Being asked to show PRIV card when travelling.

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by greyman42, 10 Oct 2017.

1. greyman42

greyman42 Member

What is ITSO ?

2. PudseyBearHST

PudseyBearHST Member

Ok thanks mate.

3. IanXC

IanXC Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I suppose whether a manual barrier or an automatic one, the 'factors of interest' will determine whether further questions/seek assistance are set. There is probably a good case for issuing, certainly active staff, with some kind of gatepass.

A Smartcard, virtually every transport smart card outside of Oyster is to ITSO standard, so enabling interoperability.

4. High Dyke

High Dyke Established Member

I quite agree. Always have it ready to show, regardless of being asked for it.

Funnily enough your comment about the "cursory glance" reminds of my trip last week in 1st class on EMT to London. The train was a mid-morning weekday departure from Nottingham so wasn't overly busy. The catering staff merely asked if I had a valid ticket, but didn't pay that much attention to my priv - I had dated a box. Midway through the journey the guard came through and asked to see my Priv. I showed him and heard him point out to the respective member of the catering team that I had dated a box.

5. AndrewE

AndrewE Established Member

I had something like that once when a conductor announced loudly to us (to be heard by all the other people in the coach) that as we were staff we were forbidden to take anything other than soft drinks or tea or coffee. The fact that we had already declined all the food offered by the catering staff seemed to have passed him by. A friend who was a very senior person in the same TOC said we should have made a formal complaint about it...

6. Clip

Clip Established Member

Oh insaw all of the grumble dont worry but my point still stands.

Of course just because you bought the ticket doesnt mean that it was you who rightfully travlled on it.

7. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

Silver Status Passes are already issued as ITSO cards (and work most gatelines in the South East, although not all and very few elsewhere). A few TOCs will provide journey-specific gatepasses for active staff making residential journeys (London Midland being one) but Virgin Trains and EMT won't.

The only time I buy Priv tickets now is on Heathrow Express, it would never occur to me not to show my Staff Travel Card with the ticket - it's so little effort and makes the staff's job easier so why wouldn't you?

8. AndrewE

try reading the first line of post 13

9. 306024

306024 Established Member

Or perhaps post 14?

Of course it is all too much hassle you could always buy a full fare ticket. Not sure you are going to get too much sympathy here mate.

Last edited: 12 Oct 2017 at 18:09
  10. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

I assume you mean post 14? I has read it and I disagree with you that it's too much effort, but we clearly have different opinions on the matter

11. AndrewE

We'll see if you still have the same opinion after you have had your pocket picked...

12. ag51ruk

ag51ruk Member

Go on, I'll bite. I'm not suggesting that you don't store things safely, just that getting them out when needed isn't a big hassle. You have to produce your priv card when buying a ticket, when requested on the train or at a barrier. Do you refuse because it might get stolen?

And please don't make assumptions about whether I have been a victim of crime or not.

13. AndrewE

Looking at the thread title again, I have no problem with showing it when travelling (although I can't remember being asked to) and obviously I show it when buying a ticket. The point is that in those situations you are (relatively) in control of the situation.

At a station barrier when you are in a crowd off a busy arrival, wrapped up for the cold outside and juggling your luggage then you can do without having anything else in your hand beyond the ticket itself. Most crime prevention advice says keep valuables secure, which means as far away from pickpocket access as practicable.

And I didn't assume you had been the victim of a crime, I said we'll see if you change your mind after you have been. Being burgled a few decades ago certainly changed my habits.

14. trentside

trentside Established Member Senior Fares Advisor

Had that once on East Coast, when travelling with some other forum members. The fact that I was actually on public rate Advance tickets obviously passed her by (my PRIV wallet was open, as I'd kept my tickets in there).

On the subject of showing PRIV passes, I don't tend to pay much attention to them when checking tickets - but on the whole find that most who have them will already have them on display. Dependants tend to be the worst for not having them out, but will nearly always happily show them if requested.

15. RJ

RJ Established Member

I agree with this - and at the ticket office I have a large supply of three-window National Rail ticket wallets which are designed to make showing a photocard, discount card and ticket visible at the same time. Should be available nationwide so no need for it to be an issue!

16. RJ

RJ Established Member

Some of the catering staff on that line are really aggressive. A few years back I had a All Line Rover at the full public rate and had been served. Another member of catering staff spotted my Priv and had a go at me for taking the food before taking it back.

Another time I had to pass an inquisition, being asked four times if I was sure I was meant to be in First Class, then being required to show my ticket before I was allowed to sit down.

Also had one on EMT where the member of catering staff simply walked past and never served me. When I mentioned this to the TM, the TM said that I'd better not show her colleague any attitude! I almost apologised for having the audacity for being a paying customer.

This kind of service certainly isn't worth paying anything extra for - still get your head bitten off if you get crap treatment and try politely to resolve it there and then!

Last edited: 14 Oct 2017 at 12:49
  17. greyman42

greyman42 Member

I find the National Rail ticket wallets flimsy and your priv can easily get bent and crumpled so I do not keep my priv in them.