• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best EMUs

Status
Not open for further replies.

What are your favourite EMUs either modern or older EMUs? For me growing up in Eastleigh Ido have a soft spot for the 442s but my absolute favourite has to be the 4 REP a 3200hp slammer hauling a 4 or 8 TC unpowered units. They shifted when on there own too.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member
What are your favourite EMUs either modern or older EMUs. For me growing up in Eastleigh Ido have a soft spot for the 442s but my absolute favourite has to be the 4 REP a 3200hp slammer hauling a 4 or 8 TC unpowered units. They shifted when on there own too.
I have a few - 390s, 442s, 4REPs, 309s...

xotGD

Established Member
304. Proper old school compared to the plastic that replaced them.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
What are your favourite EMUs either modern or older EMUs. For me growing up in Eastleigh Ido have a soft spot for the 442s but my absolute favourite has to be the 4 REP a 3200hp slammer hauling a 4 or 8 TC unpowered units. They shifted when on there own too.
Likewise I often spotted at EH in the 80s and always enjoyed watching the REP/TCs belting through. And IMO the 442s were the last decent EMUs built.

365 Networker

365s and 317s are my absolute favourites - very comfortable and both make very nice noises! 323s are quite nice as well.

D365

Veteran Member
That's the first I've ever heard a 323 be referred to as "plastic"! Thought you were talking about an Electrostar at first.

greyman42

Established Member
365s are decent unit. They are better than any of the units brought in as upgrades to them.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
4 CEP's compartments were perfect turn up the heat and have a nice kip. However, they went from hero to zero when refurbished the seat design being particularly diabolically for your back.

dgl

Established Member
pre-refurb 444's for me, nice seats and nice and cold in the summer even if the air-con is a little noisy.

Neptune

Established Member
All of the classes 302 to 312. Absolute workhorses with very little limelight thrown their way (except perhaps for the 303’s and 309’s). I was lucky enough to work the 308’s when they came to West Yorks. I can still hear the ‘Dougie, Dougie, Dougie’ of the traction motors under the first class end.

Modern units just don’t compare, they have so little character.

supervc-10

Have to agree about the 444s. They're great. Although I've not been on one post-refurb. TBH I've not been on a Desiro I didn't like.

Sod

For me it has to be the 4COR / 4BUF / 4GRI; to see a twelve-car set hammering through Surbiton with its front gangway swinging around wildly was a sight to behold. Those machines had real character.

Established Member
309s. Lucky to have travelled many miles on these on the GE.

For their time Classes 306, 502 and 503, especially if you liked the 306s rattly windows. The design was ahead of a lot of what followed.

Last edited:

On Moderation
Crank view of the world, where old=good regardless of whether it was actually any good. 304s were proper horrible, the 323s are so much better in every way.

As for decent EMUs...
Short distance: 323, 333, 334 and 458
Medium distance: 365 and 442
Long distance: 373

Honourable mention for 309s, too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
My favourites are EPB's, phase 1 CIG's and thumpers, but all the old slammers were wonderful !

Romsey

For me it has to be the 4COR / 4BUF / 4GRI; to see a twelve-car set hammering through Surbiton with its front gangway swinging around wildly was a sight to behold. Those machines had real character.

That was going to my suggestion as well. It recalls memories of childhood journeys from South West London to and from the Isle of Wight. The sound affects were interesting as well, particularly in the final years when the motor final drives were worn and made some odd grinding noises. Then there was the smell of musty electric fires combined with slightly damp fabric and timberwork. Their ride wasn't that good and parts of the Portsmouth direct with the curves was a happy "hunting" ground. I think John Goss ( Southern Region staff photographer) wrote an article in Railway World in the early 1970's about the 4COR units.

Mitchell Hurd

On Moderation
365s are decent unit. They are better than any of the units brought in as upgrades to them.

Given the national grid power cut in August last year, affecting all or most of the Class 700's, I can safely say I definitely agree with you there!

AverageTD

Bar the ES units and the FLIRTs which seem a cut above the rest imo, the refurbed 350/1s are a very pleasant place to be. Always liked a Desiro with the exception of when you're put on a 350/2 on a long distance LNWR service.

DGH 1

I love the character of the 302-312 emu's but i do have a large soft spot for the 319's and the 350's.
forgot to mention the 333's I love the rounded easy on the eye appearance of them, not angry looking like a lot of things nowadays.

Last edited:
I can’t remember what they are, they retained them on electrified lines in West Yorkshire long after their expiry date there was always a seat and they were quite comfortable

Richard Scott

Established Member
442s probably one of the best, easy to look upon the mk 1 based units with rise tinted specs, did like them, though! Of the modern units, the Electrostar family seems the best, desiro units always seemed spartan, something that seems to affect German designs (noticed this is their regional trains).

xotGD

Established Member
Crank view of the world, where old=good regardless of whether it was actually any good. 304s were proper horrible, the 323s are so much better in every way.

As for decent EMUs...
Short distance: 323, 333, 334 and 458
Medium distance: 365 and 442
Long distance: 373

Honourable mention for 309s, too.
304s had a cosy feel about them. The 323s that came along are just bland and soulless.

And I won't even mention the seats...

Whistler40145

Established Member
I haven’t sampled too many EMUs, thought the 321s were far superior than 319s, plus the 350/1s aren’t too bad a ride, but felt th ride and seating in the 350/4s wasn’t great, but am impressed with the 331s and 397s

304s had a cosy feel about them. The 323s that came along are just bland and soulless.

And I won't even mention the seats...
The 304/305s provided a lively feeling once on the move

Sod

Having responded swiftly to mention my favourites in the 4COR family, I've been thinking about the next generation of EMUs. The 4CEP / 4BEP were supposed to be an update of the 4COR / 4RES / 4BUF / 4GRI, but they had something of the post-war utilitarian about them, although based upon the wonderful and flexible Mark 1 carriage concept; the BR Design Panel must have been enjoying a protracted teabreak when the frontal styling was drawn up, with the off-centre headcode panel stuck on the gangway door and the untidy overhanging roof. Then some bright soul (who was this?) came up with the idea of fitting a rounded GRP moulding on the front and we had the streamlined 4BIG / 4CIG; the Phase 1 versions of these looked so sleek in Southern Green as they stormed down the Brighton Line. Then the 4REP / 3TC / 4TC / 4VEP family arrived in ultra-flat BR blue and looked so underwhelming, although the performance of the former was positively electrifying (apologies!). The 8VAB did rather muddy the waters, but I must mention the 309s; although Liverpool Street was rather off my beat, they appeared so handsome and stylised with their original curved windscreens. A 2-car 309 looked as if it were amazingly compact and rapid, and I regret that I never had the pleasure of a journey.
The above might seem to be focused too much upon the aesthetics, but I feel that railways must market themselves upon the sense of the occasion, that the passenger is engaging upon something exciting, and this trick has been missed by most of the modern railway entrepreneurs with the exception of Mr Branson.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Having responded swiftly to mention my favourites in the 4COR family, I've been thinking about the next generation of EMUs. The 4CEP / 4BEP were supposed to be an update of the 4COR / 4RES / 4BUF / 4GRI, but they had something of the post-war utilitarian about them, although based upon the wonderful and flexible Mark 1 carriage concept; the BR Design Panel must have been enjoying a protracted teabreak when the frontal styling was drawn up, with the off-centre headcode panel stuck on the gangway door and the untidy overhanging roof. Then some bright soul (who was this?) came up with the idea of fitting a rounded GRP moulding on the front and we had the streamlined 4BIG / 4CIG; the Phase 1 versions of these looked so sleek in Southern Green as they stormed down the Brighton Line. Then the 4REP / 3TC / 4TC / 4VEP family arrived in ultra-flat BR blue and looked so underwhelming, although the performance of the former was positively electrifying (apologies!). The 8VAB did rather muddy the waters, but I must mention the 309s; although Liverpool Street was rather off my beat, they appeared so handsome and stylised with their original curved windscreens. A 2-car 309 looked as if it were amazingly compact and rapid, and I regret that I never had the pleasure of a journey.
The above might seem to be focused too much upon the aesthetics, but I feel that railways must market themselves upon the sense of the occasion, that the passenger is engaging upon something exciting, and this trick has been missed by most of the modern railway entrepreneurs with the exception of Mr Branson.

Aesthetics are important. The design panel's choice of trojan moquette was definitely a spectaccularly good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.