• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Bi-di Piccadilly-Oxford Rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welshman

Established Member
AFAIK both lines linking Manchester Piccadilly and Oxford Rd, along with platforms 13 & 14 at Piccadilly [not sure about 1-4 at Oxford Rd], are signalled for bi-drectional running, although personally, I have never experienced this.

But that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, and in view of the current discussions in another thread about increased congestion on this stretch, does anyone know if there are any scheduled movements "wrong line" on this section, apart from any caused by engineering possessions on the other line?

Also has anyone witnessed any unscheduled "wrong line" movements, eg during late-running?

The little child in me always hopes we'll have a "race" with another train on this section. But then when I became a man, I was supposed to put away childish things. :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dreadnought

28 August 2009 I did the Bi Di "wrong line" through Piccadilly P13 and Oxford Rd P4 before crossing over for Deansgate P2 on the 17:30 Piccadilly - Cardiff Arriva service!

Train was diverted via Warrington Bank Quay to Crewe due to an incident in the Wilmslow area closing the line for a while.

Also, from the December 1990 I have a picture of 47635 Jimmy Milne (with Highland stags!) in P13 with an IC livieried 47/8 in P14 visible behind, with both waiting to depart south

Established Member
I did wrong line working on the section a few years ago when we had been held behind a Virgin Voyager in Platform 14. Eventually we were signalled into 13 and in front of the Voyager and later were then held at Crescent while it passed on the through line.

A couple of services used 13 instead of 14 today. One was the 0650 to Llandudno and the 1537 to Liverpool Lime Street.

The 0650 is in fact by the looks of it booked to use Platform 13 so is a regular wrong line working.

Welshman

Established Member
Thank you for you responses.
I just seem to have been around at the wrong times!

Tufty

does anyone know if there are any scheduled movements "wrong line" on this section, apart from any caused by engineering possessions on the other line?

There are no booked departures of that nature, unless you count the evening Wimslows which come in form Picc on 1 and go back the same way. All platforms at MCO are signalled for bi directional working and permisive working.

The sight of two trains departing from MCO towards Picc tends to be during disruption or dealing with late runners, it keeps the job moving.

TDK

Established Member
About 3 or 4 weeks ago i was on picadilly and a 175 came in wrong line wich suprised me because ive never noticed the signalling.

If the route is signalled with main aspect signalling it is not the wrong line!

Welshman

Established Member
If the route is signalled with main aspect signalling it is not the wrong line!

Yes, thank you, I realise that!!!
That is why I originally put '"wrong line"' in inverted commas!

I was meaning it as shorthand for "trains which would normally be considered to be on the wrong line were the section being unidirectionally signalled in the traditional manner"

The other correspondents who responded seemed to have no difficulty in understanding my meaning.

TDK

Established Member
Yes, thank you, I realise that!!!
That is why I originally put '"wrong line"' in inverted commas!

I was meaning it as shorthand for "trains which would normally be considered to be on the wrong line were the section being unidirectionally signalled in the traditional manner"

The other correspondents who responded seemed to have no difficulty in understanding my meaning.

The only reason I commented as so there was no confusion of working a line in the wrong direction - this is as you probably know as a wrong direction movement where signalling is not provided. There are many places where station approaches are bi directional where one direction is used less than the other.

Welshman

Established Member
Yes, I appreciate that.
Sorry that my original reply seemed a bit sharp.

Last edited:

strange6

Established Member
The only reason I commented as so there was no confusion of working a line in the wrong direction - this is as you probably know as a wrong direction movement where signalling is not provided. There are many places where station approaches are bi directional where one direction is used less than the other.

Salford Crescent being a classic example. I have never seen a train running towards Bolton from Platform 2 even though there is signalling for that movement.

CosherB

Established Member
A few years ago I was on a returning Mid Cheshire Rail User Group special that routed 'wrong line' through platform 14.

mickey

I've seen this quite a few times, though have never witnessed a 'race' as above.

I've seen a couple of container trains being sent along the 'wrong' platform at Piccadilly to get them out of the way of a stopped passenger train - it helps to keep things moving as much as possible around there.

driver9000

Established Member
Salford Crescent being a classic example. I have never seen a train running towards Bolton from Platform 2 even though there is signalling for that movement.

That happens quite bit, I've done that move many times.

driver9000

Established Member
Keeps the job moving instead of keeping a train waiting at Hope Street coming from Victoria while a late runner comes from Castlefield or Ordsall Lane junctions. The train on platform 2 can be completing station duties while the late runner passes by on 1 and can be away right behind it, saving time and congestion.

strange6

Established Member
Keeps the job moving instead of keeping a train waiting at Hope Street coming from Victoria while a late runner comes from Castlefield or Ordsall Lane junctions. The train on platform 2 can be completing station duties while the late runner passes by on 1 and can be away right behind it, saving time and congestion.

Haaaaaa, I see the logic in that. Smart men those Picadilly signallers :)

Nym

Established Member

Plenty of times with the Blackburn and Southport (off airport) services coming in at the same times...

Status
Not open for further replies.