• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best TOC to work for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

N!ck

What is the best train operating company to work for? Would it depend on the role? Northern seem to be recruiting a lot for various roles, what are they like to work for?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bromley boy

Established Member
Probably an impossible one to answer as “best” is so subjective, and down to the individual.

Location is a key thing for many people, nature of the work, pay, Sundays in v. outside, 4 day week etc.

GTR (both Southern and TL) seem to be edging ahead of the rest in the south east on pay and T’s and C’s.

12guard4

Ageee impossible to say because people rate different aspects with varying levels of importance. Role will also play apart the "best" company for a driver could be the "worst" for a guard.

beavercreek

Impossible to say but I’d say in terms of pay and location then working for Virgin at Preston must be up there.

superhands

It really depends on what role and location, if you are ticket office platforms I would say virgn west coast for the money they are paid. ARL has a customer host role (station based staff) that paid ok as well. And most of EMT and GWR station staff pay is alright.
Train crew wise for guards I think virgin west coast get the highest basic with I think one of the lowest paid is GA. Driver wise Virgin West coast still has the highest basic.
But in all the roles headline pay is not what makes it the best company to work for it can be many things like the people you work with. Work life balance which is so important if you have a crap roster in whatever role you undertake it can and will effect you as work WILL take over your life. Distance from your home to place of work can play a big part of it as well

Impossible to say but I’d say in terms of pay and location then working for Virgin at Preston must be up there.

Preston train managers would disagree with you their. They sign most routes and are kept busy.

Glasgow tms work down to Preston, sit for a few hours and work back.

Don’t get me wrong if it all gone up the wall they get it in the neck but generally lower passenger numbers and double trippers must make them in an envious position.

LETHLFH

It's all down to individuals perception and expectations. I also imagine opinions vary vastly between different grades and different depots. I started with Northern in 2015 have been progressed twice and recently passed out as a driver so I have quite a positive view. If you ask an old hand who has had several battles with management throughout a long career their view will be somewhat different.

rob12

Give southern a wide wide birth, especially their metro depots over worked, constantly moved, and managment are bullying and aggressive in tactics, they will suck the enjoyment of job from you!!!

wanabedriver

Can anyone shed any light on cross country and what the company is like to work for in the Driver grade.

wanabedriver

Yes mate. I’m aware of that. I’m a qualified driver fishing for info as they are currently advertising. The grass isn’t always greener as they say.

whhistle

On Moderation
You can check individual TOCs T&Cs on the ASLEF website via the following link
http://www.aslef.org.uk/page.php?id=54
I don't think you got the gag... I don't know of any train company that doesn't pay 4-weekly.

As others have said, you need to stipulate what criteria you're using for "best".
Plus, there are ups and downs. One might be further away but better terms and conditions, while the closer one may pay less but means a 10-minute commute.
All depends what you're priority is - unfortunately you can't have everything.

lammergeier

Can anyone shed any light on cross country and what the company is like to work for in the Driver grade.

Good pay, good T's & C's, great work, great bunch of boys and girls and if you go to the right depot plenty of variety with routes and traction. What's not to like?

lammergeier

Outside the working week but rostered so you have to arrange cover. Usually fairly easy but if you can't get anyone you have to work.

Barnsey

Good pay, good T's & C's, great work, great bunch of boys and girls and if you go to the right depot plenty of variety with routes and traction. What's not to like?

That's half the battle, knowing which depots are considered "friendlier" than others, but it's all very subjective. From what I've seen as a driver visiting a wide variety of depots on the network, trying to figure out the work content is the crucial part, many of the other details are much the same. Thankfully we have a forum like this to ask questions, goodness knows how else we'd find this stuff out without physically going to stations up and down the country and striking up awkward conversations with unsuspecting drivers on their PNBs.

Ultimately, much of the decision has to be based on the best quality of life and a sensible commute. When you're at work, you're at work. Sitting around is nice every now and then but keeping busy helps the time fly. Suburban stuff is intense but many like it as it's diverse and keeps every day different, whereas the longer distance high speed side can get monotonous depending on TOC.

Status
Not open for further replies.