• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Best/worse thing you have won?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I was just wondering what is the best and worst things people have won like off of lottery tickets,raffles,anything really.

The Best thing I won was on the lottery (family member got me ticket) and I won £100 which aint bad considering I only paid £1.00 but that was just luck!

Worse ever thing I won was in a primary school raffle,I paid a pound for 3 raffle tickets and won first prize in front of a crowd of kids they looked a bit cheesed off I had won,
When I picked up my prize in front of the crowd of kids I thought I had one somthing decent and than the head-teacher handed me a pack of 4-pairs of socks,imagine my disapointment and embarrasment.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

william

Established Member
Picked up £428 in a major angling competition 3 weeks ago, coming 3rd overall:D

As far as gambling goes (not that Ive ever been that into it) Ive had two strokes of luck. First one was when I was 16 and living in Nottingham. I was spending the summer working for my uncle on the sites for which he paid me chicken feed:|. Anyway one boring weekend I had some loose change in my pocket so I walked six miles into town and had a wander round. After buying my dinner I had only my bus fare home. I ignored the blisters on my feet and took a risk, spending £1 of my fare on a scratchcard. I won another quid! So I wandered into another shop and bought another naturally. Won £25:o
Bought a ghetto blaster and some rave tracks and that was it...buzzin man!

Second one was when I was back home walking through my home village with my head down and saw a winning scratchcard on the floor, I just noticed the partially scratched off£1 win, so I picked it up. Imagine my surprise when I scratched off vthe rest to find out it was actually £15!

Dai.

Established Member
I once came second in an archery competition and got a t-shirt...
yeah! beat that.. :s :lol:

Ilove165's

I once came second in an archery competition and got a t-shirt...
yeah! beat that.. :s :lol:

Try a poster of the Vulcan at Windemere after I was the only one to land it on the runway (using MS Flight Sim 04) at Leuchars airshow last month ;)

Oswyntail

Established Member
In the raffle at an archery tournament, I once one a "case" of 5 bottles of wine."5" I queried. Next tournament, I donated 4 bottles of wine, three of which i saw at the next tournament.

Aussie_Rail

A few years ago I went on Tram party tour which was done by a Rover Crew that I know as a fundraiser and they had a raffle and I won a computer mouse lol. As I try to think back to what else I have won, that's the only thing that really comes to mind lol.

43021HST

Established Member
I dont have many wins so my best prize I ever had was a Terrys Chocolate orange for winning a school questionare. Which wasnt a bad prize.

Krispo

I won 2nd price (£50) ona Pathfinder Tour's Mersey Mancunian railtour back in January this year.

I was dancing on the ceiling!

Established Member
I have done quite well in the past in on-train raffles, including winning free tour places / money off a tour more than once :D

Best one however was in Switzerland last year, when I won a free place on one of this year's tours. After the stewards came round handing the prizes out, there was an announcement that the 2nd prize of 50% off a tour was unclaimed; I idly looked through my tickets and discovered that I had won that as well - didn't think of checking after already winning a prize :oops:

Not wishing to be too greedy, I gave the 2nd prize back to be re-drawn and next out of the hat came the one of the tour organiser's tickets! It really was third time lucky for somebody else :lol:

AlexS

Established Member
At work we had a raffle for the local charity. Somehow there was only 4 tickets left for 4 prizes and no one else had clocked that it might be a good investment at 50p a pop for prizes including a £20 electric toothbrush and a huge bottle of wine.

Duly bought them all.

Only to find that none of the numbers matched. The organiser gave me the prizes anyway and asked me to keep quiet :)

Also won a large bottle of Harvey's Bristol Cream on a raffle done by that group who are building a standard 3 at the SVR.

58million on the Euromillions

My heart quickened and panic set in

He then handed me 58 quid. thanks to the noisy lottery machine all I heard was 58 million. Not what he actually said which was 58 ont Euromillions.

Worst Prize Romantic Dinner for two at a top resturant when I was getting a divorce.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Worst? As a young kid I submitted a drawing to a Beatrix Potter themed competition, and won a cake decorated with Potter characters.

1) I don't like cake
2) It was an old cake, and had gone mouldy by the time I got it...

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
58million on the Euromillions

My heart quickened and panic set in

He then handed me 58 quid. thanks to the noisy lottery machine all I heard was 58 million. Not what he actually said which was 58 ont Euromillions.

Worst Prize Romantic Dinner for two at a top resturant when I was getting a divorce.

Haha I bet you got your hopes up and was listing the things you were going to buy out the 58 million and then I bet you were very very disapointed when you were handed £58.00,anyway still a good prize and better than a kick in the nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.