• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best Lunchtime "Meal Deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crossover

Established Member
I bought a 330ml drink at Boots the other day that would have cost £2.75 by itself. I wonder who would actually pay that much for it though!

The problem is a 2l bottle, especially of something carbonated, is really not that great to have with your lunch.

In the height of summer I don't even carry 2l of water at a time. It is frustrating that it is so often much cheaper.

I'm for some reason reminded of someone I know who once, upon arriving at their British holiday town, bought 2 2l bottles of water because they were on offer at 2 for £1, and it was thought that one wasn't to drink the tap water :D :D

Yes, I had this at Lidl the other day. Really was after a 1 litre still water. Could buy a 2 litre or a pack of 6 x 500ml.

On the latter, that was hilarious!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kite159

Veteran Member
I bought a 330ml drink at Boots the other day that would have cost £2.75 by itself. I wonder who would actually pay that much for it though!

The problem is a 2l bottle, especially of something carbonated, is really not that great to have with your lunch.

In the height of summer I don't even carry 2l of water at a time. It is frustrating that it is so often much cheaper.

I'm for some reason reminded of someone I know who once, upon arriving at their British holiday town, bought 2 2l bottles of water because they were on offer at 2 for £1, and it was thought that one wasn't to drink the tap water :D :D

You will be surprised at some people buying only the drink.

Or even handing over £5+ in the likes of WHS for a sandwich & drink, not putting together that if they picked up a packet of crisps it would cost them less, even if they threw the crisps away

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I do like the Greggs baguettes but the mayo (last one I had was a prawn mayo) gets all over the bag as it has been inevitably squashed at one point and coats everything in a 5 mile radius when you try to get the baguette out!

the stottie is the answer. Minimal spillage of contents

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Ah yes that one is really excellent! Think it was with you last time I had one?

Sandwich, crisps, cookie AND a drink for £2 :D

Indeed, bought in Llandudno! My first and only so far: it doesn't seem to be available in all their outlets.

Butts

Veteran Member
So only Blind Traveller and my goodself nominating the CO-OP....often in Rural Areas of Scotland it is the only option. :idea:

Has anyone ever sampled a Poundland Sandwich - what's the opposite of "deep fill" :oops:

richw

Veteran Member
So only Blind Traveller and my goodself nominating the CO-OP....often in Rural Areas of Scotland it is the only option. :idea:

My local Co-op doesn't offer any variety so haven't tried any as they only tend to have plain ham, cheese, egg etc sandwiches. Its a fairly small shop.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
There's this really dodgy chain baguette shop on Northumberland Street in Newcastle called Eat4Less (I think they're also in Liverpool and Birmingham). A baguette, fries and can of pop for £1.75.

Of course the quality is what you'd expect, but I couldn't make a lunch at home for that.

Butts

Veteran Member
My local Co-op doesn't offer any variety so haven't tried any as they only tend to have plain ham, cheese, egg etc sandwiches. Its a fairly small shop.

In the larger outlets they do have a good choice, egg and bacon etc - plus as I mentioned the second item can be a Twin pack of Pork Pies, Saus Roll, Scotch Egg etc :p

fowler9

Established Member
There's this really dodgy chain baguette shop on Northumberland Street in Newcastle called Eat4Less (I think they're also in Liverpool and Birmingham). A baguette, fries and can of pop for £1.75.

Of course the quality is what you'd expect, but I couldn't make a lunch at home for that.

Never seen an Eat4Less in Liverpool. At least nowhere near where I live anyway.

trainmania100

Established Member
I know irs not a meal deal but today I had a packet of 6 Saintsbury's sausage rolls for £1.05 and a packet of crisps, all for under £2 - that is what I call a meal deal

heart-of-wessex

Established Member
£2.99 Baguett (not small!), Walkers crisps (the larger Grab Size bags) and a drink, thought it was good considering it was large stuff. Baguette was £2.45 on it's own.

That was Wings Cafe at Bristol Airport

richw

Veteran Member
I know irs not a meal deal but today I had a packet of 6 Saintsbury's sausage rolls for £1.05 and a packet of crisps, all for under £2 - that is what I call a meal deal

This was my argument earlier in the thread, you can get better than the meal deal buying individual items as you've done. It seems too many people fall for 'offer' or 'deal' without looking at non deal items.

Butts

Veteran Member
This was my argument earlier in the thread, you can get better than the meal deal buying individual items as you've done. It seems too many people fall for 'offer' or 'deal' without looking at non deal items.

Provided I like them I always choose the dearest permitted item in each category :oops: - more value ? :oops:

Status
Not open for further replies.