• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best loco engine sound

Best engine sound

• Class 20

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Class 31

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Class 37

Votes: 45 24.6%
  • Class 40

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Class 47

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Class 50

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Class 56

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Class 57/0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Class 57/3

• Class 59

• Class 60

• Class 66 (Earliest model)

• Class 66 (latest model)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Class 67

• Class 68

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Class 70

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Class 73 (origial)

• Class 73 (MTU/Cummins)

• Deltic

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • HST (Valenta)

Votes: 35 19.1%
  • HST (VP185)

• HST (MTU)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Which loco do you think has the best currently running on the railway today from idle to full power at speed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Not sure how you can lump the 2 73/9s in the same category, the MTU one sounds completely different to the Cummings offering. Which incidentally opens up another point - how has Cummings managed to make an engine sound so different in each application? The 185s sound pretty good, the 22x awful, the 180 fleet contrasts to that with a softer sound and now it's found it way into the 73/9s

Deepgreen

Established Member
Quite a few classes missing - 08, 52 (given that other preserved classes are in there), most DMUs, etc., let alone steam! For the latter, I vote for any large two cylinder loco, e.g. 'Britannia' class.

Crossover

Established Member
Quite a few classes missing - 08, 52 (given that other preserved classes are in there), most DMUs, etc., let alone steam! For the latter, I vote for any large two cylinder loco, e.g. 'Britannia' class.

It does state locos in the OP (though not in the title at present - I'll report this) so that would rule out the DMU's anyway. I was looking for Class 185 and couldn't work out originally why I couldn't find it <D

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Why are Westerns and 33s not on there then? Both classes are mainline registered.
I'll vote anyway. :)

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I really couldn't decide between 47 and 70 but went for the former on the basis that it sounds better idling. A betty at full whack is just hellfire but a brush is too.

DPWH

On Moderation
Let's face it, anything that boils water winds hands down.

Class 37 and Class 66 are my favourite sounding locos

https://youtu.be/s77ybvFTULI

startup sound on this video, 1m 40s is where it starts up fully for this class 66.

Nothing beats a steam engine though for a nice sound especially when running at speed.

Sent from my iPhone 7+ using Tapatalk

Last edited:

djpontrack

I voted for class 37. It's in my DNA, I was born and brought up on the West Highland line. My 2nd favourite is Valenta HST's. I can still hear that scream after the years I did on dispatch when I lived down south.

Photohunter71

What I'd like to know is, what are the differences in engine notes for the earliest 66 model to the latest 66's? Also like the 57/0's and 57/'3's? In my opinion, 66's all sound the same, and 57's all sound the same. Both use a GM engine (I'm aware they use different GM engines). But I voted for the 37. Best loco sound, followed closely by a 68! Just a shame the 25's/ 26's/27's weren't in there though!

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Not that I would ever express an opinion on such a wibbly spottertastic thread as what train sounds best but IF I were to do so (which, you understand, I am not) I would say either a Deltic or an HST with a Valenta engine.

Prestige15

On Moderation
Why are Westerns and 33s not on there then? Both classes are mainline registered.
I'll vote anyway. :)

Theres a good reason why i didn't add Western, 33 and the 52...

I forgot :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
What I'd like to know is, what are the differences in engine notes for the earliest 66 model to the latest 66's? Also like the 57/0's and 57/'3's? In my opinion, 66's all sound the same, and 57's all sound the same. Both use a GM engine (I'm aware they use different GM engines). But I voted for the 37. Best loco sound, followed closely by a 68! Just a shame the 25's/ 26's/27's weren't in there though!

Let me show you what i mean,

Original 57
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49LuMhgXllc

57/3 Has more of a 66/67 sound to it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4RmorAjdtY

Original 66
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT2-io9pVMA

Latest 66 (low emission 66/3 etc) Has more of a beefy sound
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YH_DIjtEoZo

Hopefully this would help

sprinterguy

Established Member
Theres a good reason why i didn't add Western, 33 and the 52...
A Western and a class 52 are the same thing (although TOPS numbers were never applied before withdrawal, of course). ;)

Personally I've voted for the class 37: For a mid-powered loco they sound absolutely huge. I was also fond of the rumble and turbo scream of a class 56 on a loaded MGR working which punctuated my childhood, but the elemental clattering roar of a class 37 just edges it for me.

I see that at the present time, the top three matches exactly what you would expect based on opinions commonly voiced on this forum: Class 37 followed closely by Valenta engine HST, with the modern class 68 behind.

Last edited:

Bodiddly

Class 37. It's the class 37 and everybody else who disagrees with me is wrong!!! :D:D:D

Photohunter71

Class 37's in particular when in pairs roaring along the line to Ravenscraig hauling the iron ore, used to scare the life out of my friend's little sister! A single or pair of class 20's would also do the trick when hauling coal hoppers! I'd never witnessed a wee 5 year old lassie run back to her house that fast before, screaming en route! This was when both my mate and I were 8! How we laughed!

Status
Not open for further replies.