• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Indeed, I intend to do a car and shanks trip next week, too.
Outstanding - because of your trip today and I will be jet lagged tomorrow, I may just do Salford Crescent for photos and then a general overview of the journey. Salford Central concerns me - unless that is "an absolute must" for the team during the blockade next week. When I return to the states on Tuesday, I will get my daughter to drop me off either at the airport or at Piccadilly so will not get to see anything.

LDECRexile

Established Member

edwin_m

Veteran Member
3. As Reg says, Bolton Platform 2 is the first to receive C&C. The end fixings must surely be temporary, as they (layman alert) appear to join C&C direct to the metal wicketkeeper post.
This happened at Glasgow Queen Street too. I guess if they've done the wire and run out of time they just attach it temporarily to the wicketkeeper, and come back later to cut a bit off and insert the insulator.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
And I bet you that could be done overnight or at a weekend in daylight - it does not have to be done in a long possession such as next week. Though of course it could be if logistics, manpower etc allow for it.

LDECRexile

Established Member
This happened at Glasgow Queen Street too. I guess if they've done the wire and run out of time they just attach it temporarily to the wicketkeeper, and come back later to cut a bit off and insert the insulator.

I think they did similar at Manchester Victoria, near "Graham's Grab" about 4 years ago.

For reasons best known to my psychiatrist I managed not to load half my shots into the Combined Volume today.

I've done so now, here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Doh!

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

The cut will be over the beam of the buffer stop, as there's no earthly (geddit?) reason for it to go any further ...

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
...and the west end bays at Reading. I think it was mentioned at the time, if not in the main GW thread could have been in another forum. It happens so often I’m getting a feeling that it might be the best practice, a way of holding the terminating end temporarily but fairly rigidly while they sort out the ‘country end’ of the run...

reg

Bolton-the twin boom mast adjacent to Morrisons footbridge has been reinstated overnight.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Bolton-the twin boom mast adjacent to Morrisons footbridge has been reinstated overnight.
You beat me to it. Just got back from USA and did MIA to PRE via Bolton. I am not optimistic but not concerned either. Amazing progress from when I was last over. Thought there would have been more wire attachments to the great big mega electrical thingy at Lostock but yet there really is a good overlap on the Wigan line. Loads of stove pipes at Bolton and Salford Crescent so it will be interesting to see what the next 10 days brings. Took a couple of shots - not quite sure they are worth publishing but sent them to Dave anyway. South end of Chorley station has an absolutely massive anti-climb guard on one of the masts. Really pleased with the progress in the Buckshaw area.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Wrinkley has kindly sent three shots showing progress at Kearsley.

I've added them to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157654034635234

and to the Combined Volume here:

His accompanying text read:

"I did the Kearsley to Lostock run today.

The good news – South of Kearsley to the tunnel looks to be fully wired on both lines, couldn’t see any temporary fixings.

The bad news – Tunnel to just north of Green Lane, very little change since last Friday, some temporary fixings now replaced. Earth and AF wires still missing in places.

I didn’t look at the town centre area as reg has that covered, but the AF is still missing on the up line between Dean Clough and Mayor St.

Dean Clough to Lostock the only change is that reported by Baz123 Near Ladybridge.

There could be a good C&C wiring run from the golf course footbridge at Lostock to Bolton but some of the TTCs and portals in and around Lostock station still need registration arms."

Thank you Wrinkley.

PN27

LDECRexile" said:
3. As Reg says, Bolton Platform 2 is the first to receive C&C. The end fixings must surely be temporary, as they (layman alert) appear to join C&C direct to the metal wicketkeeper post.

That appears to be standard practice, the ends of most of the wiring runs haven't had insulators fitted yet. On a related note, a number of wire ends appear to be temporarily strapped to the mast and not connected to the Tensorex drums.

Not seen it mentioned yet, the Down Bolton has had Catenary, but NOT Contact wire installed from just south of Kearsley to a point south of the National Grid site. Has this method of installation been forced by the oversailing National Grid power lines? (Incidentally- I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread- at least two 11kV overhead line routes that form part of the local distribution network used to pass over the railway have been diverted to run underneath the railway).

Does anyone know why the masts that hold the Tensorex drums don't, in general, have a stay rod attached to them? The mid-point anchors do, and masts where earth or feeder cables terminate have them as well.

inianin

Really great news. Infrastructure ready in two months - so end of October.
Does "couple" always mean two? Or rather in this case for certain?
I'm asking seriously, English isn't my mother's tongue.
Maybe it's just the difference between an optimist and a pessimist? ;)

LDECRexile

Established Member
You beat me to it. Just got back from USA and did MIA to PRE via Bolton. I am not optimistic but not concerned either. Amazing progress from when I was last over. Thought there would have been more wire attachments to the great big mega electrical thingy at Lostock but yet there really is a good overlap on the Wigan line. Loads of stove pipes at Bolton and Salford Crescent so it will be interesting to see what the next 10 days brings. Took a couple of shots - not quite sure they are worth publishing but sent them to Dave anyway. South end of Chorley station has an absolutely massive anti-climb guard on one of the masts. Really pleased with the progress in the Buckshaw area.

Welcome home Graham, I've added your shots to your album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157651259517065

and to the Combined Volume here:

Have a good visit, maybe we'll ride together under electric power at Christmas?

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
That appears to be standard practice, the ends of most of the wiring runs haven't had insulators fitted yet. On a related note, a number of wire ends appear to be temporarily strapped to the mast and not connected to the Tensorex drums.

This often happened on Liverpool-Manchester, I reckon it's down to ad hoc things like "have we got time to fix it to the drum?"

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned in the thread- at least two 11kV overhead line routes that form part of the local distribution network used to pass over the railway have been diverted to run underneath the railway).

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned, as I've asked a few times if work has been started or completed on oversail problems south of Kearsley, so thank you for doing so.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Does "couple" always mean two? Or rather in this case for certain?
I'm asking seriously, English isn't my mother's tongue.
Maybe it's just the difference between an optimist and a pessimist? ;)

Good question, I'd say "couple", as in "couple of months" means "roughly two".

PN27

I'm pretty sure it hasn't been mentioned, as I've asked a few times if work has been started or completed on oversail problems south of Kearsley, so thank you for doing so.

The routes I know about weren't near Kearsley; one was north of Lostock, the other was about halfway between Bradshaw Fields and Rawlinson Lane.

Forgot to mention- saw a few bits of steelwork lying around in the compound north of Bullfield Tunnels in Bolton, so presumably there are a few more masts to go in there.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
The routes I know about weren't near Kearsley; one was north of Lostock, the other was about halfway between Bradshaw Fields and Rawlinson Lane.

Those were the two lower-voltage pole routes were the OLE couldn't have got under at all - all the other oversails (on towers) have been sorted by either dropping the AF to trough, reducing the encumbrance (distance from contact wire to catenary wire), reducing the contact wire height and fitting low-uplift registration arms e.g. limbo-ing under them, or at one location* re-tensioning the oversaling wires.

* The one over Slackey Brow, I think.

Elecman

Established Member
The big electrical thingy(ATS stations) at Lostock and the ones at Clifton and Blackrod may well be connected by underground cables to the structures so you won’t nrcessarily see things attached to them, unlike the earlier modular TSCs which had airiel connections to the OLE.

wrinkley

The big electrical thingy(ATS stations) at Lostock and the ones at Clifton and Blackrod may well be connected by underground cables to the structures so you won’t nrcessarily see things attached to them, unlike the earlier modular TSCs which had airiel connections to the OLE.

At Lostock a trench was dug from the substation to the portal where the supply is connected to the OLE.

There are photos on the forum of the work done north of Lostock to take the cable under the track.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Those were the two lower-voltage pole routes were the OLE couldn't have got under at all - all the other oversails (on towers) have been sorted by either dropping the AF to trough, reducing the encumbrance (distance from contact wire to catenary wire), reducing the contact wire height and fitting low-uplift registration arms e.g. limbo-ing under them, or at one location* re-tensioning the oversaling wires.

* The one over Slackey Brow, I think.

Informative and reassuring, thank you.

td97

Established Member
Lostock substation isn't quite finished off yet
To add a bit of context (and credibility), the company I work for were still producing new designs for Lostock as recently as last week. I've seen an internal video showing the site and why the new designs are required. It's nothing affecting the electrical side, but is one of the reasons for the blockade.
If there are any recent photos of the substation from the car park it may be possible to see what's going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.