• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best maintained Northern train interior

Status
Not open for further replies.

bramling

Veteran Member
On the pedantic front, none of the 150/1s have thier original interior. The Birmingham ones were refurbished in the early 1990s with more seats put in. The closest thing I think still on the network to the original 150/1 interior is the class 318s in Scotland (in terms of seat type), but it was 3+2 face seating as built.

The 150/2 where "ashbourne" as built.

Here's a question regarding the units refurbished by First North Western and now used by Northern: did these have facing seats before the FNW refurbishment (i.e. keeping their as-built layout), or was it a conscious decision by FNW to revert to that layout?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The North West 150/1s were all facing seating with the older type of seats (similar to those on 317s), the /2s were airline with Ashbourne seats, as built. FNW didn't change the layout other than to install the large bog.

Failed Unit

Established Member
The North West 150/1s were all facing seating with the older type of seats (similar to those on 317s), the /2s were airline with Ashbourne seats, as built. FNW didn't change the layout other than to install the large bog.

Interesting, I thought "FirstNorthWestern" changed them all to chapman seats, may have got confused with the 156s which had the green stripe down them.

Most admit in terms of 156s / 153s I always hope that the chapman seated ones (from First's half of Northern) turn up rather than the Richmonds (from MTLs half)

Mordac

Established Member
Yup https://1drv.ms/i/s!AhBKiUccWbLegP9eg-ICu97QwcIsAQ
First time I'de seen this unit and I catch the Norwich-Liverpool services about 5 times a week.

Thanks for confirming that! I figured they'd do it because it'd be almost impossible to issue tickets for first class when you just have it on one unit, and then enforce it.

Must be nice to catch it and get a freebie!

northwichcat

Veteran Member

So half of one carriage was always longitudinal seating on one side of the aisle even before the new seats were put in?

class 9

have the ex fnw 150s had new flooring?

three years ago I travelled from manchester to disley and noticed the lino bubbling up

The Newton Heath 150s have been going to Wabtec at Doncaster to have the saloon floors completely replaced because of severe corrosion, this includes new lino, this is an ongoing process that started about 2 years ago.

Lampshade

Established Member
The seats on Northerns 158's are the best of any train. Thick cushioning giving proper support. I'm surely not the only fan, am I? :D

The ones in the ex-TPE centre cars are superb, though the ones in the 158/9 units are rock hard with no legroom.

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Some of the 2 car ones are a mixed bag.

The bay at the very front of 158791 is totally sunk and you just hit the base, whereas the table behind had really soft, supportive seats.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk

tommy_train

I've been on several Northern 158s (normally on the Blackpool -> York service), and though they are looking a little tired (I think a lot of the stuff is original), they are normally relatively well kept (for Northern, that is).

However, I have been in a Northern 158 (I can't remember the unit number) which has had Chapman seats put in, and it not only feels like a crappy journey (158s always make me think I am on a "proper" Intercity franchise train) but the unit just seems less well kept and a bit dirtier - I don't know if this is because of its God-awful seating making other passengers 'less respectful' of the unit, or whether it is just my perception.

I generally find the 323s and 319s to be the most consistently best kept Northern units, and the 14x and 15x (not 158) to be generally the worst.

Nean

A couple of the 156s that are quite often on the CLC route are really quite nice (one was in better nick than the EM 158 that I'd caught a couple of days prior!), however the 150s that sometimes turn up are quite often awful.

You can always tell the regulars on the 0739 out of MCO by the people who are aware the 156 normally turns up at the Piccadilly end and the 142 at the Liverpool end :p

Annoyingly I can't remember the numbers (or names, as a few of the 156s seem to hold) of the nicer ones...

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
Exactly the same most likely except hopefully at least look a little better. 155's are bloody awful full stop... ... I guess they are good enough for Huddersfield via Bradford.

They can be shoved onto the Harrogate diagrams in a four car formation with one being 2x153 and 155 - they're dreadful. We'll have the 170's instead doing the Huddersfields via Bradford.

Established Member
They can be shoved onto the Harrogate diagrams in a four car formation with one being 2x153 and 155 - they're dreadful. We'll have the 170's instead doing the Huddersfields via Bradford.

According to Arriva comments so far 170's are supposed to work the Harrogate route along with one of the Calder Valley stopper Services. Which is essentially my point hopefully when the 170's and 195's arrive the 155's will get relegated to fairly local services along with the 150's for which they are just about good enough for but obviously some route will have to be lumbered with them.

Firesprite

Stagecoach has a culture of "image matters" so their 158s will remain nice just as their buses do - broken seats get fixed, moquette is matched up, damaged panels are replaced and sprayed the right colour. Arriva doesn't (nor does First), so their trains, like their buses, will end up filthy, decrepit and vandalised in no time.
)

Not here in the Fens, Stagecoach buses are filthy with ingrained grime everywhere.

fowler9

Established Member
We seem to get a bit of everything on the CLC. By far my favourite are the 156's, if anything I think the 150's are a proper state and would rather be on a 142 for a short journey.

Established Member
We seem to get a bit of everything on the CLC. By far my favourite are the 156's, if anything I think the 150's are a proper state and would rather be on a 142 for a short journey.

I feel exactly the same mate, if a 142 and 150 turns up, I'll always go for the 142. To me, the 150s feel at least 10 to 15 years older than the much superior 156s, although I think the 319 interiors are quite decent on the whole, apart from those awful bright purple bulkheads and vestibules.

I've never had any complaints about the Merseyrail 507 and 508 interiors either, the addition of litter bins and a smart new moquette to the seats is all they needed, in my view.

fowler9

Established Member
I feel exactly the same mate, if a 142 and 150 turns up, I'll always go for the 142. To me, the 150s feel at least 10 to 15 years older than the much superior 156s, although I think the 319 interiors are quite decent on the whole, apart from those awful bright purple bulkheads and vestibules.

I've never had any complaints about the Merseyrail 507 and 508 interiors either, the addition of litter bins and a smart new moquette to the seats is all they needed, in my view.

Yeah, some of those 150's are like I would imagine a police holding cell to be like.

SquireBev

From Brighouse, now in Brum, via Worcester
Whenever I travel back home to Brighouse I have the dubious pleasure of travelling with London Midland, Cross Country, TPE, and Northern. Whenever I get to Huddersfield and see a Pacer standing in Platform Six I pray it still has bus seats, as I know my knees are in for a squeeze otherwise.

If it's any sort of Sprinter I just throw up my arms in despair.

philthetube

Established Member
Whenever I travel on a 333, Leeds Skipton I am shocked at how dirty it is inside, I have never seen one that looks as if it has ever been mopped. In my experience the stock based in the west is kept much cleaner. The 142's on Colne Preston are always fairly clean even though they have other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.