• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford to Gatwick

Status
Not open for further replies.

stephy

On Monday I need to travel to Gatwick however I want to stop off in Tulse Hill for lunch with a friend. Is it possible I can break my journey with one single ticket? I don't need a return.

I totally forgot to borrow my boyfriend's network rail card so is there another way I could save money? I usually have a bedford to london season (monthly, although considering getting the annual - that means I can get money off other journeys right?) so haven't yet purchased a network rail card myself yet. My YP recently ran out after 10 sweet years, end of an era, although considering I turn 27 next month I did bloody well with it (all above board!)

Although maybe I should buy a network rail as I'll be travelling by train by myself again when I fly back (from Luton to bedford). We use a two together when we go away for weekends to e.g. Bath.

Advice appreciated as I HATE paying more than I should for trains!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
As an aside, the Southern mobile website is appalling and sends me in loops. I'm currently working on the redevelopment of a major charity brand's site - thinking I should branch into TOC digital...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PermitToTravel

Established Member
On Monday I need to travel to Gatwick however I want to stop off in Tulse Hill for lunch with a friend. Is it possible I can break my journey with one single ticket? I don't need a return.
Yes that would be permitted. A ticket from Bedford to Gatwick allows break-of-journey.
I totally forgot to borrow my boyfriend's network rail card so is there another way I could save money?
That is not obviously permitted.
I usually have a bedford to london season (monthly, although considering getting the annual - that means I can get money off other journeys right?)
It gives the same discount as a Network Railcard but without the minimum fare. If you have a Bedford to London season valid on Monday then you just need a London to Gatwick ticket.

Last edited:

stephy

Even the monthly seasons?
Either way, I don't have a ticket starting Mon.
So I can break my journey on the same day? More than once...?
And why cant I borrow his railcard? A network rail card isn't a photocard one.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you have a Bedford to London season valid on Monday then you just need a London to Gatwick ticket.

If you have a Bedford-London Thameslink season then an Elephant & Castle - East Croydon Anytime Single at £4.00 and an East Croydon - Gatwick Airport Anytime Single at £4.50 (Thameslink Only) would suffice.

Total £8.50

Last edited:

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
The network railcard is non-transferrable, as I think it says on the reverse. Just because it doesn't have a photo doesn't mean the T&Cs don't apply.

The season tickets Fahad refers to only provide the discounts if you buy the annual version, which will be issued as an annual gold card.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
If you've not got a season ticket for Monday then I think the best ticket will be a Bedford - Gatwick Airport off-peak day single at £28.00 (note that a day return is only 10p more expensive so you may as well buy this in case your plans cgange and you need to return by train).

If you use monthly season tickets are you aware that you can get an 'odd period' monthly so you can start it on a Monday and finish it on a Friday just over a month away.

If you get an Annual Season ticket it will be issued as a Gold Card which has additional benefits, the main one being a third off journeys in the south east (and the extended area from 2nd January). If you are considering an annual then buy it before 1st January as the prices go up on the 2nd.

island

Veteran Member
Railcards have the holder's name on them and are non-transferable. It would be a criminal offence to use another person's Railcard to obtain and travel on a discounted ticket.

stephy

Thanks all. I need to do some maths as I'm not sure yet whether to buy an annual as have 6 weeks off work next year when I will definitely be abroad/not travelling. So need to work out what makes most sense! Was maybe thinking of waiting til 19 jan as I'm only working one week before then...
Thanks all for helping.
Just to confirm I can definitely break my journey with any single ticket I might buy on the way?
So what if I go bedford to e and c, change to a tulse hill train and try and exit the station? Or do i have to exit at one of the stations on my ticket?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Ps I often get 'long' months to try and save a bit of money across the year,last year if I recall while not having an annual I was still paying a good amount less than the c.400 a month, it worked out at something like 360 a month

And sorry thought the network railcard was different, know of a couple who regularly share but in their defence they are not English and find our railway fares utterly perplexing. I know they are not doing it maliciously and neither of them has ever had any trouble with it. Similarly my bf is not English and finds it pretty disgusting that you can't buy the full set of fares from machines e.g. Can only buy anytime fares from St Pancras to Luton airport when the off peak is something like half the price. Luckily he never gets stung as I am making it my mission to know the system but honestly I do think it's ridiculous. He's from Scandinavia where they just do things better...

Last edited:

PermitToTravel

Established Member
An annual ticket costs the same as 40 weekly tickets (or 10.42 monthly tickets).
You can exit and re-enter at Tulse Hill.
You can buy off-peak tickets from ticket machines at the times they are valid - if one doesn't sell it because it thinks it's invalid at that time, you can buy them from a ticket office.

stephy

You definitely can't buy off peak tickets from St Pancras to Luton airport from machines - at off peak times.
Of course I know you can get them from the office, but many tourists assume what's on the machine is what's available.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
And sorry thought the network railcard was different, know of a couple who regularly share but in their defence they are not English and find our railway fares utterly perplexing. I know they are not doing it maliciously and neither of them has ever had any trouble with it. Similarly my bf is not English and finds it pretty disgusting that you can't buy the full set of fares from machines e.g. Can only buy anytime fares from St Pancras to Luton airport when the off peak is something like half the price. Luckily he never gets stung as I am making it my mission to know the system but honestly I do think it's ridiculous. He's from Scandinavia where they just do things better...

Anything that requires an accompanying Photocard or has the holder's name written on it surely offers a clue even if you don't know whether it is actually permitted to "borrow" it? The problems and complexity of the ticketing system offers no excuse to use a discount one is not entitled to. So make sure that you are not tempted to use your boyfriend's season ticket/Railcard, etc, as it is simply not worth it in the event that you get caught.

Whether someone is British or not also offers no excuse, as some of those people will probably find out somewhere down the line.

If the ticket machines are not selling appropriate tickets, that is a matter that needs to be taken up with the relevant train company. I am at St Pancras tomorrow. If you can tell me which ticket machines you are referring to then I am more than happy to have a look.

cjmillsnun

Established Member
Even the monthly seasons?
Either way, I don't have a ticket starting Mon.
So I can break my journey on the same day? More than once...?
And why cant I borrow his railcard? A network rail card isn't a photocard one.

It should have the owner's name on it, along with a title, i.e. Mr, Miss, Mrs or Ms.

stephy

The network railcard doesn't have a photocard and I don't recall seeing any names on it. I would never borrow something like a season ticket, I'm the one with the seaon ticket anyway not him. Anyway happy to be corrected on this matter.

The ones outside the EMT ticket office near the patisserie valerie.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
The network railcard doesn't have a photocard and I don't recall seeing any names on it. I would never borrow something like a season ticket, I'm the one with the seaon ticket anyway not him. Anyway happy to be corrected on this matter.

A Network Railcard has the holder's named printed on it.

The ones outside the EMT ticket office near the patisserie valerie.

I will have a look.

trevmonk

Could be the machines don't sell an off-peak single to Luton Airport because it doesn't exist (apart from the Super off-peak single valid for weekends and bank holidays), according to brfares.com.

If you change the destination to Luton Airport Parkway there is an off-peak single listed at £13.90 on brfares but it's only 10p cheaper than the Anytime ticket. However, this off peak ticket doesn't seem to appear anyway in the results of a booking engine search.

stephy

Last time I went I paid around 7 pounds, it was a Saturday and the ticket included the bus.

trevmonk

Last time I went I paid around 7 pounds, it was a Saturday and the ticket included the bus.

That would be the super off-peak single St Pancras - Luton Airport at £6.85 with a railcard. It should be available from the machines at St Pancras if you are travelling at the weekend but unfortunately there isn't a weekday equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.