• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Shaw

It always occurs to me that people who object to noise associated with improvement works must be luddites of some sort, unwilling to put up with any inconvenience for the sake of progress. More irritating still are those who would buy property near or next to country churches and then complain that the chiming of the clock keeps them awake at night or that the ringing of church bells disturbs their Sunday lie-in.

You should have read the message boards/facebook for Buckshaw when the piling equipment was here at Christmas. Trying to explain to people that Christmas the only time this could have be done because of the tie in to the WCML was like banging heads against walls. Some said it should be done "during the times the trains don't pass Buckshaw during the day"!!!!

Some of these are regular commuters too. :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
Ok thanks. I haven't read that thread as I only really bother with threads about the area I live/travel in.

As Chorley's platforms have been rebuilt within the last year, I was surprised they never did all the work then and added masts as part of that work.

The usual lack of joined up thinking?

No, the finalisation of the work at Chorley coincided with Balfours taking their ball home. The Chorley design is fully co-ordinated with the overall OLE design, as was/is Chorley Tunnel, Buckshaw Crossover, the realignment at Lostock, Bolton, Moses Gate, Farnworth, etc.

he fact that the OLE bases weren't installed by Bucks as part of the Chorley works is pretty irrelevant.

There is no lack of joined up thinking - just the usual ill-informed carping.

Lankyline

Report in the Lancashire Evening Post stated that on May 15 a railway maintenance vehicle nearly collided with a 1 tonne steel pile that had been left on the track at Kirkham, the RAIB have said they have conducted a preliminary investigation but have decided to not conduct a full investigation, instead will publish a report and relevant recommendations.

kevconnor

Article from the Blackpool Gazette

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/news/transport/one-tonne-steel-pile-left-on-rail-line-1-8575314

One-tonne steel pile 'left' on rail line

The metal pile was left on the line at Kirkham by engineers
The metal pile was left on the line at Kirkham by engineers
14:58 Friday 02 June 2017

A railway maintenance vehicle came close to hitting a one-tonne metal pile which had been left on the tracks.

The incident happened last month at Kirkham.

The Rail Accident Investigation Branch was called in to examine the circumstances of the near-collision, which happened while the line was closed to trains.

A spokesman for the RAIB said: "At around 5.15 hrs on May 15 a railway maintenance vehicle, which was moving in an engineering possession, stopped short of a large steel pile on the line.

"The pile, weighing around 1 tonne, had been left there on completion of earlier engineering works.

"We have undertaken a preliminary examination into the circumstances surrounding this incident."

RAIB officials have decided not to carry out a full investigation into the incident. Officials are expected to publish their conclusions and any safety recommendations soon.

Trains were due to start running on the line an hour after the incident was reported, the first service departing Blackpool North at 6.19am

Network Rail said it would be carrying out its own investigation into the incident.

A spokesman said: “At Network Rail safety is our highest priority.

"We were immediately notified about the incident on 15 May.

"A full investigation is underway to understand the factors which contributed to this.

"This includes liaising with the Rail Accident Investigation Branch.

"Once the investigation is complete we will ensure clear actions are agreed to stop this happening again.”

The line between Blackpool and Preston is currently being upgraded.

The work, to allow electric trains to run along the route for the first time, involves overnight closures.

As part of the scheme hundreds of metal piles are being driven into the ground. They will provide the foundations for masts carrying the overhead electrical wires.

The route will close completely for 19 weeks from November 18.

Electrification work is due to be completed by May next year.

LDECRexile

Established Member
Bill Morton has kindly sent four photos concerning the Skew Bridge between Adlington and Chorley, with this disquieting note:

"It seems that there might be a problem with the bridge on the A673 which was rebuilt in 2015. A neighbour of mine was recently told by an Orangeman at the bridge that there was a problem with settlement and that it might have to be rebuilt. I went down yesterday and saw that there are markers at every expansion joint in the Adlington side parapet wall. I attach photos of some of these and wondered whether anyone had any more information on this."

I've added the photos to Bill's album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157650900509369

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

I hope these precautions show the concerns to be groundless.

Can any of our experts comment on this?

Thank you Bill.

ALX400

There's 3 Engineering Paths due to terminate at Blackrod tonight from Preston and Warrington showing on RTT will try and check them out :D

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Masts and cantilevers have appeared on the Down line either side of Salford Crescent.
This is from the Ordsall Lane direction, and towards Atherton.
Nothing yet towards Bolton or Victoria, or for that matter through the station.

There now seem to be 4 very large piles between the platform lines at Bolton.
Within the overlap section with the WCML wiring, cantilevers are appearing on the new masts.
Although work is plainly in progress everywhere, I wouldn't put the masts more than 50% complete overall between Lostock and Euxton.
There are still quite long stretches without bases around Lostock and between Farnworth and Salford.

All the new signals are switched on, with PN or MP plates.
There are plenty of unaltered signals in the MP section, seemingly all new in the PN zone.

Last edited:

There's 3 Engineering Paths due to terminate at Blackrod tonight from Preston and Warrington showing on RTT will try and check them out :D

The first one passes through on way to Bolton before returning. They are both timed to arrive at Blackrod within 2 minutes of each other from opposite directions. Might have a wander down later. Pity about the weather

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Masts and cantilevers have appeared on the Down line either side of Salford Crescent.
This is from the Ordsall Lane direction, and towards Atherton.
Nothing yet towards Bolton or Victoria, or for that matter through the station.

There now seem to be 4 very large piles between the platform lines at Bolton.
Within the overlap section with the WCML wiring, cantilevers are appearing on the new masts.
Although work is plainly in progress everywhere, I wouldn't put the masts more than 50% complete overall between Lostock and Euxton.
There are still quite long stretches without bases around Lostock and between Farnworth and Salford.

All the new signals are switched on, with PN or MP plates.
There are plenty of unaltered signals in the MP section, seemingly all new in the PN zone.

Thank you for this. If the signalling is done and dusted that should clear the decks for work on bases, masts etc.

I still worry about the five foot crossings and the National Grid/OHLE discombobulations.

I will be delighted to have my fears proven groundless.

SodTheDrummer

Thank you for this. If the signalling is done and dusted that should clear the decks for work on bases, masts etc.

I still worry about the five foot crossings and the National Grid/OHLE discombobulations.

I will be delighted to have my fears proven groundless.

The bases at Bolton are massive! Today I saw two alongside the old concrete supports for the old station buildings and two further towards Moses Gate. Am off to Harrogate tomorrow, so will try and get a couple of pics.

ALX400

The first one passes through on way to Bolton before returning. They are both timed to arrive at Blackrod within 2 minutes of each other from opposite directions. Might have a wander down later. Pity about the weather

Just took a few grainy photos in the rain on the way home from work and sent them to LD for uploading, them paths are booked each night for the rest of the week till Thursday, two work sites in progress tonight towards Adlington and Horwich Parkway, they are what look like either mast installation trains or ballast renew gear, there's plenty new ballast been dumped.:D

deltic08

On Moderation
The bases at Bolton are massive! Today I saw two alongside the old concrete supports for the old station buildings and two further towards Moses Gate. Am off to Harrogate tomorrow, so will try and get a couple of pics.

Why do you want to visit that railway backwater?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The bases at Bolton are massive! Today I saw two alongside the old concrete supports for the old station buildings and two further towards Moses Gate.

For what it's worth, the Network Rail "fly-through" on the Bolton works shows slender single track cantilevers through the station.
But what we have between P3/4 seem to be LDECR's "TGBU" bases, which usually signify large multi-track portal gantries.
https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...h-west-electrification/manchester-to-preston/

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
The Bolton bases are just shallow versions of the normal steel tubular ones and their internal volume isn't a lot greater. They're shallow to avoid the coal seam that (99% certainly) runs under the station - it's a key reason why the new Orlando Street bridge has no centre pier.

Also, I didn't stop to examine but there is a temporary cover on the down platform at Horwich where last week there was a cross and a mast reference - first in-platform base going in?

chrissawer

The parapets are being raised on the main road bridge over the railway at Salford Crescent.

The south side has been done - coping stones replaced by much taller ones, and the old coping stones have been removed on the north side, presumably in preparation for the same work.

Chrisyd

Looks like the previously discussed blockade of Bolton is going ahead this August, Realtime Trains shows all trains replaced by buses from Saturday 12th August: http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/BON/2017/08/12/0000-2359?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

The last day with the timetable shown as replacement buses all day is currently Sunday 27th August, but unsure if this is because the timetables haven't been updated to reflect what is happening the following week or the blockade has been shortened to 2 weeks (in the back of my mind it was initially mooted to be for 3!)

Edit:
Just found it is also showing on National Rail enquiries, but as two events on concurrent weeks: http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/currentAndFuture.aspx?TravelDate=14/08/2017&TOC=nt

Last edited:

Geeves

Established Member
Not really much to add. Quick to trip to Bolton revealed that South of Salford Crescent is turning into quite a forest of metal work. Piles all the way from Central round so I dont think that section is far away now. As mentioned plenty of metal work going round on the Wigan line. Noticed a few piles id not noticed between Clifton and Kearsley before.

The trench dug for the new approach to platform 5 at Bolton hasn't changed except its now a 4ft8 wide canal :lol:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Bill Morton has visited the three foot crossings to be replaced in the greater Adlington area.

He wrote: "I visited all three Adlington area foot crossing replacement sites today.

At Anderton Lane and Heath Charnock there was no visible sign of any work. Both crossings are fenced off.

At Bradshaw Fields an excavator was at work on the down (western, northbound) side. There was minimal progress on the up (eastern, southbound) side.
"

He included a photo of the Bradshaw Fields work, which I've added to his album here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157650900509369

and to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

Thank you Bill.

Last edited:

LDECRexile

Established Member
Not really much to add. Quick to trip to Bolton revealed that South of Salford Crescent is turning into quite a forest of metal work. Piles all the way from Central round so I dont think that section is far away now. As mentioned plenty of metal work going round on the Wigan line. Noticed a few piles id not noticed between Clifton and Kearsley before.

Fab, fab and fab

The trench dug for the new approach to platform 5 at Bolton hasn't changed except its now a 4ft8 wide canal :lol:

According to Fox News lock gates will be installed during the August blockade.

Sox

On my way to Blackpool North the other day, saw the track rationalisation at Kirkham and Wesham.

Potential for a lot of surplus land to be released?

Greybeard33

Established Member
Previous discussion established that they are only doing the Westhoughton line, which has to be wired for a short distance as a possible overrun site. It would seem there must be enough clearance on the Chorley line.

I noticed today that there are bases from Lostock for about half the distance to Westhoughton. It seems it will be a long overrun.

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
I noticed today that there are bases from Lostock for about half the distance to Westhoughton. It seems it will be a long overrun.

The required overrun distance extends only a little beyond the bridge, but since phase 7 (Lostock to Wigan) will pick this wire and extend it the decision was made to get Phase 4 to build up the location of the OHNS between phase 4 and 7 so that phase 7 didn't have to redo anything (using the insulated overlap provided on the Lostock side of the OHNS). The OHNS is on the straight, which extended the wires from Lostock Junction beyond that required for the overrun.

Who says we don't think ahead ...

Status
Not open for further replies.