• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowball

Established Member
Drop-in events Bolton, Farnworth, Clifton:

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...t-rail-upgrade-between-manchester-and-preston

Following the successful public information events between Lostock and Chorley earlier this year, three events will take place on the southern end of the route this week where Network Rail and train operator Northern will be on hand to answer questions that residents may have about the work and how it may affect them.

The drop-in events will take place:

Tuesday 31 May, 4pm – 7pm: The Bolton Hub, Bold Street, Bolton, BL1 1LS
Wednesday 1 June, 4pm – 7pm: St Gregorys Social Club, Farnworth, BL4 8AG
Thursday 2 June 2016, 4pm – 7pm: Clifton Community Centre, 6 Wynne Ave, Swinton, M27 8FU

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
It says the track through Chorley tunnel will be lowered but wasn't that done the year before last? The tunnel is not particularly near the station and the focus now seems to be near the latter.

That was my understanding too. So I think they have not worded the document well. Suffice to say track lowering is taking place in the Chorley vicinity and in the station area and supporting works. A JW told me (since I think there is a JW Kingdom Hall extremely close by the station) that they got notification and most of the work is in that area.

chorleyjeff

That was my understanding too. So I think they have not worded the document well. Suffice to say track lowering is taking place in the Chorley vicinity and in the station area and supporting works. A JW told me (since I think there is a JW Kingdom Hall extremely close by the station) that they got notification and most of the work is in that area.

Yes very close to the line. And the Temple is close to the Chorley tunnel and arches.

SodTheDrummer

That was my understanding too. So I think they have not worded the document well. Suffice to say track lowering is taking place in the Chorley vicinity and in the station area and supporting works. A JW told me (since I think there is a JW Kingdom Hall extremely close by the station) that they got notification and most of the worrlek is in that area.

http://www.networkrailmediacentre.c...nel-closure-as-part-of-1bn-railway-investment
http://www.murphygroup.co.uk/projects/chorley-tunnel-and-flying-arches/
Yep, lowering through tunnel and flying arches restoration already done according to the above. The leaflet NR are handing out about Chorley makes no mention of the tunnel, nor does the project page http://www.networkrail.co.uk/chorley/

Is anyone planning to go to the any of the meetings this week? Are they going to tell us anything we don't already know? For instance when they're going to get some bases done between Crescent and Bolton, when is Bolton being remodelled etc..?

Whistler40145

Established Member
Could it be that the track level isn't low enough from the mouth of Chorley Tunnel towards the station, therefore the platforms require rebuilding at the correct height?

Lucky63

The new platform seems to be taking ages to construct.
Then again, they can sort these out in record speed e.g. Workington North

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half

:roll:

There was no station at Workington North prior to one they built, the railway was shut and it was only ever meant to be temporary. Chorley is a live station, on a busy railway and the result will be permanent. No comparison really.

Whistler40145

Established Member
I totally agree with Joseph_Locke, Workington North was built as a temporary station whereas Chorley has permanent built platforms, which are being rebuilt to the specifications required for the electrification of the line.

Mordac

Established Member
Is the freight-only line between Ashbury and Philips Park included in the electrification scheme?

Whistler40145

Established Member
I thought it was as an alternative route for ECS trains from Manchester Victoria to the Siemens depot. No doubt someone will be along with the full facts.

snowball

Established Member
Yes, it's part of the scheme.

I think it's even still supposed to be completed on the same timescale as Victoria to Stalybridge (Dec 2017) - unlike Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, which has slipped to 2022, in line with Stalybridge to Leeds, York and Selby.

Mordac

Established Member
Yes, it's part of the scheme.

I think it's even still supposed to be completed on the same timescale as Victoria to Stalybridge (Dec 2017) - unlike Guide Bridge to Stalybridge, which has slipped to 2022, in line with Stalybridge to Leeds, York and Selby.

Thanks. I thought it was too, and the NW Sparks lists it as included, but I couldn't find any mention of it in any NR documents related to the scheme, hence my confusion.

themiller

Workington North was built from scaffold so would have been subject to weekly safety inspections. What you're looking at is a permanent structure which needs little checking during it's working life and will need a little longer to construct.

Elecman

Established Member
Yes very close to the line. And the Temple is close to the Chorley tunnel and arches.

That is the Mormon Temple not a JW establishment, 2 completely different religious groups/faiths

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Thanks. I thought it was too, and the NW Sparks lists it as included, but I couldn't find any mention of it in any NR documents related to the scheme, hence my confusion.
It is in the Hendy Enhancements Delivery Plan March 16 Update on the NR website - see p.10:
Phase 5
Manchester Victoria to
Stalybridge (Inc Ashburys to
Philips Park) and JTI.
The dates snowball quoted are in the table on p12. (JTI means Journey Time Improvement in addition to electrification).

LDECRexile

Established Member
Plenty of work going on yesterday between Ordsall Lane and Salford Crescent with "orange" men in abundance.

Good.

I repeat below the timetable given out a public meetings earlier in the year. It's now June, has anyone seen any steel between Blackrod and Lostock?

Attachments

• electrification timetable010.jpg
    electrification timetable010.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 43
Crossley's Bridge in Blackpool, the one next to Layton Station, is due to close on the 7th Nov for a complete rebuild.

Today's contribution from the local rag...
http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/o...dge-rebuild-scheme-to-hit-motorists-1-7942928

Massive bridge rebuild scheme to hit motorists
Crossley's Bridge in Blackpool, which is earmarked for demolition

Motorists face months of traffic hell as one of the busiest bridges in Blackpool is demolished and rebuilt.

Preparation work is already under way at Crossley’s bridge, in Plymouth Road, ahead of the rebuild, which will cost around £6.1million.

The work is needed because steelwork on the bridge, next to Layton railway station, is rotting and no longer fit for purpose, the council said.

Partial road closures will begin on Monday July 4 – with council chiefs promising two-way traffic will be maintained at all times.

It will then be fully closed to traffic and demolished from November 7 once the Illuminations are over.

The structure will be replaced by a heightened bridge so Network Rail can install overhead equipment to allow for the electrification of the train line between Blackpool North and Preston................

Read more: http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/o...heme-to-hit-motorists-1-7942928#ixzz4APR5467b

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Good. I repeat below the timetable given out a public meetings earlier in the year. It's now June, has anyone seen any steel between Blackrod and Lostock?

I'm away for a couple of weeks so can't help there.
But the *only* work I am aware of from the new contractors is the foundations west of Chorley flying arches (which don't stretch anything like all the way to Euxton Jn).
If they have done any work east of Chorley apart from labelling the old foundations I have missed it.
It isn't clear (to me anyway) if the current work near Ordsall Lane is being done by the same contractor's team.

Finishing Victoria-Euxton/Stalybridge in 19 months looks a tough ask to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.