• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool North Bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

badger1badger

Hi everyone

We are stopping in Blackpool till Sunday 18th November

Checking train line it is telling me a bus to burley taking 3 hrs, I am thinking what other options are available

Leeds to Blackpool south and return?

Can we go to Blackpool north and return from the south ?

If we get tickets are they to all stations in Blackpool or specifically north,south, pleasure beach ?

Any ideas- we want to get back to leeds around 4pm

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Blackpool South is closed on Sunday until March now. IIRC there's engineering works on from now until December on all Blackpool lines on Sunday.

badger1badger

Blackpool South is closed on Sunday until March now. IIRC there's engineering works on from now until December on all Blackpool lines on Sunday.

There is a bus to Preston - then Preston to Manchester - then to leeds - this seems the best option with the train part being transpennine

Any further ideas ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Can we go leeds to Blackpool on Friday 16th via Halifax and hebden bridge
....... Then on the Sunday get the bus :( to Preston then Manchester pic then leeds
On the same return ticket ?
Just trying to avoid the 2 hour bus to burnley

John @ home

Established Member
Can we go leeds to Blackpool on Friday 16th via Halifax and hebden bridge
....... Then on the Sunday get the bus :( to Preston then Manchester pic then leeds
On the same return ticket ?
Almost. On Friday 16 November, buy an Anytime Return Leeds - Blackpool North route via Burnley. This costs £26.50 per Adult, or £17.50 with a Railcard.

Then excess the return portion of the ticket only to an Off-Peak Return Leeds - Blackpool North route Any Permitted. The route Any Permitted ticket is valid via Manchester. This ticket costs £35.70 (£23.55 Railcard). The excess fare for the return portion only is half the difference, that's £4.60 (£3.05 Railcard), making a total cost of £31.10 (£20.55 Railcard).

If you are able to buy the ticket when Leeds travel centre is open, buy the excess fare there at the same time. I find they are quite good with excess fares.

Squaddie

There's no point in paying for a train only for the TOC to bundle you onto a replacement bus service.

National Express runs hourly coaches from Leeds to Blackpool, for about £9 each way.

Gathursty

Established Member
Possibly get the 42 bus to Lancaster then a ticket covering Lancaster-Leeds? The timing needs to be right though as that line has an awful schedule!

SWT_USER

On a slightly related note I'm in Blackpool this weekend. How long does the rail replacement to Preston take and if there are a group of you is it worth getting a cab?

34D

Established Member
On a slightly related note I'm in Blackpool this weekend. How long does the rail replacement to Preston take and if there are a group of you is it worth getting a cab?

Do some of the coaches mirror the York trains and go nonstop Blackpool-Preston?

badger1badger

Hi it seems to be about 40 mins
York-Blackpool (train) services call at Poulton-le-Fylde between Preston and Blackpool.

Hi - I am not sure poulton will help - what are you thinking as an alternative ?
There's no point in paying for a train only for the TOC to bundle you onto a replacement bus service.

National Express runs hourly coaches from Leeds to Blackpool, for about £9 each way.

I have only seen fares about 18 pounds each way ? Where are the £9 ones ?
Almost. On Friday 16 November, buy an Anytime Return Leeds - Blackpool North route via Burnley. This costs £26.50 per Adult, or £17.50 with a Railcard.

Then excess the return portion of the ticket only to an Off-Peak Return Leeds - Blackpool North route Any Permitted. The route Any Permitted ticket is valid via Manchester. This ticket costs £35.70 (£23.55 Railcard). The excess fare for the return portion only is half the difference, that's £4.60 (£3.05 Railcard), making a total cost of £31.10 (£20.55 Railcard).

If you are able to buy the ticket when Leeds travel centre is open, buy the excess fare there at the same time. I find they are quite good with excess fares.

John this is totally new to me - if I ask as above will they understand ?

Squaddie

I have only seen fares about 18 pounds each way ? Where are the £9 ones ?
Just go the National Express website.

For travel from Leeds to Blackpool on Friday 16 November and return on Sunday 18 November, all departures are either £8.50 or £9.25 each way. Some departures are direct, whereas others require a change in Manchester.

snail

Established Member
Possibly get the 42 bus to Lancaster then a ticket covering Lancaster-Leeds? The timing needs to be right though as that line has an awful schedule!
The OP's aim is to avoid a long bus journey. Your suggestion takes about 90 minutes, stopping at every bus stop on the way!

John @ home

Established Member
excess the return portion of the ticket only to an Off-Peak Return Leeds - Blackpool North route Any Permitted.
John this is totally new to me - if I ask as above will they understand?
They ought to. Your right to pay an excess fare if travelling by a more expensive route is set out in NRCoC Condition 13(e).

The reason I suggest buying the excess fare at the same time as the travel ticket at Leeds travel centre is that, should you encounter an inexperienced clerk with little knowledge of excess fares, there are usually a sufficient number of experienced experts around to sort things out immediately.

Like many transactions in the over-complex British railway system, it's possible for the staff to make an error. The first thing for you to check is that the return leg of your ticket is excessed to an Off-Peak Return Leeds - Blackpool North route Any Permitted. An inexperienced clerk may assume that an Anytime Return can be excessed only to another Anytime Return. That's not so. Your right is to pay "the difference between the price paid for the ticket you hold and the price of the lowest priced ticket(s) available at a ticket office for immediate travel that would have entitled you to travel by that route". Validity code 8A tells us that Return travel with a Off-Peak Return Leeds - Blackpool North route Any Permitted is "Valid on any train", so there's no need to pay for an Anytime Return.

I find the most common error I encounter when purchasing a change of route excess fare is to be asked to pay exactly twice the amount I was expecting. This occurs when the clerk inadvertently asks the ticket machine to excess both legs, rather than just the return leg, of the journey. A very helpful supervisor at Bristol TM demonstrated to me a few months ago just how easy it is to cause this to happen. If it does happen, the clerk needs to scroll back 2 or 3 screens and choose a different option.

The additional ticket will show EXCESS towards the bottom right, and VALID ONLY WITH TICKET abcde at the top, where abcde is the Number of your Leeds - Blackpool North route Via Burnley ticket. The Ticket Type is X/S ALT RTE RTN.

badger1badger

Hi everyone

Just to say thank you very much for the advice

We got the tickets paid the excess, all went perfect

Cheers

Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.