• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Blackpool trams

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Talbot Road was the first multi-storey integrated with public transport-it had the bus station below. Although why people parking a car in a town centre would want a bus was never explained. But is perhaps why the idea never caught on.

It did at least in nearby Preston. And it is not at all unusual for smaller towns to have the main bus stop in the main public car park, which was more about having all the "road transport stuff" in the same place rather than integration, though it is to some extent useful for "kiss and ride".

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikey C

Established Member
Firstly, part of the old Wilko site is going to be car parking awaiting the next stage of the redevelopment of that area, but the site is immediately next to Talbot Road multi-story car park, the first multi-story car park in Britain, with over 500 spaces and Sainsbury has parking for a 250+). Secondly, most of Central Car Park, the old Central railway station site closes in the next year as part of the major £300m Blackpool Central redevelopment.
Which will include a replacement 1,306 space multi-storey car park

Howardh

Established Member
Which will include a replacement 1,306 space multi-storey car park

Thanks for that info; always amazes me these days when, in times of environment awareness, they plan for a 1300-space car park ironically on an old station site; when they really should be focussing on getting people there by public transport. If people MUST use their cars, then shouldn't we have P+R outside town to stop clogging the inner roads up with cars? I suppose though it will be possible to get there quite easily by tram from Blackpool North once the line's completed, so that's something!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Thanks for that info; always amazes me these days when, in times of environment awareness, they plan for a 1300-space car park ironically on an old station site; when they really should be focussing on getting people there by public transport. If people MUST use their cars, then shouldn't we have P+R outside town to stop clogging the inner roads up with cars? I suppose though it will be possible to get there quite easily by tram from Blackpool North once the line's completed, so that's something!

Blackpool isn't particularly clogged up with cars - ironically because of the approach road on the old Central route trackbed!

Mikey C

Established Member
Blackpool isn't particularly clogged up with cars - ironically because of the approach road on the old Central route trackbed!
Yes, that's a direct route into Central.

I've no idea why they need such a big multi storey though, as I can't see why so many people if they are driving would want to park there, rather than elsewhere in Blackpool

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Yes, that's a direct route into Central.

I've no idea why they need such a big multi storey though, as I can't see why so many people if they are driving would want to park there, rather than elsewhere in Blackpool

it’s going to be a massive attraction, with thousands of visitors a day.

Mikey C

Established Member
it’s going to be a massive attraction, with thousands of visitors a day.
That multi storey though would only be used by people just coming in for the day or staying in that part of town. Anyone coming in to stay in the existing hotels and B&Bs would park near them (or use the train or coaches etc)

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
That multi storey though would only be used by people just coming in for the day or staying in that part of town. Anyone coming in to stay in the existing hotels and B&Bs would park near them (or use the train or coaches etc)

I wouldn't agree. Somewhere like Blackpool you come in, park up and drink lots, with your car remaining there for the weekend (it's usually a weekend). So how close to your accommodation you park is less important, and plenty parked on the South site for that sort of purpose.

Tram 010 has gained some new vinyls to celebrate the queen's platinum jubilee - here it is in Starr Gate depot the day they were applied.

We've also had it confirmed that the summer timetable (starting around 12th June) will see a 12 minute service throughout the day (not including additional services or the B fleet), going to a 15 minute service in the evening with every other tram terminating at Little Bispham

Attachments

• IMG_20220506_162737.jpg
    IMG_20220506_162737.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_20220506_162806.jpg
    IMG_20220506_162806.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 61

philthetube

Established Member
Two questions,

Do you know how many trams are needed to opetate the service?

Who crews the B fleet? (assuming it is used).

Once again, needs a 10 minute service, especially on market days.
Unfortunately we simply don't have enough drivers to do anything more than 12 minutes. The plan initially was hoped to be 7 minutely but we're about 10 drivers short of being able to do this.

Two questions,

Do you know how many trams are needed to opetate the service?

Who crews the B fleet? (assuming it is used).
It'll probably be 11 trams to operate the service throughout the day out of 16 currently operational.

B fleet is crewed by heritage staff with very few at Starr Gate also having the competency to do this - I'm hoping to have the training done on these with my conductor as it allows us more flexibility throughout the year then

davehsug

Tram 010 has gained some new vinyls to celebrate the queen's platinum jubilee - here it is in Starr Gate depot the day they were applied.

We've also had it confirmed that the summer timetable (starting around 12th June) will see a 12 minute service throughout the day (not including additional services or the B fleet), going to a 15 minute service in the evening with every other tram terminating at Little Bispham
Why that late? Are they not expecting the Jubilee weekend to be busy too? The summer service always used to start the week before the late May bank holidy.

Tramfan

Why that late? Are they not expecting the Jubilee weekend to be busy too? The summer service always used to start the week before the late May bank holidy.
In recent years the start of the summer service has actually tended to coincide with Easter

Clip

Established Member
Well if they did do it, surely it'd make sense to do it again?
That would be fine if it wasnt to the detriment of the bus services - they still struggle on some routes with drivers. plus how long does it take to train a tram driver?

philthetube

Established Member
That would be fine if it wasnt to the detriment of the bus services - they still struggle on some routes with drivers. plus how long does it take to train a tram driver?
4 Weeks, that would be four weeks that they would not be available for bus driving,

edwin_m

Veteran Member
If you have a larger pool of trained staff, it's less likely that some of those duties will be uncovered due to sickness. This applies even if the ratio of staff to duties is the same. However, the necessary training to drive both trams and buses may reduce the productive time for people trained to do both.

Clip

Established Member
Well I guess you prioritise your workforce to where they're most needed.
Thats fine - however given that buses provide a much wider and better service over the blackpool area then they would always be prioritised which could then lead to less tram drivers available
4 Weeks, that would be four weeks that they would not be available for bus driving,
Thanks - so not long but as you say 4 weeks of no drivers on the buses.

So its not a very good idea at all IMO

CH7997

003 is back on regular revenue duties today for the first time since end of January.

I see they now have the signals up at the junction of dickson road and Talbot road - all new light sequence for cars to get used too too. Cant wait for it to open
None of the signals worked when 012 and 017 went up to North Station on test a few months ago.

Last edited:
Cycled up Talbot Road from sea front on Sunday, thought I must have missed a red light, luckily a car crossing was taking great care, went back and found the red light had been removed, now only a tram signal?

003 is back on regular revenue duties today for the first time since end of January.

None of the signals worked when 012 and 017 went up to North Station on test a few months ago.
003 has been in passenger a fair few times since January, albeit not exactly often. It was waiting for a part to be delivered so was on restricted duties until today.

I don't know about Talbot Road because I've not been up it, but the Tram Controller Lights (TCLs) - the white LEDs - at Talbot Square are active and are currently turned 90 degrees away from the trams so as not to confuse us drivers until they are made fully active. The Point Position Indicators (PPIs) which is the red bar are switched off.

CH7997

Yes 003 has been out several times since January but never lasted more than a day. That's the problem with intermittent faults, we can only fix it when it appears lol.

CH7997

I counted 11 in operation yesterday Tram 3 was out Tram 2 on driver training
Back to 16 trams operational now.
004 has been awaiting spares since 10/2019.
018 has been awaiting repairs since it's RTC at Rossall back in 05/2021.
The system goes to an 11 tram TT starting Sunday 12th June.

D.K.TAYLOR

Back to 16 trams operational now.
004 has been awaiting spares since 10/2019.
018 has been awaiting repairs since it's RTC at Rossall back in 05/2021.
The system goes to an 11 tram TT starting Sunday 12th June.
I spoke to a conductor yesterday he told me 18 was hit by a lorry and 04 is the other one needed for a ride had 03 and 05 new so will give Blackpool a miss for a while till the 2 repaired cheers for update

Status
Not open for further replies.