• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
I noticed these a few months ago as I passed. As a non railway person it left an impression of poor management. If we have redundant equipment in the factories I work in then we remove it and either re-use or scrap. It's simply basic 'housekeeping'.

The wagons concerned went out of maintenance about 10 years ago (so can't go by rail), and there is (well, was) no easy road access for the kind of low loader you'd need to take them away by road; they are also becoming obsolete so their value is virtually scrap. You would rather the railway spent it's money shifting these than doing something safety critical?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ironside

The wagons concerned went out of maintenance about 10 years ago (so can't go by rail), and there is (well, was) no easy road access for the kind of low loader you'd need to take them away by road; they are also becoming obsolete so their value is virtually scrap. You would rather the railway spent it's money shifting these than doing something safety critical?

So will they be cut up onsite or just left to rot?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
29446536922_78b91c5108_c.jpg

It may well be that the covered way under Wallgate needs attention anyway and that fixing this once and for all is most effective option.

Wow - track lowering - but also as nobody could possibly touch any wire , surely you could do a one time risk assessment and come up with a solution that is not ridiculously expensive?

Senex

Established Member
Wow - track lowering - but also as nobody could possibly touch any wire , surely you could do a one time risk assessment and come up with a solution that is not ridiculously expensive?
What's the state of those bridges? From the picture it looks as if both were originally for two tracks and that in place of one of the tracks there is now massive steel bracing to reduce the effective span. Are they going to need a rebuild at some stage?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
What's the state of those bridges? From the picture it looks as if both were originally for two tracks and that in place of one of the tracks there is now massive steel bracing to reduce the effective span. Are they going to need a rebuild at some stage?

Look - I am biased and an out and out enthusiast. I would love a "Farnworth Tunnel type" approach. I would love a total rebuild and make fit for 21st century structure. I just think that in the current climate NR et al will be tasked with coming up with a less costly/disruptive solution.

Senex

Established Member
Look - I am biased and an out and out enthusiast. I would love a "Farnworth Tunnel type" approach. I would love a total rebuild and make fit for 21st century structure. I just think that in the current climate NR et al will be tasked with coming up with a less costly/disruptive solution.

I was just asking a question - not expressing any view at all as to what I thought ought to be done.

WatcherZero

Established Member

One portal was two track in to the 90's as a freight passing loop, don't know if the other portal ever carried two tracks.

The bridge (which carries the station building, street and shops on the other side of the street) is cracking and so 'temporary' steel braces were installed but that was about five years ago and no rectification work has been done since though the entire station building has been wrapped in scaffolding for a year now with little work evident.

The electrification has always been proposed to North Western as there aren't any structures requiring modification and bridges on the line have plenty of clearance so it should be quite cheap, some lineside structures and radio masts may have to be moved though and of course signalling insulated. Wallgate has always been subject to feasibility with engineers saying it would be unlikely during lostock due to extreme structures cost. As you can see in addition to tight clearances requiring major alteration the structure itself needs work.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
You are correct that the bridges look in an awful state and commonsense should dictate that something more substantial and long term gets done. Here's to hoping. :D

I'm scratchimg my head as to the constructability of a rebuilt bridge. Keeping a vaguely functioning street thoroughfare and station at the same time will be...challenging to say the least!

WatcherZero

Established Member
Yes three times since the Millenium and now for a fourth time theres chatter of doing substantial work rebuilding North Western to accommodate HS2 services and more terminal platforms for services to Liverpool and Manchester as well as doing something about freight generally using the fast roads through the station rather than the slow ones.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
I'm scratchimg my head as to the constructability of a rebuilt bridge. Keeping a vaguely functioning street thoroughfare and station at the same time will be...challenging to say the least!

No doubt at all - hence my earlier post asking if a solution with less cost and/or disruption was in anyway feasible.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Reg has kindly alerted us to realtimetrains showing activity in the Bolton area on Saturday 21st Jan:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/sea...1/21/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=freight&order=wtt

The only passenger trains through Bolton on Sunday appear to be Clitheroe/Blackburn - Manchester Victoria, with services north west through Westhoughton and Chorley replaced by buses, so anyone wanting a Sunday stroll trackside please take a camera.

Could the lone freight to Blackrod carry bridge-building kit?

Could the lone freight to Blackrod carry bridge-building kit?

Quite possibly, the level crossing footpath is closed from 23:00 on 20th Jan to 06:00 on 23rd Jan according to a Lancs CC notice seen on the path today. The Bolton Council notice (the path is right on the border) says 19th Jan for six months!

There's also been a lot of kit dropped trackside around the area of the crossing. They look like piles wrapped in PVC marked Tracktex. (pictures to follow)

Orangemen were also lineside between Blackrod Station and the crossing.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Quite possibly, the level crossing footpath is closed from 23:00 on 20th Jan to 06:00 on 23rd Jan according to a Lancs CC notice seen on the path today. The Bolton Council notice (the path is right on the border) says 19th Jan for six months!

There's also been a lot of kit dropped trackside around the area of the crossing. They look like piles wrapped in PVC marked Tracktex. (pictures to follow)

Outstanding

Tracktex is a Geotextile.
So a reballast at least may be in the offing maybe a full relay.
Any new rails laid out? If not probably just a reballast and laying in of the textile.
There were new rails laid out in February 16 but they've gone and new ballast was evident around September 16.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member

The only passenger trains through Bolton on Sunday appear to be Clitheroe/Blackburn - Manchester Victoria, with services north west through Westhoughton and Chorley replaced by buses, so anyone wanting a Sunday stroll trackside please take a camera.
And Saturday

ALX400

I've checked RTT and there is a path scheduled for the evening of the 20th from Crewe Bas Hall leaving at 21.11 and terminating at Blackrod at 00.15, 800 tonnes could be new ballast prior to bridge installation.?

Last edited:

Class 170101

Established Member

The Sunday trains have now gone, it seems.

CdBrux

My point was something should have been done about them some time before then! To allow that situation to develop in the first place seems to be poor practice.

LDECRexile

Established Member

snowball

Established Member
Press release from earlier this week:

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/passenger-improvements-planned-for-fylde-railway-station/

From November 2017, Network Rail will begin work at Kirkham & Wesham station to increase the number of platforms from two to three. Additionally, a new footbridge with lifts to the platforms will be fitted, meaning that step free access for wheelchair users, families with prams and people with heavy luggage will be provided at the station for the first time. Collectively, these improvements will allow more passengers to get on trains to and from Blackpool South, and on electric trains between Preston and Blackpool North from May 2018.

Passengers will also benefit from more reliable journeys between Preston and Blackpool due to improvements being made to the track layout at several locations, including Kirkham station. Introducing a third platform at Kirkham will allow trains to run more efficiently between Preston and both Blackpool North and South stations.

Additionally, the old signal box – which controls the movement of trains in and out of the station – will be replaced with a new digital traffic light system operated by Network Rail’s railway operating centre (ROC) in Manchester.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
By "digital traffic light system" do they mean LED signals?

Yes indeed, but more importantly should mean things like axle counters, bi-di capability, automatic route setting and direct driver-signaller communication.
But the semaphores are for the scrapheap - especially the one propped up by scaffolding at Blackpool!
This is for the whole line not just Kirkham.

Last edited:

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
QUOTE " From November 2017, Network Rail will begin work at Kirkham & Wesham station " QUOTE

So it looks like this work will start to coincide with Blackpool North blockade. Still it seems it is cutting it tight to be all ready for May 2018. When I was there with Dave over xmas there were Orangeman swarming all over and they said 18 months of work. So something seems contradictory to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.