• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Ever Southern Region EMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Since it's an EMU which just happens to be supplied from a diesel generator, I'm tempted to give a shout out for the Hampshire units.

All the bouncy cosyness of an EPB in an idyllic rural setting.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RAGNARØKR

CEPs were the nicest of the EMUs to drive for me, and as a passenger too. Not too keen on the VEPs but the CIGs were nice.
The very best CEPs were the original batch with timber panelling ie before the British Transport Design Panel had a go at them. I believe the original mark 1 interiors were by Sir Hugh Casson who ran a perfectly reputable architectural firm.

Some of the CEPs (1696/7/8/9) and some BEP units ended up with B5 (SR) bogies in the trailers and mark 6 motor bogies and were the best riding of all the mark 1 fleet, running out of Brighton at the beginning of the privatisation period. Then Connex replaced them with tarted-up 319s which were no improvement at all.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
RAGNARØKR;1307980 said:
The very best CEPs were the original batch with timber panelling ie before the British Transport Design Panel had a go at them. I believe the original mark 1 interiors were by Sir Hugh Casson who ran a perfectly reputable architectural firm.

From pictures, the original interiors looked a bit dated compared to the production series which seem bright and modern, yet (judging by the Hastings and Phase 1CIG unit seating) still very comfortable.

RAGNARØKR

From pictures, the original interiors looked a bit dated compared to the production series which seem bright and modern, yet (judging by the Hastings and Phase 1CIG unit seating) still very comfortable.
The prototype CEPs were not really dated when they were built or for the couple of decades after, any more than identical original standard steam stock was. The production CEPs had laminate panelling and introduced different moquettes with a more contrasty pattern. The original mark 1 standard represented an example of the best of interior design of its period. The influence of the designers involved in the Design and Industry Association, predecessors of the Design Council, could clearly be seen. Functionality was key, with no concessions or compromises being made to the requirements of marketing departments which these days so often destroy the quality of the design concept.

Chafford1

2-BILs and 2-NOLs would have been the staple for services there at that time, If I remember correctly they would run down as far as Ascot as a 4 car service then split. One half would go to Reading the other to Guildford via Aldershot.

2 BILs (2 coach bi-lavatory)and 2 HALs (2 coach half lavatory) were used on the Reading services.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
RAGNARØKR;1309010 said:
The prototype CEPs were not really dated when they were built or for the couple of decades after, any more than identical original standard steam stock was. The production CEPs had laminate panelling and introduced different moquettes with a more contrasty pattern. The original mark 1 standard represented an example of the best of interior design of its period. The influence of the designers involved in the Design and Industry Association, predecessors of the Design Council, could clearly be seen. Functionality was key, with no concessions or compromises being made to the requirements of marketing departments which these days so often destroy the quality of the design concept.

I suppose a lot of it is down to taste. I find stripey trojan moquette and laminate paneling quite snazzy. I wish that some of the underlying design principles such as comfortable seating and plenty of leg room had been continued into the present day though.

VTPreston_Tez

My first ever southern region emu wins it for me - the 442! (However the platform-train gaps they made at Dorchester South were ridiculous)

Nowadays though I do prefer the 444 and I'd like a go on the 377 or a non-peak time run on a 450.

Established Member
I liked the much maligned 2 & 4 EPBs. They may have been boring as alluded to above, but they did there job for nigh on 35 years day in day out and imho they served all the former Southern Region very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.