• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best livery on the East Coast Mainline?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

J-2739

Established Member
Bear in mind that the EC livery was deliberately designed to be a non-livery (if that makes sense).

Yes, but the purple stripes applied onto the grey background along with the beige vinyls made it look like a combination of different peoples vomit.

That's understated elegance, my friend. Not old-fashioned.

Ok, perhaps 'old fashioned was a bit of an overreaction, but the livery looks a bit 'one-off' to me.

SeanG

Established Member
I quite liked the original metro liveried 158s and 155s

Fishplate84

Current trend for the grey/white neutral liveries, I get the cost argument, but designed by someone with zero concept of the value of image in marketing. That'll be the DfT then.
Scottish Government has the right idea with its striking Scotrail brand.

For me, GNER blue was classy and classic, much like the new GWR seems to be.

A0wen

On Moderation
IC Swallow, easily.

I always though the IC Swallow looked wrong on HSTs though - there was something about the application of the yellow end / white band which just didn't suit the HSTs IMO.

Darandio

Established Member
The NMT has a new livery?

Not at all, it's just got some decals on it with 'Improving Your Railway' and suchlike. Certainly nothing to suggest it's a smart new livery though.

Last edited:

Townsend Hook

Not at all, it's just got some decals on it with 'Improving Your Railway' and suchlike. Certainly nothing to suggest it's a smart new livery though.

The base colour is the same, but the livery is certainly different, as with most of the rest of the IM fleet. Meant to give Joe Public a slightly better idea what these strange yellow trains are up to.

Darandio

Established Member
The base colour is the same, but the livery is certainly different, as with most of the rest of the IM fleet. Meant to give Joe Public a slightly better idea what these strange yellow trains are up to.

Maybe we differ on what a different livery is then. Some words on the side don't reperesent a different livery to me.

lincolnshire

The Problem VTEC livery it makes look old which they are (HST 40 years old) but what the right livery does is make them look Grand not old. https://thebeautyoftransport.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/3043503806_de1f4fb7c1_o.jpg?w=547&h=403

Will agree with you there they certainly looked good and grand with there crests on the side of the coaches and the colour was very classic.

Wonder what happened to the crest on the coach sides then?

All we have now is what looks like a cheap and fly by night outfit in it for a quick buck.

Must be nice if your colour blind on red.

Last edited:

Tempest3K

Gotta be IC Swallow (still looks good as proven by 43185 when it ran up to NRM in Oct).

If we're talking privatised era, GC's current livery would be my pick.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I always though the IC Swallow looked wrong on HSTs though - there was something about the application of the yellow end / white band which just didn't suit the HSTs IMO.
Personally I think that the combination of the curved warning yellow lower valance, white lower bodyside and black cab surround of an HST power car emulates the plumage of the upper body and head of the swallow from which the livery takes its' name and logo, unlike any of the other stock that the livery was applied to. I admit that the effect is considerably less striking than the style of swallow livery that was applied to the IC225s, though.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
ooooooooooooooooh paint wibble - my favorite ;)

IF i was interested in things like paint ( which, for the avoidance of doubt, I am not) I would say in no order:

IC Swallow
GNER
GC plain black

colchesterken

Early BR red, looked more wholesome than all the daft colours we get now
Our lot painting trains white GGGGR

Status
Not open for further replies.