• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Was that summer 2021? That was all they could manage with the staff or lack of. This year the 15 minutely Fleetwood is being supplemented by the 15 minutely Little Bisphams too, giving a tram every 7 minutes - not including any 'specials' running or the B fleet being out.
Pre-lockdown so 2019. It was definitely needed on Market days.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

freddiem

Fleetwood used to be every 10, every 15 will struggle to work.
Pre-pandemic, every 15 mins would have fallen apart by 1000 on market days. the trams would be leaving people behind. On those days, every 10 is needed and possibly some crowdbusters too, to supplement on the busy core.

Tramfan

Was that summer 2021? That was all they could manage with the staff or lack of. This year the 15 minutely Fleetwood is being supplemented by the 15 minutely Little Bisphams too, giving a tram every 7 minutes - not including any 'specials' running or the B fleet being out.
They ran something like that last year for a bit during the summer, although the Little Bisphams didn't come out until about 10am, so were far too late to hit the hotel exodus from the North Prom into the centre. There were also random timetabled gaps after a few hours, presumably due to the lack of staff you mention, meaning no relief crew and so the trams simply disappeared back into Starr Gate Depot!

Pre-lockdown so 2019. It was definitely needed on Market days.
Ahh right. I only started 2021 so didn't know that! I think the plan for this year is as I mentioned, every 7 minutes which requires 13 out of 16 trams. Until trams 004 & 018 return then we're gonna struggle otherwise, but I think the B fleet will be helping out on certain days - perhaps market days. If there are any trams spare that aren't on maintenance then myself and my guard have agreed to run additional 'special' services as overtime such as 'crowd busters'

Can the heritage trams run up the Blackpool North extension ?
As far as I'm aware, no and there are no plans to be made to go up there. 754, the overheads engineering tram, went up on Wednesday night to test the overhead and trolley pole compatibility but I think that's about it

Last edited:

DanNCL

Established Member
As far as I'm aware, no and there are no plans to be made to go up there. 754, the overheads engineering tram, went up on Wednesday night to test the overhead and trolley pole compatibility but I think that's about it
Although one has to wonder what the point of testing trolley pole compatibility was if only Flexities are to ever go up there.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Although one has to wonder what the point of testing trolley pole compatibility was if only Flexities are to ever go up there.
In service, maybe - but it's quite likely private charters will be requested that would include the new spurs. Anyone can charter a heritage tram in Blackpool and request whatever route they want; I've done it myself and got the turning loops in, including the Bispham one with Bolton 66 as the traction... it's quite likely people will want to take heritage trams up to North.

mmh

Established Member
It's something to do with the spacing, or lack of, between the tracks to facilitate the parking outside Premier Inn. Trams would be foul of each other by about 6inch
I walked past earlier today. The southbound track looks to slew to the right outside the Premier Inn. It's not obvious why though, the road itself doesn't appear to narrow, and the parking spaces were fully occupied and didn't look like they'd foul a straight track. They were all cars or light vans though, but is there any need to cater for anything more? It's a Premier Inn - unlike many hotels it doesn't need to accommodate anything like coach drop-offs, surely?

No crossover, so impossible to run a shuttle service from platform bottom of Talbot Rd to the new Holiday Inn (near BPN) - Special events/ traffic or tram jams on Promenade etc.(Switch ons, cycling the lights, concerts)
(Originally were to be 2 platforms at entrance to Talbot Road plans, now only one) A Stop near Abingdon St for shops and Winter Gardens would be popular.
Not being able to pass another tram?

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
In service, maybe - but it's quite likely private charters will be requested that would include the new spurs. Anyone can charter a heritage tram in Blackpool and request whatever route they want; I've done it myself and got the turning loops in, including the Bispham one with Bolton 66 as the traction... it's quite likely people will want to take heritage trams up to North.
Branch Line Society have done quite a few charters and have even travelled over dewired sections of track. Propulsion being provided by the bus recovery truck.

This photo shows how it is done: L2019_0027.jpg

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
How often do the modified non-heritage Balloon trams (with bus style doors and purple livery) get diagrammed on normal services? Is it regular or just when Flexity trams are short.

Tramfan

How often do the modified non-heritage Balloon trams (with bus style doors and purple livery) get diagrammed on normal services? Is it regular or just when Flexity trams are short.
They don't generally, there may have been the odd isolated occasion when one of them has run a few journeys on timetable, but they are generally used alongside the other trams on the heritage tours. Occasionally in the illuminations period they will work non-timetabled "specials" i.e. picking up at the platforms and taking normal tickets, usually with a crew that will later go on to work illumination tours as the 2nd part of their duty.

plugwash

Established Member
I walked past earlier today. The southbound track looks to slew to the right outside the Premier Inn. It's not obvious why though, the road itself doesn't appear to narrow, and the parking spaces were fully occupied and didn't look like they'd foul a straight track. They were all cars or light vans though, but is there any need to cater for anything more? It's a Premier Inn - unlike many hotels it doesn't need to accommodate anything like coach drop-offs, surely?
One issue I see is that trams can't swerve.

So I would imagine you want a fairly generous margin between a tram track and a parking space in case of poorly parked or oversized vehicles.

davehsug

Nice to see that the promenade webcam is finally up & running again after a couple of months. I can get back to "keeping an eye" on things!

cool110

...I would imagine you want a fairly generous margin between a tram track and a parking space in case of poorly parked or oversized vehicles.
If you go down the line to Fleetwood you can see a buffer between the edges of the parking spaces and the swept path.

Clip

Established Member
I see they now have the signals up at the junction of dickson road and Talbot road - all new light sequence for cars to get used too too. Cant wait for it to open

theblackwatch

Established Member
They don't generally, there may have been the odd isolated occasion when one of them has run a few journeys on timetable, but they are generally used alongside the other trams on the heritage tours. Occasionally in the illuminations period they will work non-timetabled "specials" i.e. picking up at the platforms and taking normal tickets, usually with a crew that will later go on to work illumination tours as the 2nd part of their duty.
Last year, they operated on a few peak summer weekends on relief normal services (rather than on 'heritage' workings). A friend of mine who volunteers there thinks they will probably be similarly used this year.

davehsug

Last year, they operated on a few peak summer weekends on relief normal services (rather than on 'heritage' workings). A friend of mine who volunteers there thinks they will probably be similarly used this year.
I still believe that the twin-cars would have been better suited for relief work. The deckers capacity is too low downstairs.

Trackman

Established Member
Last time I was on a Balloon must have been 25 years ago, I remember the windows being very scratched (not due to vandalism).
Also do these tours sell out quick?
Nice to see that the promenade webcam is finally up & running again after a couple of months. I can get back to "keeping an eye" on things!
Do you have a link please?

Tramfan

Last time I was on a Balloon must have been 25 years ago, I remember the windows being very scratched (not due to vandalism).
I'm not sure to be honest, the booking of the tours was something that was brought in during COVID to manage numbers of people on each tram, prior to COVID they used to run to a timetable and it was turn up and go (which I preferred).

Do you have a link please?
Blackpool Webcam

It's on the Viva Vegas Diner building, which is about halfway between the North Pier and Tower tram stops looking south

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Yes; the heritage tram people at Blackpool frequently tweet about tour availability and quite often are updating saying that certain dates are full.

If you're planning a trip specifically to go on a tour it would probably be a good idea to keep an eye on their Twitter feed before committing to any accommodation. It's open ( i.e. non-Twitter members can view the tweets ) and it's here: https://twitter.com/BplHeritageTram?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

davehsug

All of their twin cars are awaiting some kind of overhaul, so that's probably why the use the Balloons.
Yes I know. I meant when the balloons were originally selected for modernisation for relief. It just made sense to me. All lower deck accomodation & 2 entances/exits.
I still fondly remember when they were actually used on Starr Gate-Fleetwood service just prior to the closedown for the new system.

DJ_K666

Willing to bet that the hotel has some of the best occupancy rates in the town when things get back to normal. Lack of car park will be irrelevant.
I wonder if the staff will be like the guest house landlady's of old. Firce as a drill sergeant, tough as old boots and wrinklier than a Shar-Pei.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Willing to bet that the hotel has some of the best occupancy rates in the town when things get back to normal. Lack of car park will be irrelevant.

There is absolutely loads of street level public car parking in Blackpool - basically the old Central site plus a widened section around the old trackbed all the way down to South station (a good couple of miles) - it sort of feels like the whole thing is one big car park sometimes. People won't be bothered if their hotel has parking or not given that.

There is absolutely loads of street level public car parking in Blackpool - basically the old Central site plus a widened section around the old trackbed all the way down to South station (a good couple of miles) - it sort of feels like the whole thing is one big car park sometimes. People won't be bothered if their hotel has parking or not given that.

Firstly, part of the old Wilko site is going to be car parking awaiting the next stage of the redevelopment of that area, but the site is immediately next to Talbot Road multi-story car park, the first multi-story car park in Britain, with over 500 spaces and Sainsbury has parking for a 250+). Secondly, most of Central Car Park, the old Central railway station site closes in the next year as part of the major £300m Blackpool Central redevelopment.

Clip

Established Member
There is absolutely loads of street level public car parking in Blackpool - basically the old Central site plus a widened section around the old trackbed all the way down to South station (a good couple of miles) - it sort of feels like the whole thing is one big car park sometimes. People won't be bothered if their hotel has parking or not given that
As Angelicupstart has said all that central area is ready to have the hoardings up for redevelopment - Bonny street market traders ahve been told this is the last year iof their existence ( though i dont think Talbot road was the first multi story in Britain)

And that area where the old railway has lots of parking for coaches which is great for day trippers and for the football stadium and further down it assists with those who cant park outside their B&Bs and so forth and they do get full especially at the weekends so they serve their purpose well.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Talbot Road was the first multi-storey integrated with public transport-it had the bus station below. Although why people parking a car in a town centre would want a bus was never explained. But is perhaps why the idea never caught on.

Status
Not open for further replies.