• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Back on the platform

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Technically, that livery predates their use with Chiltern and was originally Wrexham & Shropshire's! The two locos pictured, 67012 and 67014, are the last two class members to still carry it, so a pairing of the two, on a TFW passenger working, is quite astonishing. The other former Wrexham & Shropshire/Chiltern locos, 67010/013 and 015 have since received DB red livery.

Thanks for that clarification. I liked the Wrexham & Shropshire but the 30 mph stretch from Aston to Stetchford and the compulsory stop at Birmingham International with the doors locked did not hel the overall journey time. The fact that until they got the DVTs they had to top and tail the trains with 67s must also have screwed up the finances. Where I used to live, I had to although 90 minuters to get to New Street Station bu sus and walking both to and from the bus during the rush hour but I could drive to Tame Bridge Parkway in nine minutes knowing the rat runs through Smethwick and West Bromwich. O)n my first trip on the W & S I managed to photgraph all 4 67s that were in grey livery.

I am lucky as I now live on the Stourbridge line so I can get Chiltern trains from my local suburban station to London.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

xotGD

Established Member
What happened with the Rhymney's do you know and why is the 2 67's on Gerald?
67014 had failed on the morning service. 67012 rescued it and was working ecs to Cardiff Canton. The evening service was a dmu.

I think I just jinxed the Rhymneys! Assorted problems with the 2 37/4s I believe.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Thanks for that clarification. I liked the Wrexham & Shropshire but the 30 mph stretch from Aston to Stetchford and the compulsory stop at Birmingham International with the doors locked did not hel the overall journey time. The fact that until they got the DVTs they had to top and tail the trains with 67s must also have screwed up the finances. Where I used to live, I had to although 90 minuters to get to New Street Station bu sus and walking both to and from the bus during the rush hour but I could drive to Tame Bridge Parkway in nine minutes knowing the rat runs through Smethwick and West Bromwich. O)n my first trip on the W & S I managed to photgraph all 4 67s that were in grey livery.

I am lucky as I now live on the Stourbridge line so I can get Chiltern trains from my local suburban station to London.
Yeah I made use of Wrexham & Shropshire's Tame Bridge Parkway stop a number of times. They're sorely missed by me: Their customer service was excellent, the full Welsh breakfast was second to none, and they operated proper trains! It has been heartening to see Chiltern's use of their inherited push-pull sets go from strength to strength since the W&S operation was wound up. Being able to catch comfortable, quiet, high quality "proper trains" from Birmingham to Banbury and London is a real boon.
67014 had failed on the morning service. 67012 rescued it and was working ecs to Cardiff Canton. The evening service was a dmu.
Ah I wondered what had led to a pair of 67s on the WAG stock. Thanks for the clarification.

The_Train

Established Member
Hey guys, sorry not been on for a few days so just catching up with the Cardiff talk. Thanks for the feedback from your trip @xotGD and to everyone else who has offered info.

I'd planned a trip to Bristol/Cardiff earlier this year which would have gone via Tamworth to take in a good HST run. I'd have to check the diagrams again but I think then that if I did a Friday I could get a HST there and back. How many of the Pacer diagrams work out of Cardiff? Am I likely to see a good chunk of the fleet in a daily outing?

It's interesting that you mention it having a heavy DBC presence @palmersears as I'd say that the majority of my required sheds are DB ones so that could be handy if I get lucky.

Mills444

Hey guys, sorry not been on for a few days so just catching up with the Cardiff talk. Thanks for the feedback from your trip @xotGD and to everyone else who has offered info.

I'd planned a trip to Bristol/Cardiff earlier this year which would have gone via Tamworth to take in a good HST run. I'd have to check the diagrams again but I think then that if I did a Friday I could get a HST there and back. How many of the Pacer diagrams work out of Cardiff? Am I likely to see a good chunk of the fleet in a daily outing?

It's interesting that you mention it having a heavy DBC presence @palmersears as I'd say that the majority of my required sheds are DB ones so that could be handy if I get lucky.
All of the pacer diagrams pass Cardiff Central and in fact a fair few of the South Wales TFW diagrams will pass through, Just remember to pop up to Queen Street to get the 153 on the Bay line

Mills444

Secondly Just to add on if you take a train to Ninian Park (a Radyr bound service) then you will pass round Canton depot which normally has a few DMU's on show and the locos for the WAG train.

The_Train

Established Member
All of the pacer diagrams pass Cardiff Central and in fact a fair few of the South Wales TFW diagrams will pass through, Just remember to pop up to Queen Street to get the 153 on the Bay line

Thanks mate. I think I'll do some research on this later to see if I can get some reasonably priced tickets sorted

Skymonster

Established Member
How many of the Pacer diagrams work out of Cardiff? Am I likely to see a good chunk of the fleet in a daily outing?

I was in Cardiff about 18 months ago and got all the Pacers bar one in a 1.5 hour evening stint. The last one was in the depot on an exam.

palmersears

Established Member
Yeah it won't take long to get all the Pacers. Couple of hours should do it. I second the trip out to Ninian Park as well to hoover up anything on Canton Depot, which often includes a couple of Colas locos near the mainline as well.

You've got a decent chance of getting a good chunk of DBC 66s on the various steel workings in and out of Margam and the coal from Cwmbargoed, and there's a couple of 60s that work the oil tanks as well. That aside it's a couple of Freightliner and GBRf 66s, and possibly a Colas 70 on the cement tanks. Vast majority is red sheds though.

xotGD

Established Member

I had an HST back from Bristol Parkway on Friday. 17.30ish departure. However, this means leaving Cardiff before all of the loco-hauled passenger action. In my case, I just wanted to get home, otherwise I would have done the 67 to Newport.

Mills444

I had an HST back from Bristol Parkway on Friday. 17.30ish departure. However, this means leaving Cardiff before all of the loco-hauled passenger action. In my case, I just wanted to get home, otherwise I would have done the 67 to Newport.
That sound like S51 from Plymouth which is a booked HST I belive

Mills444

Just having a look on RTT I have worked out a rough plan using tomorrows times.
0750 Tamworth-BPW 0925
0945 BPW to CDF 1021
Or
0750 TAM-BTM 0947
0955 to CDF 1043 (ex Pompy probably rammed and a turbo)
or
1024 to CDF 1122 (HST short set)

RTN
1656 CDF- BPW 1731
1738 BPW-? (XC HST no Tamworth call)

Or
1600 CDF-BTM 1652
Or
CDF 1630- BTM 1718

1730 BTM-? (Same HST as above)

Which would give roughly 5 hours in Cardiff and about 40 minutes at Temple Meads.

Last edited:

The_Train

Established Member
Just having a look on RTT I have worked out a rough plan using tomorrows times.
0750 Tamworth-BPW 0925
0945 BPW to CDF 1021
Or
0750 TAM-BTM 0947
0955 to CDF 1043 (ex Pompy probably rammed and a turbo)
or
1024 to CDF 1122 (HST short set)

RTN
1656 CDF- BPW 1731
1738 BPW-? (XC HST no Tamworth call)

Or
1600 CDF-BTM 1652
Or
CDF 1630- BTM 1718

1730 BTM-? (Same HST as above)

Which would give roughly 5 hours in Cardiff and about 40 minutes at Temple Meads.

You didn't have to go to that trouble mate, but I definitely appreciate it. Now you've mentioned the short sets, it reminded me that I'd planned that in my original plan. Was going to be a day of HSTs along with time at Cardiff and Bristol (and my return would have been via a change at New Street with the HST working not calling at Tamworth) but as with all great plans......

I will spend some time tomorrow playing around with split tickets to see if I can get down there for a decent price

The_Train

Established Member
@palmersears, I have 8 of the ranger vouchers left to use on the Northern network along with a complimentary return ticket from delay repay. I visited the NRM last week (I do intend to write a short report on that) but thought I'd pick your brains about what to do or where to go with the rest?

Was thinking a trip along the Settle-Carlisle and maybe a day riding Pacers? Any better suggestions as it's your neck of the woods? :)

xotGD

Established Member
@palmersears, I have 8 of the ranger vouchers left to use on the Northern network along with a complimentary return ticket from delay repay. I visited the NRM last week (I do intend to write a short report on that) but thought I'd pick your brains about what to do or where to go with the rest?

Was thinking a trip along the Settle-Carlisle and maybe a day riding Pacers? Any better suggestions as it's your neck of the woods? :)
I would wait until the spring to use a voucher to do a round trip of the S&C and the Cumbrian Coast. Lovely scenery throughout, and a few 68s and 88s to see at Sellafield.

palmersears

Established Member
Yeah I'd leave the scenic lines, such as the S&C or the Cumbrian coast, until the spring when the weather is better. I was up in the Lakes this weekend and it's already a bit bleak up that way, particularly now the clocks have gone back.

As for alternative suggestions, it depends on what your targets are for sight and whether there's anything else that takes your fancy in terms of lines. If you want some Pacer action I can recommend a trip from Piccadilly to Sheffield on the Hope Valley stoppers, you get a decent bit of speed up between Chinley, Edale and Hope, you could then change there and head over to Doncaster now the Azumas are coming into service at a greater pace, as well as the 331s. Always some other quirky stuff passing through as well.

Alternatively you could give Liverpool another spin, take a 195 over the CLC and then it's a fiver for a saveaway ticket and a day hunting Merseyrail units. You can finish up in Southport and take the Northern stopper to Victoria if you want a bit of variety, but it's not the most scenic of lines. Alternatively you could go Northern to Chester from Stockport, then do Merseyrail from there. Good chance of getting a Pacer as well.

DavidGrain

Established Member
If you do go to Sheffield as one of the suggested journeys, have you done the TramTrains?. I have seen them in operation but not yet ridden on them.

xotGD

Established Member
Pacer across the Hope Valley, Pacer on the Sheff - Leeds all shacks, Pacer on the Leeds - Southport. If you are a glutton for punishment!

Or Sheff - Hudds via Penistone on a 144 for the stopper to Leeds via Bradford (possible Pacer) as far as Brighouse to pick up the Southport...

Skymonster

Established Member
If you want some Pacer action I can recommend a trip from Piccadilly to Sheffield on the Hope Valley stoppers, you get a decent bit of speed up between Chinley, Edale and Hope...

I gather the Pacers are becoming a rather endangered species on the Manchester - Sheffield turns with 150s far more likely now.

palmersears

Established Member
I gather the Pacers are becoming a rather endangered species on the Manchester - Sheffield turns with 150s far more likely now.
Anecdotally there's a few more 150s turned up, bit it's still a decent Pacer playground most of the time.

The_Train

Established Member
Yeah I'd leave the scenic lines, such as the S&C or the Cumbrian coast, until the spring when the weather is better. I was up in the Lakes this weekend and it's already a bit bleak up that way, particularly now the clocks have gone back.

As for alternative suggestions, it depends on what your targets are for sight and whether there's anything else that takes your fancy in terms of lines. If you want some Pacer action I can recommend a trip from Piccadilly to Sheffield on the Hope Valley stoppers, you get a decent bit of speed up between Chinley, Edale and Hope, you could then change there and head over to Doncaster now the Azumas are coming into service at a greater pace, as well as the 331s. Always some other quirky stuff passing through as well.

Alternatively you could give Liverpool another spin, take a 195 over the CLC and then it's a fiver for a saveaway ticket and a day hunting Merseyrail units. You can finish up in Southport and take the Northern stopper to Victoria if you want a bit of variety, but it's not the most scenic of lines. Alternatively you could go Northern to Chester from Stockport, then do Merseyrail from there. Good chance of getting a Pacer as well.

Liverpool is on my list of places to revisit and I'd not considered it as part of these day rangers so that's a great shout, thanks!

If you do go to Sheffield as one of the suggested journeys, have you done the TramTrains?. I have seen them in operation but not yet ridden on them.

To be honest they don't massively interest me at the minute. A bit like standard trams, if I see them I'll log them but I don't go in search of them........not yet anyway :E

Pacer across the Hope Valley, Pacer on the Sheff - Leeds all shacks, Pacer on the Leeds - Southport. If you are a glutton for punishment!

Or Sheff - Hudds via Penistone on a 144 for the stopper to Leeds via Bradford (possible Pacer) as far as Brighouse to pick up the Southport...

Good to know they are still getting about. Are some of these routes solely pacers or is it, as I expect, that I'll just have to get into the area and try and find them as opposed to being able to plan a day?

Yeah, my most recent trips between Manchester and Sheffield have yielded 150/2s although my last return from Sheffield did throw up a pair of the legendary machines

Skymonster

Established Member
Still plenty of Pacers passing through Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria. You could do worse than get a £7 GM Rail Ranger, just hang around either station and jump on whatever is offered.

Tea&Biscuits

I'm new to this but I spotted something which was out of the ordinary at my local station (Newquay) a week ago, maybe a bit longer, I was passing the station and saw the green GWR HST turning up for the morning 10:13 service to Par, really not sure why it was there or being used for that service.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I'm new to this but I spotted something which was out of the ordinary at my local station (Newquay) a week ago, maybe a bit longer, I was passing the station and saw the green GWR HST turning up for the morning 10:13 service to Par, really not sure why it was there or being used for that service.
If I recall correctly, it was deputising for the failure of the usual Newquay branch 150.

Tea&Biscuits

If I recall correctly, it was deputising for the failure of the usual Newquay branch 150.

Interesting thank you, I got quite excited seeing it there, like seeing an old friend out the blue, if I didn't have to work later that day I would've just jumped on for a ride.

The_Train

Established Member
Still plenty of Pacers passing through Manchester Piccadilly and Manchester Victoria. You could do worse than get a £7 GM Rail Ranger, just hang around either station and jump on whatever is offered.

Yeah I think I'll just start at Manchester, jump on the first pacer I see and see where the day takes me. Will probably be better that way than trying to plan a day.

And the GM Rail Ranger is great but with these vouchers I've got I can get a £10 Northern Day Ranger which allows travel anywhere on their network. Only downside is that I have to get to Crewe or Stoke to enter Northern land (I really think the Picc-Stoke stopper should be extended to Stafford just for me :E) so I have to factor this cost on top of the tenner but still a fair old deal - providing Northern is having a good day

Techniquest

Veteran Member
And if you go to Liverpool on that ranger you could go all the way from Crewe too, yes it's a long journey at over 2 hours but I did the whole run in one go last week on a 319 and loved it! Some epic thrash in multiple places and it was a shame when it was over!

Don't forget there's 68s out of Liverpool too, the 1256 and 1356 out of Lime Street are currently booked 68s. First stop Lea Green and the MK5s are awesome.

I really must get on and do the trip report today...

xotGD

Established Member
I see that Mr Train has been fudging 66s over on the TOPS Requests thread ;)

Hope you had a good day on the rails!

Status
Not open for further replies.