• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

The future of Barlaston / Norton Bridge / Wedgwood railway stations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Surely, if the east chord is reversible, stopping services could use it to serve the station in both directions?

But only by crossing over the up fast on the level, and the whole purpose of spending £millions on a bypass and flyover was to remove that very conflict to allow more services to run through the area...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

thenorthern

Established Member
For inter-city connections Stoke-on-Trent is quite well served as it has 3 trains per hour to London, 5 to Manchester as well as regular trains to the south coast.

Inside the city though its not very well served as there is only one main station and 2 unstaffed halts served hourly by the semi-rural Crewe to Derby Line. Also the main part of the city (Hanley) hasn't got any rail connection.

If Wedgwood or Balaston does reopen though I think they would struggle to compete with the bus service as at most it would be served hourly on a service that wouldn't take you to the city center.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
If Wedgwood or Balaston does reopen though I think they would struggle to compete with the bus service as at most it would be served hourly on a service that wouldn't take you to the city center.

I think this is one of the reasons the locals aren't particularly vocal about the rail service returning. Chances are, there'd be no bus service if the trains returned (no one is prepared to pay for them if LM don't!) as most people are elderly and therefore free, and wantvto go to the City Centre (Hanley) the current arrangements actually suit them better!

The number of people getting on/off the bus service actually at Stoke station is very small, which implies the rail service isn't being missed, but the bus service is preferred.

thenorthern

Established Member
I think this is one of the reasons the locals aren't particularly vocal about the rail service returning. Chances are, there'd be no bus service if the trains returned (no one is prepared to pay for them if LM don't!) as most people are elderly and therefore free, and wantvto go to the City Centre (Hanley) the current arrangements actually suit them better!

The number of people getting on/off the bus service actually at Stoke station is very small, which implies the rail service isn't being missed, but the bus service is preferred.

I think the current service levels are better than they were in 2004 when the train services were withdrawn.

Stoke-on-Trent is a very car and bus dependent city, there was talk for a tram system but I don't think it will happen.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The problem with Stoke is that it is (a bit like MK or similar) multi-centric, being made up of old Stoke, Hanley, Newcastle-under-Lyme etc. Multi-centric places are very difficult to serve economically by public transport.

The problem with Stoke is that it is (a bit like MK or similar) multi-centric, being made up of old Stoke, Hanley, Newcastle-under-Lyme etc. Multi-centric places are very difficult to serve economically by public transport.

Etruria would be better reopening

thenorthern

Established Member

Problem as well with Stoke-on-Trent is the city itself is a Unitary Authority where as Newcastle-under-Lyme and Kidsgrove are within Staffordshire County Council meaning the two areas have separate transport arrangements and funding.

For a while I used to get the train to Longport and then the bus up to Burslem and I found that my concessionary travel pass issued by Staffordshire County Council only worked after 09:30 in Stoke-on-Trent but all day in Staffordshire County Council's area. So in other words I found if I got the bus in the morning from Longport station's bus stop I had to pay but if I walked 50 meters to the other side of the D-Link road I didn't have to pay as I was in Newcastle-under-Lyme despite catching the same bus at an earlier stop.

Does anyone know if there are any old timetables available online for when services used to call at all of these stations?

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
For inter-city connections Stoke-on-Trent is quite well served as it has 3 trains per hour to London, 5 to Manchester as well as regular trains to the south coast.

Inside the city though its not very well served as there is only one main station and 2 unstaffed halts served hourly by the semi-rural Crewe to Derby Line. Also the main part of the city (Hanley) hasn't got any rail connection.

But perhaps reopening Barlaston might attract passengers going to Stafford, Wolverhampton & Birmingham ?

Deafdoggie

Established Member
No, but I believe it was a Class 153 from Crewe (?) to Stafford running roughly every 2 hours, operated by Central Trains.

It was just a Stoke-Stafford shuttle. Used North end of platform 6 at Stafford, and South end of Platform 1 at Stoke. To this day both those platforms still carry North and south distinctions, but are unused since this service stopped.

Platform 6 South at Stafford, briefly, had the Rugely/Hednesford train when that ran through to Stafford, but platform 6 as a whole is now largely unused. Although the signs still say North and South on just platform 6

Platform 1 at Stoke has no North/South platform designated services any more, but the signs still have North at one end, and South at the other.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Interestingly, but slightly OT, Watford Jn has a north/south split in signage, but I'm not sure what it was ever used for. Probably just "First Class is at the south end".

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
I saw a poster at Dudley Port this afternoon notifying the formal closure consultation for Norton Bridge. To "only" close Norton Bridge suggests that the others remain under review.

The 'others' are priced options in the forthcoming London Midland franchise process. It would be sensible to await the outcome of this before proposing closure.

Or to put it another way, the investigations by the bidders into the passenger demand / costs / practicalities of serving Barlaston and/or Wedgwood would serve as good, recent evidence to support their closure shortly after the bidder has been announced.

I feel sorry for the residents of Norton bridge who, should the closure go ahead, will lose their local bus service shortly afterwards I suspect. As is the case elsewhere, Staffordshire County Council are looking to remove subsidised bus services. Without LM support a greater cost will fall upon the county council at a time when budgets are being reduced.

James H

Consultation on the closure of Norton Bridge:
https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/norton-bridge-station-closure

The Department for Transport has carried out an assessment in accordance with the Railway Closures Guidance on whether the reinstatement of train services at Norton Bridge station represents value for money. We have reviewed the costs and the benefits of reinstating the station for train services and have concluded that this is neither an appropriate nor responsible use of resources. We therefore propose to close Norton Bridge station on or after 15 October 2017. Once the closure process has been completed, funding for the rail replacement bus will be withdrawn.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Buried within the Norton Bridge closure consultation they also reveal that if proposals are not forthcoming for services at the other two stations they may close one or both of them too:

A decision on the future of these stations will be made following receipt of bids for the West Midlands franchise and any proposal to close one or both stations will be subject to a separate consultation process

furnessvale

Established Member
Buried within the Norton Bridge closure consultation they also reveal that if proposals are not forthcoming for services at the other two stations they may close one or both of them too:

The 101 bus from Stafford to Hanley provides an excellent service but unfortunately for Barlaston and Wedgwood, it serves locations such as Tittensor and Trentham instead.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
The 101 bus from Stafford to Hanley provides an excellent service but unfortunately for Barlaston and Wedgwood, it serves locations such as Tittensor and Trentham instead.

The number of people visiting Trentham Monkey Forest is far greater than the number of people at Barlaston and Wedgwood combined! Also, of course, the timing is too tight to go round Wedgwood and Barlaston, and therefore it would need one extra bus, and two extra drivers for the cycle. This can't be justified.

furnessvale

Established Member
The number of people visiting Trentham Monkey Forest is far greater than the number of people at Barlaston and Wedgwood combined! Also, of course, the timing is too tight to go round Wedgwood and Barlaston, and therefore it would need one extra bus, and two extra drivers for the cycle. This can't be justified.

True. I was not disputing this fact, but because Barlaston and Wedgwood would no longer be served it could have an effect on any closure decision.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
True. I was not disputing this fact, but because Barlaston and Wedgwood would no longer be served it could have an effect on any closure decision.

I suspect Barlaston would have a bus service if the station were to close. Probably not as good as now, but a service nevertheless. If the station were to remain open, and trains restored, I suspect the bus service would go.

furnessvale

Established Member
I suspect Barlaston would have a bus service if the station were to close. Probably not as good as now, but a service nevertheless. If the station were to remain open, and trains restored, I suspect the bus service would go.

Having looked at local maps, following closure of Barlaston and Wedgwood, and withdrawal of the current rail replacement buses, I feel a diversion of the current 101 route north of Tittensor to the east onto the old road would not be too much of an imposition.

It would at least serve those two locations from the "end" of the village roads concerned.

MK Tom

Established Member
What service did Norton Bridge have before the bridge went?

Polesworth and Etruria should probably be considered along with these stations as they also suffered similar fates at the same time.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Polesworth and Etruria should probably be considered along with these stations as they also suffered similar fates at the same time.

Etruria has already gone through formal closure proceedings, no?

Polesworth needs reopening and serving. There's little excuse not to, really - it doesn't need another footbridge, it just needs a path creating up to the road bridge and the area marked for pedestrians (look on Google Maps) moving to the station side from the offside.

thenorthern

Established Member
I might write to the DfT telling them not to close Norton Bridge just be be one of those awkward people who stops it from closing. :D

Etruria had an almost hourly service with some gaps in the day between Manchester Airport and places in the far East Midlands such as Grimsby Town, Lincoln Central and Skegness. There was also a limited I think 5 trains each way per day local service to Manchester. Just before closure however the Central Trains service was withdrawn leaving only at the time I think 3 trains per day each way to Manchester.

Polesworth used to have a two hourly (I think) service from Stafford to Rugby/Nuneaton/Coventry (via Bedworth).

Class 170101

Established Member
Polesworth needs reopening and serving. There's little excuse not to, really - it doesn't need another footbridge, it just needs a path creating up to the road bridge and the area marked for pedestrians (look on Google Maps) moving to the station side from the offside.

Two problems with Polesworth I can see even assuming teh path as suggested is built, which seems a cheap and reasonable option I might add.

One the town itself seems rather linear with the Station on the north / north eastern side of it. Its not therefore near the centre.

Could he existing hourly timetable cope with an additonal Polesworth call or would it impinge on capacity elsewhere?

Status
Not open for further replies.