• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best loco engine sound

Best engine sound

• Class 20

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Class 31

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Class 37

Votes: 45 24.6%
  • Class 40

Votes: 15 8.2%
  • Class 47

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Class 50

Votes: 9 4.9%
  • Class 56

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • Class 57/0

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Class 57/3

• Class 59

• Class 60

• Class 66 (Earliest model)

• Class 66 (latest model)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Class 67

• Class 68

Votes: 25 13.7%
  • Class 70

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Class 73 (origial)

• Class 73 (MTU/Cummins)

• Deltic

Votes: 26 14.2%
  • HST (Valenta)

Votes: 35 19.1%
  • HST (VP185)

• HST (MTU)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Never experienced a Deltic on the mainline but I have experienced D1015 which was entirely awesome. Westerns aren't on here though so I've gone for 37s because they sound the business.
Heard one go by on a test train an hour ago and didn't regret the decision :)

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Never experienced a Deltic on the mainline but I have experienced D1015 which was entirely awesome. Westerns aren't on here though so I've gone for 37s because they sound the business.
Heard one go by on a test train an hour ago and didn't regret the decision :)

I must admit that listening to the roar of Cl 37s on the Cumbrian coast youtube videos made me realise how good they do sound. I'm sure the 40s were louder still, which is why we didn't really notice the 37s back in the day.

This is all very subjective, of course, but to leave St Pancras behind a Cl 45 with 9 on was quite an experience, with the noise rattling off all the tunnel and retaining walls between MP 0 and West Hampsted tunnel north portal.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
I must admit that listening to the roar of Cl 37s on the Cumbrian coast youtube videos made me realise how good they do sound. I'm sure the 40s were louder still, which is why we didn't really notice the 37s back in the day.

This is all very subjective, of course, but to leave St Pancras behind a Cl 45 with 9 on was quite an experience, with the noise rattling off all the tunnel and retaining walls between MP 0 and West Hampsted tunnel north portal.

I totally agree with your comments about the 40s, and likewise the 45/46s although sounding virtually identical to a 47 they actually played that Sulzer symphony a good few decibels louder whether idling or on full power.

Minilad

Established Member
Not that I would ever express an opinion on such a wibbly spottertastic thread as what train sounds best but IF I were to do so (which, you understand, I am not) I would say either a Deltic or an HST with a Valenta engine.

Despite you never expressing an opinion I would have to agree the with opinion you didn't express

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I totally agree with your comments about the 40s, and likewise the 45/46s although sounding virtually identical to a 47 they actually played that Sulzer symphony a good few decibels louder whether idling or on full power.

Only ever went behind D200 on the mainline but having experienced a few noisy runs in preservation I must admit they do sound fantastic. As far as Peaks go I've had some that are quieter than 47s and some that seemed louder. I wondered if this was something to do with the condition of the silencers, ie whether the baffle plates were rusted through or not?

I suppose on the forum though there are quite a few younger members that didn't experience locos on the mainline that the older members experienced in day to day service being worked hard on a proper train.

Harbornite

Established Member
It doesn't surprise me to see class 37s doing so well, and rightly so! After them, I'd put Westerns, Valenta HSTs and 68s in no particular order as they all sound great. 47s less so...

Not that I would ever express an opinion on such a wibbly spottertastic thread as what loco sounds best but IF I were to do so (which, you understand, I am not) I would say either a Deltic or an HST with a Valenta engine.

Someone's in denial! :)

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Only ever went behind D200 on the mainline but having experienced a few noisy runs in preservation I must admit they do sound fantastic. As far as Peaks go I've had some that are quieter than 47s and some that seemed louder. I wondered if this was something to do with the condition of the silencers, ie whether the baffle plates were rusted through or not?

I suppose on the forum though there are quite a few younger members that didn't experience locos on the mainline that the older members experienced in day to day service being worked hard on a proper train.[/QUOTE

I'll have to admit I've never heard a preserved Peak running, either on the mainline or a heritage line, my memories are purely from BR days and witnessing them at locations such as Manchester Piccadilly, York, Derby, Bristol etc. to me the 47 always seemed tame by comparison, although I think perhaps the huge louvred side panels on the Peaks perhaps played their part in this increased noise level as a 47 with its solid bodysides all the engine cacophony was routed out of its roof vents.

I must agree with you about younger members on here, if they could only have witnessed 40s, 50s, 52s etc. in BR days there would be some rather different popularity ratings above, hell even the small Sulzers (24/25/26/27s) used to make a heck of a sound when really under load, I can still visualise them passing by here at night with a 2/3ft jet of flame blasting out of the roof exhaust port!

Whistler40145

Established Member
20s, 37s, 40s and 50s, that's the best thrash, especially on wet rails.

Each to our own, but I don't think 66, provide much thrash, it's more of a strumming noise.

Last edited:

Minilad

Established Member
Anybody who votes for a 66 really needs to take a long hard look at themselves!
My guess is they are younger people who have never experienced proper thrash

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Again not expressing any kind of wibbly spotterism but that Western thing doesn't half sound good. Not a proper train of course...........

Mr Fizz

Class 37, followed closely by the Class 37 and finally the Class 37. Special mention for the Class 37.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Again not expressing any kind of wibbly spotterism but that Western thing doesn't half sound good. Not a proper train of course...........
Yes, for something from the Western region, which, as a North Eastern man, I feel duty bound to point out at every turn is weird and unnatural, they're pretty decent.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Class 37, followed closely by the Class 37 and finally the Class 37. Special mention for the Class 37.
I see that you've got your priorities right there. :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
20s, 37s, 40s and 50s, that's the best thrash, especially on wet rails.
They came up with all the best stuff, did English Electric. There's none of their diesel loco designs that disappoint.

Ash Bridge

Established Member
In the 52s twilight years did not BR run a non or limited stop special with one from Kings X up the ECML to perhaps York or was it Newcastle and back? It would have been interesting to note how it performed on The 55s main stomping ground.

Last edited:

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I have to say that there was one of the ROGS 37's down our line the other day (early morning, quiet) and the driver clearly enjoyed the loud handle. You could here it coming and then going for what seemed like miles. The noise was bouncing around. It sounded good. If i was into that sort of thing.

Yes, for something from the Western region, which, as a North Eastern man, I feel duty bound to point out at every turn is weird and unnatural, they're pretty decent.

Wrong uns the lot of them. ;)

In the 52s twilight years did not BR run a non or limited stop special with one from Kings X up the ECML to perhaps York or was it Newcastle and back? It would have been interesting to note how it performed on The 55s main stomping ground.

not as well that's for sure. ;)

AJM580

Gotta be the Deltic. Will never forget D9000 on a Norwich - Liverpool St in 1999. Full whack out of Norwich and 100 mph before Diss.

TheEdge

Established Member
Its really odd, you've asked for the best sounding loco but have left out the correct answer which is obviously any four cylinder GWR design...

Status
Not open for further replies.