• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

basingstoke [BSK] to Walton on Thames [WAL] valid via Clapham Jn [CLJ]?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
Hello,

I'd like to get an insight from the ticket and routing experts on here :)

Is a Basingstoke to Walton-on-Thames, route: Any Permitted ticket valid for travel via Clapham Junction?

I had a discussion with a passenger about this and we had opposite opinions, I don't believe it is valid as it seems like Doubling back to me, you change at Woking or take the stopping service which does run from Basingstoke and calls at Walton-on-Thames.

The Super Off Peak Day Single ('OPD') appears to be £12.20 between BSK and WAL. Whilst the BSK to CLJ 'OPD' costs £17.60, so I cannot justify the passenger's view as being valid.

There wasn't any revenue staff at the time, so I took the passenger to the TVM's nearby and made him pay the £5.60 reverse single CLJ to WAL, arguably this is 20p more expensive than the ticket he should have purchased, but maybe a generous gesture as he could have been liable to a PF if revenue staff were present?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Is a Basingstoke to Walton-on-Thames, route: Any Permitted ticket valid for travel via Clapham Junction?
No.

The calculation is:
Basingstoke is a Routeing Point (RP).
RPs for Walton-on-Thames are Ascot, Staines, Surbiton and Woking.
The fares check shows that the only appropriate RP for this journey is Woking.
Basingstoke - Woking is permitted by Map WX only.
So the Permitted route is Basingstoke - Farnborough Group - Woking - Walton-on-Thames.

Urban Gateline

Established Member
No.

The calculation is:
Basingstoke is a Routeing Point (RP).
RPs for Walton-on-Thames are Ascot, Staines, Surbiton and Woking.
The fares check shows that the only appropriate RP for this journey is Woking.
Basingstoke - Woking is permitted by Map WX only.
So the Permitted route is Basingstoke - Farnborough Group - Woking - Walton-on-Thames.

Thank you! This is what I thought, although I would hate to quote that information to the passenger, they'd probably tell me to eff off :lol:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thank you! This is what I thought, although I would hate to quote that information to the passenger, they'd probably tell me to eff off :lol:

I'd suggest to a similar passenger he tries entering his completely ****taking diversion into the National Rail journey planner, it will tell him straight off he needs two tickets, the price nearly doubling ought to convince him...

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I'd suggest to a similar passenger he tries entering his completely ****taking diversion into the National Rail journey planner, it will tell him straight off he needs two tickets, the price nearly doubling ought to convince him...

Good idea! And the thing is he may have gotten away with it if he just changed platforms when he got into CLJ. It was only because he came to the barriers that it came to light! He tried to claim BOJ and also that he had taken a fast train not stopping at WAL!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
It's doubling back, there are regular services operating directly, there is no easement... it's a clear case that it isn't permitted.

The Colonel

Why would you want to go well past your destination only to come back again - take twice as long as changing at Woking. I certainly wouldn't bother doing it.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Why would you want to go well past your destination only to come back again - take twice as long as changing at Woking. I certainly wouldn't bother doing it.

Because he's trying to blag his way to Clapham Jn by buying a fare to Walton?

SickyNicky

Verified Rep - FastJP

I believe the passenger was attempting to claim Break of Journey at Clapham Junction,

Matt Taylor

Established Member
What exactly is the fares check in respect of the routing guide, and why is Woking the appropriate routing point?

Brucey

What exactly is the fares check in respect of the routing guide, and why is Woking the appropriate routing point?

The routeing guide says that the fare to the destination cannot be less than the fare to a routeing point (where the destination is not itself a routeing point). As the fare to Ascot, Staines and Surbiton is higher than the fare to Walton, they cannot be used as routeing points. Woking has a lower fare, so is therefore the one to use.

John @ home

Established Member
Brucey's reply is correct.

There are some 1500+ pages in the National Routeing Guide, but you can get a pretty good idea of the process by reading just 4 of them. Read Steps 1-7 on pages 2-5 of the Instructions. Then come back here with any questions and we'll do our best to answer them.

Status
Not open for further replies.