• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

BBC Trainspotting Live

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Best moment was when someone tweeted there was a 390 in Wick , the expert want to say something but didnt !

He couldn't have raised his eyebrows any less subtly if he tried! The producer then very quickly cut the camera away from him...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tubeboy

Just binge watched all three episodes. Enjoyable enough. Tim Dunn was excellent, as were the others. Not sure about Peter Snow. This was a general interest programme about trains/railways, not an encyclopaedic one. The latest BBC4 'Slow tv' show, following the ride on the canal boat.

Trackman

Established Member
Just binge watched all three episodes. Enjoyable enough. Tim Dunn was excellent, as were the others. Not sure about Peter Snow. This was a general interest programme about trains/railways, not an encyclopaedic one. The latest BBC4 'Slow tv' show, following the ride on the canal boat.

Just done the same thing, a binge watch.
good stuff, don't mind about the gaffes.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I forgot about the BBC show about Indian railways! That was very good, much better then this. Was parts of that live?

Harbornite

Established Member
BBC 4 The Joy of Data - not Sex <D

Broadcast 20th July available on I Player.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Perv.....unlike me :oops:

She did a programme about the mathematics of love, oddly it didn't cover inches or the number of cells, fnarr fnarr!

According to her theory, you should not marry 37% of your dates or something like that, then after that you should start considering who to marry, this is over a period of 20 or so years.

Butts

Veteran Member
She did a programme about the mathematics of love, oddly it didn't cover inches or the number of cells, fnarr fnarr!

According to her theory, you should not marry 37% of your dates or something like that, then after that you should start considering who to marry, this is over a period of 20 or so years.

Along with Lucy Worsley she's one of the best "Posh Totty" on the screen :p

baz2277

Hi all,

I'm just catching up on the 1989 BBC Railwatch programme, and it seems to have been a much better produced programme than Trainspotting Live - any thoughts?

They had Mike Smith set up at York with some actual trains arriving and departing, then followed a driver, plus footage from the control room. We even got a breakdown of how all the departments and regions (as they were then) all worked together.

The live links were for the most part fairly seamless and all in all I felt it was a much better, tighter programme - would be great if they could recreate it for today's railway!

Harbornite

Established Member
Along with Lucy Worsley she's one of the best "Posh Totty" on the screen :p

Hannah Fry is the thinking man's crumpet, along with Rachel Riley, another favourite of mine. If only I could meet the two of them, we would make sweet, sweet equations!

Be3G

Established Member
I was looking at the Radio Times letters page earlier (for the edition in effect now, i.e. which came out last week) and I noticed that there were two very positive letters, with one negative one from someone who has more knowledge of the railways. Which just goes to prove the theory that the programme wasn't aimed at the users of this forum with their vast technical knowledge: it was aimed at people who don't know much about the subject, and were taken in by the enthusiasm of the on-screen presenting.

Tubeboy

I was looking at the Radio Times letters page earlier (for the edition in effect now, i.e. which came out last week) and I noticed that there were two very positive letters, with one negative one from someone who has more knowledge of the railways. Which just goes to prove the theory that the programme wasn't aimed at the users of this forum with their vast technical knowledge: it was aimed at people who don't know much about the subject, and were taken in by the enthusiasm of the on-screen presenting.

Exactly.

bicbasher

Established Member
And Dr Suzannah Lipscomb MA, M.St., D.Phil.(Oxon), FRHistS

BBC Four have plenty of female experts for their shows. Hannah Fry, Janina Ramirez, Kate Williams, Susannah Lipscomb and Alice Roberts are those that I've watched.

Going back to the 1989 Railwatch show. Mike Smith said it was the worst show he ever worked on.

fowler9

Established Member
Yeah, the programme was never meant to be like a Railscene DVD. It was called Trainspotting Live, I think we can all glean from the name that it wasn't going to be an in depth study of Paxman Valentas or cab rides in Class 50's.

It was an entertaining programme and I think it did what it was intended to do perhaps.

Interesting the way they used the trainspotting angle to spice things up with a bit of audience participation. This perhaps thinned out the content for me a little. BBC's "Railwatch" is still the gold standard for a fast moving 'live' day by day rail doc.

Will be nice to see the nest episode with the 125 though.
I wrote to the BBC after the Railwatch programme was aired and they sent me a hand written letter back on BBC headed paper what would you get back these days maybe an email ?

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I wrote to the BBC after the Railwatch programme was aired and they sent me a hand written letter back on BBC headed paper what would you get back these days maybe an email ?

Probably an email.

Out of interest, what did you say about Railwatch and what was the response ?

Probably an email.

Out of interest, what did you say about Railwatch and what was the response ?
I just asked if there would be anymore programmes i think and they sort of said nothing was planned but there could be in the future i've probably still got the letter somewhere
And Dr Suzannah Lipscomb MA, M.St., D.Phil.(Oxon), FRHistS
Think i watched a full hour documentry of her presenting and hadn't heard a word she was saying to busy looking at her lips

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I just asked if there would be anymore programmes i think and they sort of said nothing was planned but there could be in the future i've probably still got the letter somewhere
Think i watched a full hour documentry of her presenting and hadn't heard a word she was saying to busy looking at her lips

I think it might have been good for a reprise, perhaps on the tenth anniversary of the original.

They made a good team IMO.

richieb1971

Established Member
I'd rather have a program called something like "Trains weekly" and just see what was razzing about for that week. I only want to see people when -

A) A person is introducing the show
B) There is an interview with someone in the business
C) An interview with people who submitted footage that was aired - Prerecorded and edited.

I don't mind if people narrate over the top of footage. But the trains must be heard.

The stuff that Trainspotting live was weak on was

A) too much talking about stuff that rail enthusiasts would FF through.
B) too much air time given to presenters about hobbyists. How is collecting name plates, tickets and modelling anything to do with "Trainspotting live"?
C) Considering it was called Train spotting live, there wasn't many trains in it.

Just my 2 cents. But i'd rather watch a show that showed they did some investigations work before it aired. In this case it seemed like it was "what they thought we would like to see".

Obviously I'm speaking from a personal perspective and not for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.