• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Aviation Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jetlagged

Hi guys,

Sorry if it seemed like a stupid question, but I'm not quite used to this stuff. There was something similar for the tube, but that was way far from accurate!!

Not stupid at all. Stupid is the person that never asks questions, as they will learn nothing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

atillathehunn

Established Member
They've taken quite a few features behind a paywall, albeit a small one.

The accuracy is reasonably good, though when it loses coverage it just projects where it thinks it went. So if you have your air atlas out and are colouring in routes, might not be the best (tongue in cheek).

This is mostly over the oceans and central Africa.

thejuggler

If you have an ipad try the free NATS app.

Its still in development, but a good alternative to flightradar and the 3d view is particularly innovative.

Last edited:

gsnedders

Established Member
British Airways announced another strike for two weeks from the 19th. https://stv.tv/news/uk/1392879-british-airways-cabin-crew-announce-two-week-strike-in-july/

I have booked return flights Edinburgh to Brussels. Any advice regarding this? Really nervous now... may just book a Eurostar. [emoji14]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've flown on a number of BA flights around the times of strikes and never had any issue. They normally wet lease a number of aircraft (I've seen Thompson and Thomas Cook flights at T5 as a result!) to cover some, but some cancellations are inevitable. I'd just risk it unless your trip is very time-sensitive, honestly.

fowler9

Established Member
Hey guys, :)

I just found this site named flightradar24.

https://www.flightradar24.com/BAW287/dedbce8

Can someone tell me if this site is accurate, or near accurate? It would be interesting to know what sort of aircraft flies over my house!

Yeah mate, it is pretty good. Generally quite accurate. I paid for the full version on my phone and it keeps me entertained. Only a couple of quid. You get 3D pilot views (Simulated using what looks like Google Maps) and you have a feature where you can point the camera at the sky and it tells you what you are looking at.

atillathehunn

Established Member
I've flown on a number of BA flights around the times of strikes and never had any issue. They normally wet lease a number of aircraft (I've seen Thompson and Thomas Cook flights at T5 as a result!) to cover some, but some cancellations are inevitable. I'd just risk it unless your trip is very time-sensitive, honestly.

ISTR BA were quoting that during the strike previous to the current one that everybody got to their destination same day.

This time they have hired 9 QR A320s to run BA services, along with some HiFly A340s (inc on the run to EDI!).

I would have confidence that you get there. Of course it's irritating, potentially.

I believe in some cases they have 'pooled' certain flights on a route together into one larger plane. Might delay you.

fowler9

Established Member
Hi guys,

Sorry if it seemed like a stupid question, but I'm not quite used to this stuff. There was something similar for the tube, but that was way far from accurate!!

Apologies, I appear to have repeated what others have said already but again, for literally a couple of quid in a one off payment it is really good fun of you are in to aviation. The aircraft location does rely on people picking up signals from a transponder so it can be a little bit jumpy on occasions but it is easy enough to see what is flying over,it even shows some military flights. I believe there was a little bit of controversy about it showing a Rivet Joint aircraft on a surveillance flight.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Norwegian have announced another 2 new long haul routes from Gatwick today.

Chicago and Austin (Texas) will be starting in March 2018, 4 weekly & 3 weekly respectively. The routes will be flown by the carriers 787 Dreamliner aircraft.

Link below for anyone whose interested.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/artic...-low-cost-gatwick-austin-and-chicago-services

Cheers

Ben

More good news for connectivity, and hopefully prices!

Chicago I understand. Though Austin has gone from being a kind of nothing, to having multiple flights per week to/from London

Crawley Ben

More good news for connectivity, and hopefully prices!

Chicago I understand. Though Austin has gone from being a kind of nothing, to having multiple flights per week to/from London

BA are the only carrier to operate between the UK & Austin, so can't help but think this is DY taking aim at them?

BA have also announced a temporary route from Gatwick - Nuremburg operating between Novemeber & Jan 2018. Paphos will operate 3x weekly during the winter from Gatwick too as well. Tirana, Marrakech, Turin, Geneva and Vienna will also see added frequencies from LGW as well.

The link below covers what I've written above, and also relates to some additional frequencies from Heathrow.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/282773/ba-announces-year-round-heathrow-tenerife-service

Cheers

Ben

Last edited:

atillathehunn

Established Member
BA are the only carrier to operate between the UK & Austin, so can't help but think this is DY taking aim at them?

BA have also announced a temporary route from Gatwick - Nuremburg operating between Novemeber & Jan 2018. Paphos will operate 3x weekly during the winter from Gatwick too as well. Tirana, Marrakech, Turin, Geneva and Vienna will also see added frequencies from LGW as well.

The link below covers what I've written above, and also relates to some additional frequencies from Heathrow.

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/282773/ba-announces-year-round-heathrow-tenerife-service

Cheers

Ben

I suspect you are correct. Perhaps an indication that BA's Austin traffic is leisure and highly elastic?

The new routes are interesting. Tenerife from Heathrow is interesting - premium slots on a bucket and spade route.

Nuremburg is growing - Ryanair launched a daily service somewhat out of the blue from Manchester. The others make sense too, though as Gatwick services.

TheAlbanach_

Great advice thank you! Just going to wait and see what happens. Worst comes to worst can easily get to London anyway. Wouldn't mind a trip on a Qatar A320 though!

atillathehunn

Established Member
Great advice thank you! Just going to wait and see what happens. Worst comes to worst can easily get to London anyway. Wouldn't mind a trip on a Qatar A320 though!

With sanctions now on Qatar and strikes looming, I can't see the A320s on loan going very fast back home.

The A320s are nice, but they are sometimes a little tedious on the Doha - East Africa routes.
With the tensions in the Middle East I've been booking other routes. My trip to West Africa in September I've booked with TAP, trip to Uganda is with Rwandair and return from Kenya with Kenya airways.

Tim R-T-C

Established Member
I suspect you are correct. Perhaps an indication that BA's Austin traffic is leisure and highly elastic?

Flew back in 2014, LHR to Austin, by far the quietest trans-Atlantic flight I have ever been on. Good little airport to fly in to, although a good few hours drive from anywhere else.

atillathehunn

Established Member
Flew back in 2014, LHR to Austin, by far the quietest trans-Atlantic flight I have ever been on. Good little airport to fly in to, although a good few hours drive from anywhere else.

Though interestingly it seems that BA191 (the LHR-AUS) flight is run by a 787-9, which offers First Class. Perhaps I was wrong.

OwlMan

Established Member
United have announced the withdrawal of their Birmingham flights. This means that there are no more flights from BHM to the USA except a weekly holiday orientated flight to Orlando

TheAlbanach_

United have announced the withdrawal of their Birmingham flights. This means that there are no more flights from BHM to the USA except a weekly holiday orientated flight to Orlando

I also believe they're only running Glasgow - New York flights during the summer months now too. Possibly people avoiding them due to the recent bad publicity?

berneyarms

Established Member
United have also announced their withdrawal from the Shannon-New York route for the months of December to February.

That's in addition to having already cancelled the Belfast route all together.

gsnedders

Established Member
I also believe they're only running Glasgow - New York flights during the summer months now too. Possibly people avoiding them due to the recent bad publicity?

Also Delta have launched Glasgow–JFK a few months back, which probably hasn't helped.

Crawley Ben

United has rates it's down to poor financial returns on said routes.

Maybe Norwegian *might* be tempted to start a New York service from Birmingham or Glasgow? Not sure there would be enough demand for a daily 787 service though even at lower prices than what I guess United currently charge? That said, not sure the new 737's the airline are getting would have the range required if they were to be potentially used either?

Cheers

Ben

gsnedders

Established Member
United has rates it's down to poor financial returns on said routes.

Maybe Norwegian *might* be tempted to start a New York service from Birmingham or Glasgow? Not sure there would be enough demand for a daily 787 service though even at lower prices than what I guess United currently charge? That said, not sure the new 737's the airline are getting would have the range required if they were to be potentially used either?

Cheers

Ben

The 737 MAX has the range; the question is with what payload. :)

Norwegian were reported to be considering expanding the number of routes from Edinburgh. Both SFO and New York were mentioned; I think the former is out of the question even payload-limited for 737s, but pretty sure the latter is reasonably doable. (Bear in mind they launched the Edinburgh to Providence service with the old 737 NG aircraft, and that's payload limited for now but they're still doing it!)

fowler9

Established Member
An Easyjet Liverpool to Jersey flight yesterday afternoon had a bird strike. I wouldn't normally mention this as it landed completely safely but if you go on flightradar24 and look at the route it took returning to Liverpool it made a massive c*ck and balls over Merseyside playing it back on the website. Give it a go. It was the 14:50 departure.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
An Easyjet Liverpool to Jersey flight yesterday afternoon had a bird strike. I wouldn't normally mention this as it landed completely safely but if you go on flightradar24 and look at the route it took returning to Liverpool it made a massive c*ck and balls over Merseyside playing it back on the website. Give it a go. It was the 14:50 departure.

Yes, the animation is somewhat sketchy, and it's the same on Planefinder. But the flightpath trace seems reasonable: a 180 to return to the airport followed by a semi-cloverleaf to allow two fly-bys before landing. The transponder data seemed to get stuck so maybe a primary external sensor, a pitot probably, got damaged and the fly-bys were to check for other damage.

Butts

Veteran Member
Had an interesting experience coming back from Luxembourg this Morning on BA417 .

It was operated by Qatar on behalf of BA (cabin crew strike ?)

Their Airbus 320 has a different layout from BA, Easyjet or any other I've ever been on.

The Club/Business Class has only two "Armchairs" each side for rows 1-5 unlike the BA version that just has the middle seat blocked off. The BC seats really looked luxurious and were cloth covered as were the cattle seats.

Rows 6 and 7 had disappeared and I was in row 8 which was behind BC and like a bulkhead seat with bassinet provision.

As an added bonus there was a free cabin service in economy. Only water or orange juice with a yoghurt and alpen bar - better than nothing !! Weirdly no tea or coffee !!

gsnedders

Established Member
Had an interesting experience coming back from Luxembourg this Morning on BA417 .

It was operated by Qatar on behalf of BA (cabin crew strike ?)

Their Airbus 320 has a different layout from BA, Easyjet or any other I've ever been on.

The Club/Business Class has only two "Armchairs" each side for rows 1-5 unlike the BA version that just has the middle seat blocked off. The BC seats really looked luxurious and were cloth covered as were the cattle seats.

Rows 6 and 7 had disappeared and I was in row 8 which was behind BC and like a bulkhead seat with bassinet provision.

As an added bonus there was a free cabin service in economy. Only water or orange juice with a yoghurt and alpen bar - better than nothing !! Weirdly no tea or coffee !!

This is comparable to Iberia's "Business Club" offering on A319s; I was lucky enough to end up in that on a 50 minute flight from Bilbao to Madrid a few years ago (it was cheaper than economy on the entire routing, BIO-MAD-LHR-GLA), and they are genuinely lovely seats!

Butts

Veteran Member
This is comparable to Iberia's "Business Club" offering on A319s; I was lucky enough to end up in that on a 50 minute flight from Bilbao to Madrid a few years ago (it was cheaper than economy on the entire routing, BIO-MAD-LHR-GLA), and they are genuinely lovely seats!

Certainly looked a lot more welcoming than the "normal" BA ones. Wonder what sort of grub they got as the curtain was closed. :p

Crawley Ben

Been some problems at Gatwick today after a Air Canada Rouge Boeing 767 burst a tyre on take off. After burning off fuel, the flight landed safely, and the main runway was then shut so it could be checked over etc. Believe flights were diverted to Luton, Southend, Cardiff, and Heathrow (as reported elsewhere). Some flights also cancelled - I'm just glad I'm away on A/L in Cornwall this week and not on duty at Gatwick as it looked pretty dam busy from pics I've seen.

Cheers

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.