• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best First Class experience you've had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
In response to recent threads on new operators not having First Class and whether or not we should fully/partly abolish First Class, I thought I'd start a thread to ask people when and where they had there best First Class experience.

For me it was on a Class 373 Eurostar on a London to Paris run in 2012, breakfast in Business Premier was for me absolutely wonderful. A fast and smooth ride added to what remains one of my favourite journeys by train - shame they've got those awful 374s now though

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mirodo

Decided to upgrade to 1st once on VTEC as they had an offer on at the time. The guard came to check my ticket, but couldn’t issue the upgrade as his machine wasn’t working. He promised he’d be back. I got fully fed and plied with alcohol. He never returned.

jj1314

I've had many great experiences with EMT and GWR over the years. My best, though, was on VTWC a couple of years ago as part of a trip returning from an intensive training course in Oban to London.

As I recall, it was an advance fare for under £40 and maybe the last London train of the day. I was travelling alone and pre-reserved a "table for 1".

I had no expectations, really, so was overjoyed to be offered a menu offering hot food! Think I opted for some sort of chicken and chorizo stew and it filled the gap. I was delighted to be given sandwiches, too, and tea. Plus coffee. Plus beer, gin and more biscuits than I could eat.

Just what I needed after a pretty dismal run towards Queen Street (overcrowded 156; no window view; toilet OOU).

Shell

Seven alcoholic drinks, along with two meals, plus snacks, between Aberdeen and Newcastle, on the Government-operated East Coast. I was noticeably buzzed at the other end. :3 Best bit is, with a railcard, at the time it was regularly only £15 more to travel first class (which included free wifi) rather than standard class, which had a £10 charge for wifi.

nlogax

Established Member
London to Inverness some years ago. I opted to forgo the direct service and do it via both East Coast and Scotrail. Very decent breakfast out from London and then onward from Waverley to my destination in a sparsely-filled 158, first class section all to myself and coffee flowing all the way. It was a blissful summer's day, perfect for the scenery and the whole experience was stress-free. Definitely helped not to be in any hurry so I could take the time and enjoy it all.

cactustwirly

Established Member
My only first class experience was a very cheap 1st advance from Bristol Parkway - Pembroke Dock with GWR.
There was plenty of free Coffee, Biscuits and of course fruit cake.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
In summary:

Daytime: Virgin West Coast in Mk 3 days when the seats were the red fabric covered ones*.

Night time: Berth 23 on a Caledonian Sleeper.

*i.e. prior to their refurbishment a few years before withdrawal.

Requeststop

Undoubtedly, Paddington to Truro, on the Cornishman a few years back.
I managed to get a left side facing and dined in style all the way to Plymouth.
Exeter-Newton Abbot stupendous.
Kept the remains of the bottle of wine and glass for the ride from Plymouth to Truro.
Memorable and highly recommended.

xc170

Edinburgh - Birmingham with VWC last September, my partner and I were returning from a few days in Scotland and treated ourselves to 1st on the way home, the food and red wine kept flowing, we were both somewhat merry on our arrival at New Street.

Failed Unit

Established Member
London - Norwich with Anglia railways.

Had a standard ticket. Bought breakfast. They let me stay for whole journey. Good service, good food.

Oh how I miss restaurants on trains. Many people for Leeds and York used to do that with GNER as well.

Iskra

Established Member
To me there are two contenders:

Business class on the Cardiff-Holyhead train. A freshly chef-prepared 3 course meal on comfortable loco-hauled-rolling stock travelling through great scenery. The meal being included in the ticket price makes it better than the GWR Pullman in my opinion. It's like doing premier dining on a railtour, but for 1/3 of the price and the staff are great too.

1st class on an EMT Breakfast train. Again, a freshly cooked proper breakfast on a HST as you meander towards London, the perfect start to the day.

The GWR Pullman dining is good, but can be done on a standard ticket and is expensive.

The VTWC/VTEC offerings are increasingly poor in comparison to the above services, and a lot of it is poor quality microwaved stuff often served in tiny portions by staff who would often prefer it if you weren't there. VTWC breakfast is okay though.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Couple of memorable ones:

Wrexham and Shropshire between Wrexham and London Marylebone. Remember them? Nobody talks about them any more.

I seem to recall two courses were free and a third was nominally chargeable. I can’t remember what my starter or dessert was but the main was a lamb shank which was absolutely wonderful. The train wended its way through Shropshire and it was absolutely delightful. The cost? About £30-something with a Young Person’s Railcard (as they were called back then!).

Arriva Trains Wales’ WAG Express northbound. A very similar experience to the above except the food was even better. Best done in midsummer to take advantage of stunning dusk views of the North Wales Coast.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I’m trying Frecciarossa Executive Class later in the year, something tells me that might be a contender.

SS4

Established Member
Edinburgh - Birmingham with VWC last September, my partner and I were returning from a few days in Scotland and treated ourselves to 1st on the way home, the food and red wine kept flowing, we were both somewhat merry on our arrival at New Street.

Mine was similar although a couple of years ago now. Although I did not fancy alcohol on the day so I had plenty of tea instead.

Established Member
I've only experienced London Midland's first class, which I thought was decent.

I would like to sample TPE's at some point, although I'll probably wait until the new trains enter service.

Established Member
London - Norwich with Anglia railways.

Had a standard ticket. Bought breakfast. They let me stay for whole journey. Good service, good food.

Oh how I miss restaurants on trains. Many people for Leeds and York used to do that with GNER as well.

Dinner with Anglia Railways. A two course meal served between Liverpool St and Colchester. Fantastic service. Those were the days.

More recently posh dining on Great Western, pricey but staff and food couldn't be faulted.

Iskra

Established Member
I’m trying Frecciarossa Executive Class later in the year, something tells me that might be a contender.

It is amazing, try to get one of the meal services if you can! Could do with a bit more leg room though and the carriage board-room is a bit congested ;)

voyagerdude220

Established Member
Personally I love travelling on the "WAG" northbound 17:16 departure Cardiff to Holyhead service. I think the food is incredibly good and fantastic value for money.

I used to enjoy Wrexham and Shropshire when they were still around. Greatly missed.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Decided to upgrade to 1st once on VTEC as they had an offer on at the time. The guard came to check my ticket, but couldn’t issue the upgrade as his machine wasn’t working. He promised he’d be back. I got fully fed and plied with alcohol. He never returned.

Sounds like you had a good time nevertheless, despite the guard breaking his promise! ;)

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Couple of memorable ones:

Wrexham and Shropshire between Wrexham and London Marylebone. Remember them? Nobody talks about them any more.

I seem to recall two courses were free and a third was nominally chargeable. I can’t remember what my starter or dessert was but the main was a lamb shank which was absolutely wonderful. The train wended its way through Shropshire and it was absolutely delightful. The cost? About £30-something with a Young Person’s Railcard (as they were called back then!).

Arriva Trains Wales’ WAG Express northbound. A very similar experience to the above except the food was even better. Best done in midsummer to take advantage of stunning dusk views of the North Wales Coast.

I want to try the WAG Express at sine point but never get round to it. The W&S offering was by all accounts excellent, shame it went kaput before I got to try it. :frown:

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Certainly the catering trolley coffee was excellent, if their Executive Class offering is to the same standard it should be very good indeed, just a shame their suburban and regional trains are in such a sorry state.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It is amazing, try to get one of the meal services if you can! Could do with a bit more leg room though and the carriage board-room is a bit congested ;)

Leg room was tight in Standard in my opinion, I wonder if it's a design issue?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Personally I love travelling on the "WAG" northbound 17:16 departure Cardiff to Holyhead service. I think the food is incredibly good and fantastic value for money.

I used to enjoy Wrexham and Shropshire when they were still around. Greatly missed.

It is indeed a shame W&S are no more, RIP. :frown:

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Dinner with Anglia Railways. A two course meal served between Liverpool St and Colchester. Fantastic service. Those were the days.

More recently posh dining on Great Western, pricey but staff and food couldn't be faulted.

GWR seems to be the company to beat, but like you say - pricey. Often though it's better quality, the old adage: 'you get what you pay for' sums it up.

Iskra

Established Member
Leg room was tight in Standard in my opinion, I wonder if it's a design issue?

I was only joking. Leg room is ridiculously good- google it, there's only like 8 seats in the entire carriage! I did walk down the train and I thought all classes looked decent. Their standard is way better than ours!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I was only joking. Leg room is ridiculously good- google it, there's only like 8 seats in the entire carriage! I did walk down the train and I thought all classes looked decent. Their standard is way better than ours!

I wasn't keen on standard, I found it very dull lit. Either that or my coach had a lighting fault.

Status
Not open for further replies.