never to book with them again.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I didn't think much of BA itself last year when I did Vienna, but when I did Cityflyer last month (it feels so very much longer ago than that!) I loved the service.

I'm still not impressed that they've done nothing about my EU261 claim, so it's been escalated on the Resolver thing. If I get no joy soon I'll be ringing them to make sure they've actually got the claim going on. Not even an email along the lines of 'We've received your claim and are processing it' from BA yet!

I've now seen some of the trams and Metro stuff in both Budapest and Sofia, a shame I don't have quite enough funds to book either trip without using the magic plastic, although if my claim had been paid out I'd have had it booked!

berneyarms

Established Member

That's a bit harsh being honest.

Without Ryanair's low fare model, we would all still be paying through the nose for air travel in Europe, and many more people wouldn't be flying at all.

While undoubtedly the airline on this occasion has made a major cock-up over staff annual leave, I'm not sure exactly makes them "a cowboy outfit"?

Darandio

Established Member
While undoubtedly the airline on this occasion has made a major cock-up over staff annual leave, I'm not sure exactly makes them "a cowboy outfit"?

Suppose it depends on your definition of it.

If leaving people stranded abroad at less than 24 hours notice by a poxy email because they haven't got their house in order is not the work of a bunch of cowboys, I don't know what is.

atillathehunn

Established Member

The words of someone who has never been with a real cowboy outfit.

Ryanair's safety record is excellent, their on time performance is generally good, and they've been in business for an astonishingly long time and transformed air travel across Europe. They've also really shaped up in the last year or so. This is a major cock-up, no argument. For the duration from now until Christmas I've shifted my flying to other airlines, but I'll be back when they've got their house in order. I'd never go as far to say they're my favourite airline (because I don't have one), but they're certainly not too bad anymore. Based on their recent performance on flights I've been on, Flybe are falling into the shower of numpties category than Ryanair.

Real cowboy outfits are a long and notable list of airlines which have folded before opening, sold tickets on planes they don't own or lease, pilots with fake documentation. The list goes on.

berneyarms

Established Member
Suppose it depends on your definition of it.

If leaving people stranded abroad at less than 24 hours notice by a poxy email because they haven't got their house in order is not the work of a bunch of cowboys, I don't know what is.

I don't disagree that this a complete hames and does indeed beggar belief.

But Ryanair have been around for 32 years now, and to describe them in that manner implies that this is typical of them, which frankly it isn't.

fowler9

Established Member
Just got back from a week long trip to Croatia (Actually called Hrvatska by Croatians). Flew from Manchester T1 to Dubrovnik with Easyjet, we had a bit of a delay before departure due to weather and got a cockpit visit. Captain Phil and First Officer were very friendly and informative, the main audience was kids but they were more than welcoming to me and a mate.

The flight back was from Split. Outside the airport there were really nice views and the airport looked really modern. Inside looked really modern aswell but as soon as we got through security there were people sat on the floor if there was space, it was absolutely rammed and very hot. I was sweating at half nine at night in there. No smoking area, two tiny cafes selling very expensive fun sized cans of beer, not much fun. Plus the flight was half an hour late.

On arrival at Manchester we had to wait on the plane 30 mins for a bus to take us back to T1. Once in there immigration was a farce as it often seems to be.

Also had a trip from Dubrovnik to Mostar in Bosnia by bus, it involved 6 border crossings one of which was far too exciting, lasted an hour and included us all getting kicked off the bus while they did a full search. The driver was shaking when he got back in and we didn't have a clue what was going on. He did tell us what happened but I guess that would be even more off topic. Ha ha. Mostar was beautiful, very interesting and worth the effort.

Last edited:

WestCoast

Established Member
To be fair and while it's not the best news (I'm wondering if my upcoming booking to Rome will be affected), it's not like Ryanair are alone in this sort of issue. Passengers on Lufthansa and British Airways both have suffered loads of short-notice disruption due to crew strikes in recent years. Not the same issue, but has a similar affect on passengers.

In my personal bad book is probably Vueling, who seem to be a complete shambles as they love announcing routes and then cancelling them! I booked Luton to Zurich with them in 2016, which was cancelled a week prior, and I booked Amsterdam to Manchester with them this year, also cancelled. My only return flights with them were delayed by four-five hours each way. On the plus side, they've paid me a fair amount of EU compensation!

atillathehunn

Established Member
To be fair and while it's not the best news (I'm wondering if my upcoming booking to Rome will be affected), it's not like Ryanair are alone in this sort of issue. Passengers on Lufthansa and British Airways both have suffered loads of short-notice disruption due to crew strikes in recent years. Not the same issue, but has a similar affect on passengers.

In my personal bad book is probably Vueling, who seem to be a complete shambles as they love announcing routes and then cancelling them! I booked Luton to Zurich with them in 2016, which was cancelled a week prior, and I booked Amsterdam to Manchester with them this year, also cancelled. My only return flights with them were delayed by four-five hours each way. On the plus side, they've paid me a fair amount of EU compensation!

Vueling are a right shower - most summers they announce more routes than they can possibly operate with the number of frames they have.

I seem to recall one recent summer of discontent out of Barcelona with widespread cancellations. I would imagine they're only in business thanks to IAG money.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Ryanair are a proper airline that own their planes. Saying they're cowboys is harsh.

But they've squeezed pilots and cabin crew for so hard and so long that this was inevitable. They were predicting it on PPRuNE 6 months ago. Pilots only put up with Ryanair's shoddy employment practices until they got a better offer; Norwegian have poached 200+ pilots from them.

It's an issue that has been brewing all summer, Ryanair needed to get the pain out of the way after the school holidays but before Christmas.

atillathehunn

Established Member
If I'm honest, even I'm considering removing them from their spot of Favourite Airline for me. I need to re-read their new cabin baggage policy, but I'm not overly impressed and I read about it after booking a flight from Edinburgh to Stansted with them. I still need to add my hold luggage to that, sadly couldn't afford to add it at the time so I'm expecting it to cost me a small fortune now.

With this current farce, unless it ends soon I definitely will be finding a new favourite airline. Not a great amount of choice here...

This morning I'm deciding between doing the Spa Valley Railway diesel gala/beer festival and going for a spin to Brussels for beers and trains. Using BA from the mighty Heathrow (still required) and back, yes it means Airbus both ways but I still need Brussels International airport so it's not a bad thing. Hmm, that's just made it much more interesting...

Hmm, Heathrow is mighty in the sense that we mighty get away within the next hour if we're lucky....

Brussels is a fairly decent airport actually, the coffee is pretty good. Though potentially lots of walking.

The personal attachment to airlines is fascinating. They're flying buses with the often added benefit of an open bar.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The words of someone who has never been with a real cowboy outfit.
Real cowboy outfits are a long and notable list of airlines which have folded before opening, sold tickets on planes they don't own or lease, pilots with fake documentation. The list goes on.

How about:

Taking a booking for a return trip 4 months in advance for a Saturday - Saturday half term family holiday trip (total £900).

Then 24hrs after booking mysteriously deciding to 'cancel' the flights and offering alternative flights on the Fridays "for no extra charge" (despite being around £250 cheaper when I booked).

Then taking a month to process the refund.

Hence my initial Ryanair boycott. Not so much a cowboy, more highwayman.

Last edited:

gsnedders

Established Member
BA has really gone down the toilet. The only redeeming features are a good loyalty programme and the staff, who are usually very good.

I've vowed never to book with them again.

I've never found them any noticeably better/worse than KLM, who are the next most practical alternative compared with BA out of GLA (in terms of number of flights to hub from GLA, and hence average connection time). Lufthansa and Air France are both occasionally doable (esp. if you also consider EDI), but again I don't find there to be that much difference in service.

telstarbox

Established Member
They've definitely changed their seat allocation algorithm recently. Travelled in March, didn't pay to select seats, and got two adjacent seats. Just checked in for an upcoming flight, allocated seats 15 rows apart (with plenty of pairs available), had to pay extra for adjacent seats.

Easyjet still allocate adjacent seats if you don't pay to select them.

ModernRailways

Established Member
Quick question, but how early do you all get to the Airport? I have a flight at 7:30am from Newcastle next week, my first Metro will get me there for 6:50am. I'll be checked in online so will be going straight to security with hand luggage only. It usually takes me 5 minutes from Metro to Security, then a further 5-10 minutes to get through Security. So 15 minutes roughly.
Would this be sufficient time do you think or should I get a taxi?

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Quick question, but how early do you all get to the Airport? I have a flight at 7:30am from Newcastle next week, my first Metro will get me there for 6:50am. I'll be checked in online so will be going straight to security with hand luggage only. It usually takes me 5 minutes from Metro to Security, then a further 5-10 minutes to get through Security. So 15 minutes roughly.

I would aim to get there a little earlier than that - security can be busy first thing in the morning, even at a regional airport like NCL.

You should always plan not to get the train which gets you there just in time, but in fact the train one or two before that.

As it is, there are two main risks with your plan - one, that the trains are delayed or do not run, and second, an unfavourable security line.

atillathehunn

Established Member

Taxi. The metro has to be only about 5 minutes late and you're scuppered. With the security situation as it as at the moment, I really wouldn't contemplate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.