• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Being allowed to accept more than one route.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidGrain

Established Member
Going slightly off topic but this does relate to a diverted train I was on. We had been advised of signal problems so the driver would have been aware. Approaching my local station, I realised we were runnng very slowly. I looked out of the window and saw that we were running on the Down Goods Loop. My question is on Route Knowledge. Does the fact that the driver is fully familiar with the parallel running line mean that the goods loop is covered or does he have to have driven it at sometime recently?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dan4291

Going slightly off topic but this does relate to a diverted train I was on. We had been advised of signal problems so the driver would have been aware. Approaching my local station, I realised we were runnng very slowly. I looked out of the window and saw that we were running on the Down Goods Loop. My question is on Route Knowledge. Does the fact that the driver is fully familiar with the parallel running line mean that the goods loop is covered or does he have to have driven it at sometime recently?
Yes that's right. Usually for loops drivers know the speeds in and out and if they're goods or passenger loops.

Nippy

Out of interest, where is it documented that freights can’t use the dive under?

I don’t know off hand, just that’s what we were told, as signallers, when it opened. It was something to do with coupling stress….

Why were they previously banned?
Because they were never initially gauge cleared for it. Class 332s HEX units were also banned.

Last edited:

martin2345uk

Established Member
I don’t know off hand, just that’s what we were told, as signallers, when it opened. It was something to do with coupling stress…..
Fair enough - I have to say, were I to get the junction indicator to take me down there I’d certainly question it :lol:

Nippy

Fair enough - I have to say, were I to get the junction indicator to take me down there I’d certainly question it :lol:
Well if you’re ever running light engine you can go that way…. I’m not at TVSC anymore. I’m at Wembley Mainline now.

DavidGrain

Established Member
I was once, back in about 1980, on a train which had to reverse because the driver had accepted a wrong route. Just a bit of background information. On at least two occasions I had to travel home from Leeds to Birmingham on a Sunday afternoon. Rail Enquires assured me that there were not any trains on Sunday afternoons before about 5.00pm. Anyway during the week before, I went into a Thomas Cook office to buy my tickets. They told me that there was a train from Leeds to Sheffield at about 2.30pm where I could change to a Birmingham train. I presented at the barrier at Leeds and was challenged as there was no train to Birmingham. I explained that when I bought my ticket I was told that I could travel on the Sheffield train. With some reluctance I was allowed through the barrier (I had the same discussion on a further occasion a few years later).

This is the story I was told by the guard when he came round checking on passengers who had onward connections at Sheffield. All week they had been told that on Sunday the service would be diverted because of engineering work. However both the driver and the guard, when they signed on that day had been told that they were to work the normal route. The driver therefore accepted the signals for the normal route until he came to a stop signal. When he phoned through to check, according to how the guard told the story, the signaller's response was 'What the Hell are you doing there? There is a possession ahead of your signal'. We had to reverse back to Wakefield.

DoubleO

Slightly off topic, but technically a passenger train shouldn't be routed onto a goods loop at all, so I presume either it's not actually a goods loop as per the sectional appendix, or he was given special persimmon for the move from control to keep things running....

dan4291

Slightly off topic, but technically a passenger train shouldn't be routed onto a goods loop at all, so I presume either it's not actually a goods loop as per the sectional appendix, or he was given special persimmon for the move from control to keep things running....
They can if the points have been secured (scotched and clipped).

DoubleO

Is that in the rule book? I'm sure TW1 just states pass services must not use goods lines unless in an emergency or authorised etc

zwk500

Veteran Member
Is that in the rule book? I'm sure TW1 just states pass services must not use goods lines unless in an emergency or authorised etc
For a passenger train to operate over a goods line all facing points must be secured in position, either with a facing point lock (if present) or with clips and scotches.

Class 170101

Established Member
Depends on the Status of the Goods Loop.

Chelmsford has one but passenger trains use it. However There is one between Manchester and the Hope Valley that an EM service was routed via as a Class 5 but changed to a Class 1 and it had to follow the stopper to Sheffield on its first night, on subsequent nights it was diverted non-stop via Stockport.

martin2345uk

Established Member

Chelmsford has one but passenger trains use it. However There is one between Manchester and the Hope Valley that an EM service was routed via as a Class 5 but changed to a Class 1 and it had to follow the stopper to Sheffield on its first night, on subsequent nights it was diverted non-stop via Stockport.

To be fair the Chelmsford one is called the Down Passenger Loop :D

DoubleO

If it was a class 5 then it wasn't a passenger train in service which is why it could use the loop...

Class 170101

Established Member
If it was a class 5 then it wasn't a passenger train in service which is why it could use the loop...
Correct it was a Class 5 ECS, the train in question is now a Class 1 Passenger Train, this one in fact now diverted non-stop via Stockport.

Status
Not open for further replies.