• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Battery Powered Electrostars for Southern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Can 2x2 select 3 coach opening ? If not I'd imagine most stations platforms would be too short.
The Marshlink Revolutionary Front have plans to smash the couplings so the 4 car units cant go back to Uckfield, after 20 years of being lied to by Connex, Southern and network rail we are desperate.

Resistance is futile..... they’d take them back to Selhurst for coupler repairs.

They will be welded together into permanently formed 10-car DMUs. And the selective door opening will be disabled in the front four coaches. (I am from Croydon, near Selhurst, you know :E).

But logically you can have em all - IF ONLY the DaFT would allow a wee bit more third rail electrification :'(.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

paul1609

Established Member
Its okay if we ever get our transport and works order we will incorporate Marshlink into a Tenterden to Ashford International (via Robertsbridge) service we already have experience working on national networks!IMAG0519.png

Peter Sarf

Established Member
Gosh, I am impressed. Is that the new DRS Bi-Mode class 93 thingy. I have just come from that thread.

Southern Dvr

More related to Coronavirus perhaps then the future battery power but worthy of note that 171401 currently showing as ‘Waiting Decision’ at Selhurst Depot.

Fincra5

Established Member
More related to Coronavirus perhaps then the future battery power but worthy of note that 171401 currently showing as ‘Waiting Decision’ at Selhurst Depot.

Yeah a lot of 171/4s are being used on the Marshlink atm, for social distancing / mileage, so it's likely related to that.

paul1609

Established Member
Have you got a source for this? Have Southern/GTR given an official reason?
Has a rolling stock manufacturer/ owner come up with a 10 unit BEMU with a range of 100 miles that charges off dc third rail fast enough to not require increased units over the 171s?
Is a commuter line that has 10 car services that share 11 miles of route with the intensive Thameslink services the best place to test this concept?

Status
Not open for further replies.