• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bedford to London advice

EABowden

Hi all

Trying to help a friend get the best fare...

A daily return from Bedford to farringdon (or in fact any London Thameslink stop from st pancras to London bridge) is £53.
Add about £6 for the tube return from farringdon to the wharf.

If you're coming in twice a week you can get a 'Flexi season' which allows eight journeys in a 28 day period and works out at £46.37 for the train. But you probably don't get a refund if you don't use all eight - if you're ill or on holiday for example - so personally I'd avoid it.

Another way to do it is buy a network Railcard that costs about £20 for a year, and gives you 30% discount for off-peak fares.
So you could get the single ticket in (£31.10) and a discounted single home (£19.70) making £50.80, saving you £2.20 each time.

Best train for speed is the 0703 Thameslink from Bedford that gets to Farringdon at 0759, then jump on the Elizabeth line to Canary wharf.

Further savings are available if you book the East Midlands trains in advance - I can see a morning single for £20.70, so with the Railcard return at £19.70 that's 'just' £40.40 return, nearly £13 less than the day return.

Are there any other sneaky ways to save?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Need a bit more information - how often do they travel in and do they regularly go elsewhere in London other than their workplace in Canary Wharf?

EABowden

Thanks Mike - Assume twice a week on average and no need for other (regular) London travel

Mike395

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yes, I can't really beat what you've already found; peak travel from Bedford can get pricey!

Per this example (note you'll need to click 'Fastest' to surface the times you want as the journey planner considers it best value to wait until after 10am!) they could probably save a few pounds on the through flexible fare by splitting at St Albans and purchasing a through paper ticket to Canary Wharf though.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Yes, but you can usually get it cheaper. £25.50 at trip.com right now
Bear in mind that we have seen negative reports about railcards purchased from Trip.com. The £4 saving might cost more than that is hassle.

Also the cheaper EMR tickets will be Advance tickets limited to the 'booked train only' so offer no flexibility. EMR can also withdraw or change the price of these tickets at any time so don't rely on them always being available at that price.

westcoaster

Established Member
Hi all

Trying to help a friend get the best fare...

A daily return from Bedford to farringdon (or in fact any London Thameslink stop from st pancras to London bridge) is £53.
Add about £6 for the tube return from farringdon to the wharf.

If you're coming in twice a week you can get a 'Flexi season' which allows eight journeys in a 28 day period and works out at £46.37 for the train. But you probably don't get a refund if you don't use all eight - if you're ill or on holiday for example - so personally I'd avoid it.

Another way to do it is buy a network Railcard that costs about £20 for a year, and gives you 30% discount for off-peak fares.
So you could get the single ticket in (£31.10) and a discounted single home (£19.70) making £50.80, saving you £2.20 each time.

Best train for speed is the 0703 Thameslink from Bedford that gets to Farringdon at 0759, then jump on the Elizabeth line to Canary wharf.

Further savings are available if you book the East Midlands trains in advance - I can see a morning single for £20.70, so with the Railcard return at £19.70 that's 'just' £40.40 return, nearly £13 less than the day return.

Are there any other sneaky ways to save?
The off-peak fares you mention would not be valid on the 0703 departure.

EABowden

The off-peak fares you mention would not be valid on the 0703 departure.
I'm aware of that, thanks. Was just highlighting a cheaper advance fare

Bear in mind that we have seen negative reports about railcards purchased from Trip.com. The £4 saving might cost more than that is hassle.

Also the cheaper EMR tickets will be Advance tickets limited to the 'booked train only' so offer no flexibility. EMR can also withdraw or change the price of these tickets at any time so don't rely on them always being available at that price.
Yes, which is why I think my friend will just stump up the full peak fare