• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Baroness Thatcher has died

Margaret Thatcher: Good or bad for the UK?

• Good

Votes: 35 29.4%
  • Bad

Votes: 71 59.7%
  • Don't know/don't care

Votes: 13 10.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tibbs

Really? Do you really think that with so many people like you demanding to know how much was spent, that nobody will find out and publish the information?

Somebody will, but I doubt it'll be the TPA.

I was reading in the Financial Times a few months ago that the US arm of Tesco operations was on the way out - it has seemed inevitable for a long time now.

Having worked for a company involved with the Tesco US debacle, it was a disaster pretty much from the off. I'm amazed they hung on this long.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SS4

Established Member
Will be interesting to see the next figures in the poll, mainly to see if Cameron's plot worked

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's over now. Life goes on.

A fancy funeral was planned since 2008 and now it's taken place. We'll no doubt find out the true cost in the coming weeks/months but most people won't care!

Eagle

Established Member
Will be interesting to see the next figures in the poll, mainly to see if Cameron's plot worked

According to this it's been over a year since the last poll showed a Tory lead; polls have been pretty steady at a 10-point Labour lead since. (There was a brief period between December 2011 and March 2012 when Labour and the Conservatives were about equal, seemingly triggered by Cameron vetoing the EU fiscal compact. Any Tory gains were then wiped out by the following budget.)

HST Power

Established Member
Is there something wrong with me if I start feeling sorry for the Chancellor? :p Because when I saw him in tears today, my heart when out to him!

On a serious note, I thought the coverage of the funeral was excellent. It was a remarkable send off for who was, in my opinion, a remarkable lady.

Oswyntail

Established Member
Please explain what you mean by "Cameron's Plot". Do you refer to the recall of Parliament? Or the style of funeral? Either act was defensible and supported (and opposed) in all parties, and, it could be argued, were simply doing the decent thing. Or do you mean something else? I am constantly amazed and baffled by the conspiracy theories that seem to drive political opinion in some quarters

Butts

Veteran Member
It's over now. Life goes on.

A fancy funeral was planned since 2008 and now it's taken place. We'll no doubt find out the true cost in the coming weeks/months but most people won't care!

Just watching the News, quite a good turnout for Maggie , and a few protesters as well in London.

As for those people in South Yorkshire with the effigy on the bonfire....:idea:

What they really need to do is put together a group of ordinary voters from both the above and let them argue it out. That would be interesting to hear, a "non-spun" debate.

HST Power

Established Member
As for those people in South Yorkshire with the effigy on the bonfire....:

I heard about that, can we throw them on the bonfire please? <D

I wish I'd gone to see the funeral now. After all these protests and celebrations it was nice to see people coming out to show their support for Mrs Thatcher, drowning out the monotonous chants of the protests in the process.

Then again, I suppose the media faked all the photographs of people in tears and photoshopped the images of the crowds, because 'they won't say anything bad about a dead person.'

Established Member
To be fair, that was a good likeness with the Goldthorpe effigy. Beats the recent poor attempts on the Lewes Bonfire darn sarf.

They've never been as good as when they burnt Anthea Turner on the Lewes bommy :P

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I heard about that, can we throw them on the bonfire please? <D

I wish I'd gone to see the funeral now. After all these protests and celebrations it was nice to see people coming out to show their support for Mrs Thatcher, drowning out the monotonous chants of the protests in the process.

Then again, I suppose the media faked all the photographs of people in tears and photoshopped the images of the crowds, because 'they won't say anything bad about a dead person.'

of course - i forgot we must all worship at the alter of the sainted Margret of Finchley. It was all for our own good and those hurt in the process were merely eggs that had to broken to create the omelette of a greater conservative super state. :roll:

I am glad she is gone and I hope her type never returns. I really cant express my disgust for her, her acolytes or the blind morons who worship her without being banned from this site.

Today was simply a valediction of her awful policies and an attempt to present them as being acceptable to the majority of the country. To many of us they are not. Many of us have not forgotten, will never forget nor will we ever forgive.

(and if the Tory types STILL dont understand and/or acknowledge why she was hatred, especially after the last week, they never will. )

Butts

Veteran Member
To be fair, that was a good likeness with the Goldthorpe effigy. Beats the recent poor attempts on the Lewes Bonfire darn sarf.

They've never been as good as when they burnt Anthea Turner on the Lewes bommy :P

What did she do to warrant such action ?

SS4

Established Member
Please explain what you mean by "Cameron's Plot". Do you refer to the recall of Parliament? Or the style of funeral? Either act was defensible and supported (and opposed) in all parties, and, it could be argued, were simply doing the decent thing. Or do you mean something else? I am constantly amazed and baffled by the conspiracy theories that seem to drive political opinion in some quarters

His plot to exploit her death for political ratings. Humour me though, how was it defensible to recall Parliament to wax lyrical about her?

I have never denied that there are people who are sad at her death for a variety of genuine reasons and I don't doubt there are many who are sad she's died. The media's irresponsibility comes from only reporting photographs of people in tears. Lying by omission is just as serious as lying by changing facts

Butts

Veteran Member
of course - i forgot we must all worship at the alter of the sainted Margret of Finchley. It was all for our own good and those hurt in the process were merely eggs that had to broken to create the omelette of a greater conservative super state. :roll:

I am glad she is gone and I hope her type never returns. I really cant express my disgust for her, her acolytes or the blind morons who worship her without being banned from this site.

Today was simply a valediction of her awful policies and an attempt to present them as being acceptable to the majority of the country. To many of us they are not. Many of us have not forgotten, will never forget nor will we ever forgive.

(and if the Tory types STILL dont understand and/or acknowledge why she was hatred, especially after the last week, they never will. )

Do you suspect Simon Weston would be considered a "class traitor" in Pays de Galles in reflection of the above ?

4SRKT

Established Member

One of whom called me a tw*t and openly called for my death to be notified so he could celebrate last week, The post was pulled, yet he is still posting on here. This individual gets into a right froth at the idea that anyone would be glad that Thatcher died, yet indulges in the above on a public forum.

If such a thing doesn't warrant a banning, I don't know what does.

Last edited:

SS4

Established Member
and if the Tory types STILL dont understand and/or acknowledge why she was hatred, especially after the last week, they never will.

More frustrating is their constant hiding behind "thou shalt not speak ill of the dead" which is used to shut down any criticism even of her time in office.

I'd love to know how many her policies left to die and their children who're being vilified by Cameron and Osborne.

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Didn't see the TV coverage, but saw a clip on the BBC website.

Where exactly did this bizarre and inappropriate practice of applauding a funeral cortège come from? The first time I saw this was on the coverage of Princess Diana's funeral and I had hoped it was a one off. This is just not a British thing to do.

Next I suppose we'll be having the waving of large photographs of the deceased accompanied by mass wailing and chanting as currently only happens in some of the more excitable countries. (Note use of transferred epithet).

Today it had the the ironic effect of implying that those engaging in applause as the procession passed were expressing pleasure at Maggie's passing.

Perhaps some of them were.

4SRKT

Established Member
Didn't see the TV coverage, but saw a clip on the BBC website.

Where exactly did this bizarre and inappropriate practice of applauding a funeral cortège come from? The first time I saw this was on the coverage of Princess Diana's funeral and I had hoped it was a one off. This is just not a British thing to do.

Exactly. This sort of mass emotion is revolting, whatever the occasion.

jon91

More frustrating is their constant hiding behind "thou shalt not speak ill of the dead" which is used to shut down any criticism even of her time in office.

I'd love to know how many her policies left to die and their children who're being vilified by Cameron and Osborne.

I've also noted that if you show any less than blubbering appreciation of Mrs Thatcher, some on here see it as you practically encouraging the death parties.

You know something's up when even the folk in the Buckingham palace are questioning the pomp and grandeur of the proceedings...

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Do you suspect Simon Weston would be considered a "class traitor" in Pays de Galles in reflection of the above ?

i have no idea what you are talking about.

If you are referring to the Falklands War then i support the actions taken.

The people of the islands expressed their desire, through self determination, to be British. A hostile and oppressive regime then invaded. Surely there was no choice BUT to protect (almost!) fellow British citizens from such a situation.

jon0844

Veteran Member
the blind morons who worship her without being banned from this site.

Wow. Just wow.

I have never denied that there are people who are sad at her death for a variety of genuine reasons and I don't doubt there are many who are sad she's died. The media's irresponsibility comes from only reporting photographs of people in tears. Lying by omission is just as serious as lying by changing facts

You should have watched the BBC coverage then, as they showed plenty of people that weren't crying - including various parties around the UK and people saying (on radio) that she should burn in hell etc.

But don't let the truth get in the way of a good rant! I guess I'm just a moron who hasn't been banned from this site yet - so ignore me.

Last edited:

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's a little OTT, but what about the case of one of these who called for my death and is still posting? Is that OK?

I didn't see/read that. Did you press the report button and get it removed?

DarloRich

Veteran Member
@jonmorris - i didn't say the blind morons who support her should be banned from this site, rather i would be, if i outlined using blunt industrial language, my contempt for them.

The people i class as the blind morons are those who refuse to accept or even acknowledge the consequences of the polices she, and her party, happily inflicted on millions of people.

Whilst i am sure you in the south did well and benefited from the Thatcherite "reforms" many of us in the north suffered greatly. Many of us continue to suffer, yet we are supposed to simply accept this mutely and move on.

Johnuk123

Established Member
of course - I am glad she is gone and I hope her type never returns. I really cant express my disgust for her, her acolytes or the blind morons who worship her without being banned from this site.

Calling for posters to be banned because they apparently "worship" Margaret Thatcher is rather over the top don't you think.

Status
Not open for further replies.