• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bellgrove to Stepps in Glasgow, Scotland Problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bAzTNM

Hi there!

Recently, I've had to go to Stepps from Bellgrove and always bought a RETURN from Bellgrove to Stepps on the train.

On the return portion, I usually get a drive to Barnhill station and get on there. However, everytime I hand over the ticket, I'm getting questioned as to where I got on, or they want to see the ticket again.

Is the ticket valid if I start the RETURN section off at Barnhill and go to Bellgrove? Certainly confuses the on-board examiners!

Thanks a lot!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John @ home

Established Member
Yes, that's perfectly valid. All Bellgrove - Stepps tickets permit break of journey, and the shortest route is
Bellgrove - Duke Street - Alexandra Parade - Barnhill - Springburn - Stepps

bAzTNM

No where to actually put this, so I stuck it in here.

Had an absolute "brain surgeon" of a ticket examiner between Stepps and Springburn a few days ago. I had a Bellgrove - Stepps RETURN by the way. Near Springburn, on the return leg, the person snapped the ticket out my hands and preceded to draw all over it with an absolutely massive wavy line from the top to the bottom. I said "I'm going to need that to get to Bellgrove", he then basically threw it back to me and said "So you are".

I ended up paying a single from Springburn to Bellgrove. No way I could explain the scribbling.

p123

Were you asked to pay for another ticket on the return leg, or did you just buy one of your own accord?

I've often had marks/writing/holes punched in a ticket I've required to use on two or more trains on the first leg of the journey and have never been questioned when using ScotRail.

bAzTNM

I didn't even show the marked ticket. No way they'd believe any story I came up with. I went up to the Springburn ticket office and got a single to Bellgrove. Was not happy.

ADDED: It wasn't even a small line. It was a massive black wavy felt-tip'd line covering the whole destination details part. Whole ticket.

Last edited:

p123

That's ok.

In future, I'd reccomend that, if questioned, just politely explain your situation to the TE on the Bellgrove train.

If you're made to buy another ticket I'd just buy another one and write to ScotRail customer services requesting a refund. At the end of the day all ScotRail services are covered by CCTV so if push came to shove and customer services accused you of trying to use a ticket twice you have every right to turn round and say "ok, prove it" to them, because they do have the means to do so. Thus, you're safely covered.

34D

Established Member
I didn't even show the marked ticket. No way they'd believe any story I came up with. I went up to the Springburn ticket office and got a single to Bellgrove. Was not happy.

ADDED: It wasn't even a small line. It was a massive black wavy felt-tip'd line covering the whole destination details part. Whole ticket.

This was possibly just his way of marking the ticket. Why on earth did you buy another ticket though! There was absolutely no need!

bAzTNM

He scribbled across the whole thing. Big felt tipped pen, not just a line, a big wavy line, covering one side of the ticket to the other.

ADDED: It was a different examiner too.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
He scribbled across the whole thing. Big felt tipped pen, not just a line, a big wavy line, covering one side of the ticket to the other.

ADDED: It was a different examiner too.
So? They can mark the ticket however they want but it does not in any way affect the validity. It is valid for break of journey at intermediate stations providing the route is a permitted route.

On a Nuneaton-Poppleton ticket I had a stamp (Virgin to Warrington), a scribble (ATW to Manchester) and a rip (TPE to York), but it would still be valid for the final leg of the journey until the ultimate destination is reached.

pooliemag

So? They can mark the ticket however they want but it does not in any way affect the validity. It is valid for break of journey at intermediate stations providing the route is a permitted route.

On a Nuneaton-Poppleton ticket I had a stamp (Virgin to Warrington), a scribble (ATW to Manchester) and a rip (TPE to York), but it would still be valid for the final leg of the journey until the ultimate destination is reached.

Hi, please excuse my ignorance here but....If the inspector had managed to "blackout" the destination and perhaps the fare details with the marker pen then how would the next inspector know if the ticket was valid?? Im not familiar with this route but lets say for instance that I had a ticket Wolves -Preston and the 1st Inspector managed to blackout the destination and fare details...how would the 2nd Inspector know that the ticket was only valid to Preston and not say..Glasgow?? Would the Inspector not question why those details were blacked out ( even if done so by a previous Inspector)...would the 2nd Inspector not wonder if I was trying to pull a fast one and get further for free ??
I am curious now lol
Regards
Mark

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I doubt any guard would do that! If they did, then I wouldn't see it as my problem, and I'd probably be writing a letter to the Company, enclosing a copy of the ticket, detailing any problems encountered. I've never seen anything like that though and find it hard to imagine, so this is purely hypothetical.

I did once have a ticket stamped through the magnetic stripe (which they're not meant to do) which meant I had to show the ticket to the gateline assistant rather than put it through the ticket gate.

pooliemag

I doubt any guard would do that! If they did, then I wouldn't see it as my problem, and I'd probably be writing a letter to the Company, enclosing a copy of the ticket, detailing any problems encountered. I've never seen anything like that though and find it hard to imagine, so this is purely hypothetical.

I did once have a ticket stamped through the magnetic stripe (which they're not meant to do) which meant I had to show the ticket to the gateline assistant rather than put it through the ticket gate.

Thanks for the reply Yorkie :) I only asked because the OP mentioned a line crossing the whole ticket and it got me thinking what if those details had been blacked out with that line ;) I agree that it is purely hypothetical and not knowing the ins and out of the ticket stock etc I wondered if the ticket could have the magnetic strip read by some means on the train? Once again please excuse my ignorance in these matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.