• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool - Manchester Electrification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver_m

Established Member
Not sure how much drivervtraining on 319s/Pendos will be required after energisation, but some refamiliarisation will be required for all drivers surely after a 4 month total closure and remodelling/resignalling

6 months without going over it, is the gap needed for VT drivers to require a refresh. A brief required for the resignalling and p/way changes.

nw-sparks

snowball

Established Member

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Is it possible to tell whether it assumes electrification operational between Manchester and Euxton?

I took a trip over the Manchester-Preston via Bolton route the other day. All I can say is no way will it be ready for December 2017. May 2018 is probably the best you can hope for. Will be delighted to be proved wrong of course!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The new timetable starting December 2017 has just been released and at last the Lime Street services are timed for 100mph 319s and slightly accelerated.
For example, see http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/10806708

Well, 2 minutes faster is something I suppose.
Some of this might depend on the completion of remodelling/resignalling at Lime St, but the worst part of the current setup is the way trains are forced to stand for several minutes on the approach to Lime St when they are ahead of the DMU time, and wait for the next departure to free up a path into the station.
The semi-fasts (Airport/Preston) are particularly prone.
Somehow the TPE Newcastles always seem to get a better path in.

Last edited:

darylyates17

The new timetable starting December 2017 has just been released and at last the Lime Street services are timed for 100mph 319s and slightly accelerated.

For example, see http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/10806708

Going slightly off topic as its the Chat Moss route, will the Lime St-Manchester Vic/Air services be timed to 100 MPH from Dec 17 or will it that happen in May 18 when TPE over the Fasts Via Victoria and the Airports become the stoppers

nw-sparks

Is it possible to tell whether it assumes electrification operational between Manchester and Euxton?

There would appear to be some electric trains (e.g. http://www.charlwoodhouse.co.uk/rail/liverail/train/10807483) but I can't see any Scotland services yet.

Note that there's probably more of the new timetable to be downloaded over the next few days, so some services may be missing.

Also note that this is well outside Network Rail's twelve week window, so we can't complain if it all changes later.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Going slightly off topic as its the Chat Moss route, will the Lime St-Manchester Vic/Air services be timed to 100 MPH from Dec 17 or will it that happen in May 18 when TPE over the Fasts Via Victoria and the Airports become the stoppers

Max speed on the Chat Moss route is 90mph (was 75mph before the upgrade).
That's between Astley and Roby.

wrinkley

Interesting comment in the Bolton News regarding Lostock station bridges.

"The section over the Wigan line will be demolished and fully replaced in August while work to strengthen the half of the bridge spanning the Preston line is ongoing."

Not noticed that part before and not seen any work on the Preston bridge.

wrinkley

Doesn't the other half need strengthening as well?
Would have thought that it would be subject to the same loads.
Or is that just assuming too much?
Or has it been done already?

The two bridges are identical and have been subject to a 3 ton weight limit for many years. Neither the planning application for the replacement of the Wigan line bridge, or Network Rail's press statement before work started made any mention of strengthening the Preston line bridge.

On the other hand, the Bolton News have been wrong before.

thealexweb

Is anyone in a position to explain why the existing Wigan spans are a write off but the Chorley ones can be salvaged through strengthening? Given the limited distance between the platforms and the bridge you would think the Chorley side would need more work not the other way around.

Last edited:

Greybeard33

Established Member
Is anyone in a position to explain why the existing Wigan spans are a write off but the Chorley ones can be salvaged through strengthening? Given the limited distance between the platforms and the bridge you would think the Chorley side would need more work not the other way around.
The Wigan line bridge needs raising for electrification clearances but the Chorley line one does not - see previous posts #4415, #4439 & #4560:
They aren't raising it much, from 4.5m to 4.866m clearance and its pretty much same width both above and below within rounding margin.

Only the Westhoughton line deck (aka LCN/1) is being rebuilt. for Reference 350mm is a lot when the deck is full of services and the entire bridge is the summit of a hill already.

The required overrun distance extends only a little beyond the bridge, but since phase 7 (Lostock to Wigan) will pick this wire and extend it the decision was made to get Phase 4 to build up the location of the OHNS between phase 4 and 7 so that phase 7 didn't have to redo anything (using the insulated overlap provided on the Lostock side of the OHNS). The OHNS is on the straight, which extended the wires from Lostock Junction beyond that required for the overrun.

Who says we don't think ahead ...

wrinkley

The underside of the bridges are at the same level, but the Wigan line appears to climb from the junction, possibly giving less clearance to the underside of the bridge than the Preston line.

snowball

Established Member
The two bridges are identical and have been subject to a 3 ton weight limit for many years. Neither the planning application for the replacement of the Wigan line bridge, or Network Rail's press statement before work started made any mention of strengthening the Preston line bridge.
So will road traffic be presented with a new span over the Wigan line in series with an old span over the Chorley line, where the latter is still subject to a 3 tonne limit?

wrinkley

So will road traffic be presented with a new span over the Wigan line in series with an old span over the Chorley line, where the latter is still subject to a 3 tonne limit?

That's what seemed to be the case before the strengthening of the Preston line bridge was reported. Hopefully the strengthening will remove or at least raise the weight limit.

Shaw S Hunter

Established Member
6 months without going over it, is the gap needed for VT drivers to require a refresh. A brief required for the resignalling and p/way changes.

I'm fairly certain that Northern have the same rules. The brief will be quite detailed with a decent handout and video presentation which will likely include a decent simulation of the final situation, provided that the product is delivered as per the design!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I don't know if this is new news or not, but some wires are now up on the Bolton line north of Ordsall Lane Jn.
I was viewing from a Liverpool train so didn't see how far they went towards Salford Crescent, maybe only to the Liverpool St bridge.
The registration gear, although it is installed, has not yet been attached to the wires.

"Water St Junction" for the Ordsall Chord is now installed on the Castlefield viaduct, with masts and registration gear going up towards the new Irwell bridge.
This seems to have gone in without a blockade.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I don't know if this is new news or not, but some wires are now up on the Bolton line north of Ordsall Lane Jn.
I was viewing from a Liverpool train so didn't see how far they went towards Salford Crescent, maybe only to the Liverpool St bridge.
The registration gear, although it is installed, has not yet been attached to the wires.

"Water St Junction" for the Ordsall Chord is now installed on the Castlefield viaduct, with masts and registration gear going up towards the new Irwell bridge.

A short overun stretch of the Down Bolton has had wires for several years, installed as part of what was comissioned for the Chat Moss phase - I think it was the first run to go up in the Ordsall Lane area.

LDECRexile

Established Member
I travelled Southport-Bolton-Man Vic and back today.

I've added Salford Crescent and Bolton photos to the Combined Volume here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127646831@N03/albums/72157661069863633

I updated the Progressometer. The only faintly significant difference is a true number for Deal St Jct to Salford Central. The other trivial changes are likely to be logging scatter. Waste of time doing it, especially as it says nothing about north of Lostock. I see no value in publishing it.

Last edited:

driver9000

Established Member

Water Street Junction was installed during the weekend blockades at the beginning of July.

Status
Not open for further replies.