• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Been a bit silly....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
Easy. If questioned, play daft and explain that someone very nice from Virgin at Birmingham New Street did it as you were'nt sure what date you were going, and they explained it to you, by circling the date. Allegedly ;)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WestCoast

Established Member
Surely a biro ring doesn't invalidate the ticket, it could just be highlighting the date it's valid, perhaps (as others have said) by ticket office staff..

Plus, it's an advance valid for one train and one train only, plus connections if applicable.

34D

Established Member
The real question here is why there is a guard going round clipping tickets in this manner!

BestWestern

Established Member
The real question here is why there is a guard going round clipping tickets in this manner!

Very common indeed. It seems that not all TOCs are as fussed as mine is about the use of some sort of proper kit for cancelling tickets. We have bl**dy great bit stamper things, can't mistake our markings! :D

As for having scribbled on the wrong ticket, we've all done that a few times. Could have been rushing, tired, just plain old disinterested etc, who knows?!

island

Veteran Member
A guard I spoke to once said the Zifa stampers cause too much of a mess and rub off!

BestWestern

Established Member
A guard I spoke to once said the Zifa stampers cause too much of a mess and rub off!

Yeah they aren't great to be honest :| They can also give some people pains in their hands and wrists after too much stamping!

table38

Established Member
I got this from a guard on a 395: maybe it was a pre-Halloween special one off!

witch.jpg

GarethW

Don't underestimate the obtuseness you may encounter :(

Ah, being as 95% of my travel is within SWT area - I don't use Advances very often. The only ones I ever use are the £6.50 specials to and from Bristol on FGW and I've never had any probs with them. I guess I'm lucky.:D

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd agree that it's extremely unlikely for there to be a problem as the tickets are Advances, and secondly that the date could have been circled by staff at the point of sale, for example. I'd expect the guard to be more concerned about checking your reservation is for the correct service.

Yesterday I travelled on a ticket with 23/12 biroed on, along with a big squiggle, and had no problems.

dcmbarton

I thought I would report back that indeed, there was no problem...possibly because the ticket wasn't checked anyway:roll:

34D

Established Member
I thought I would report back that indeed, there was no problem...possibly because the ticket wasn't checked anyway:roll:

Lichfield to London.... Wow that is rather bad. Glad you had no issues though.

Status
Not open for further replies.